1.5T CVT Cooler/Intercooler, worth upgrading?

bmfontdevila

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Going to start this off with: I live in Florida, it is hotter then the devil's taint 90% of the year. This has led me to seriously consider buying a CVT Cooler and upgrading my intercooler. Moreso for the longevity of the engine and CVT and a little bit for the performance gains. My life is pretty spread out so I drive alot, most of the time not overly aggressive, but I do push it at least once a day on the highway ramp home.

Would an aftermarket intercooler and/or CVT Cooler be in my best interest to add to the list? Gonna need something to spend money on next year ???
Sponsored

fkseven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7
Country flag
Going to start this off with: I live in Florida, it is hotter then the devil's taint 90% of the year. This has led me to seriously consider buying a CVT Cooler and upgrading my intercooler. Moreso for the longevity of the engine and CVT and a little bit for the performance gains. My life is pretty spread out so I drive alot, most of the time not overly aggressive, but I do push it at least once a day on the highway ramp home.

Would an aftermarket intercooler and/or CVT Cooler be in my best interest to add to the list? Gonna need something to spend money on next year ???
Intercooler would help a lot in hot climates, but definitely go for the cvt cooler it is totally worth it.

OP
OP
bmfontdevila

bmfontdevila

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Intercooler would help a lot in hot climates, but definitely go for the cvt cooler it is totally worth it.
Do you notice a change in warm up time with the the cooler upgrades? 85% of the time I have the time to let the car warm up from cold but some days I'm in a rush and gotta blitz real quick.

fkseven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7
Country flag
Do you notice a change in warm up time with the the cooler upgrades? 85% of the time I have the time to let the car warm up from cold but some days I'm in a rush and gotta blitz real quick.
I do not have the cvt cooler installed on my car, partly because idk where to find one that fits cause PRL discontinued their cooler kit. If you put cooler on you will need to warm up the car maybe 5 extra minutes. Anyone think a universal cooler would work?

bdsport

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatch CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I do not have the cvt cooler installed on my car, partly because idk where to find one that fits cause PRL discontinued their cooler kit. If you put cooler on you will need to warm up the car maybe 5 extra minutes. Anyone think a universal cooler would work?
A universal cooler would work but the biggest issue is finding an adaptor plate that would replace the factory CVT warmer and lead into the cooler lines. Im sure an email to PRL could be helpful getting CAD files and then getting it custom machined

OP
OP
bmfontdevila

bmfontdevila

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Didn't realize PRL discontinued their kit. That's a bummer.

Bhartz412

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX
Country flag

Following, fellow Florida CVT owner (St. augustine) and with my Ktuner I definitely want to keep everything as cool as possible

fkseven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7
Country flag
@PRL Motorsports can you guys bring back the adaptor plate for the cvt and sell it solely. I definitely would need this piece to make a cooler kit diy.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
If you make your CVT cooler from scratch, just add a thermostat to it. There are thermostat kits for transmission fluid that work great and it will not open until your trans fluid is at a certain temp, which removes the need to warm up for longer.

either https://derale.com/product-footer/fluid-coolers/thermostats-1/fluid-control-thermostats

or this https://www.improvedracing.com/high-flow-inline-oil-cooler-thermostat-145f.html

as an example. Derale's thermostat opens at 180F while improved racing's opend at 145F.

There are more choices I'm sure AND, these also work for manual trans too and diffs/t-cases.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
If you’re hardly pushing the car then you wouldn’t really need a CVT cooler, even if you do like the occasional fun driving. Now if you’re tracking the car, doing aggressive driving often (like if you’re being chased by the police every chance you have), or pushing high hp and tq numbers then I would see a CVT cooler being absolutely needed. I’m not saying a CVT is pointless and wouldn’t help, but by the sounds of your usage I would say it isn’t a necessity as opposed to a IC. An IC really is needed on this car, the stock one is quick to get heat soaked.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

If you don't have an aftermarket tune, don't bother with an intercooler. You are not pushing your stock turbo to the max.

Based on what you said above (I put it in BOLD), a CVT cooler is not needed. Just change your CVT fluid when it is necessary or sooner. You should be fine.

I still have my CVT cooler in my garage. I purchased it back when PRL first started selling it but never had it installed. I had no idea they discontinued it.

slcvt

First Name
samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 1.5T CVT
Country flag
If you don't have an aftermarket tune, don't bother with an intercooler. You are not pushing your stock turbo to the max.

Based on what you said above (I put it in BOLD), a CVT cooler is not needed. Just change your CVT fluid when it is necessary or sooner. You should be fine.

I still have my CVT cooler in my garage. I purchased it back when PRL first started selling it but never had it installed. I had no idea they discontinued it.
Hi Myx,
Would you like to sell your PRL CVT cooler as you are not using it? Thank you and looking forward to your reply.

Samuel
Sponsored