Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
Just curious since you were posting about brake boosting on a CVT a few days ago, at any point were you trying that? Yes, the CVT is not able to hold high amounts of torque but there are plenty of tuned CVT's out there that are operating just fine.

I hope you are claiming some level of responsibility since you were operating the car at a higher stressed level. My statement isn't attacking you but it's for those reading who are worried that tunes = blown CVT

Humza
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

FK7 Civic Pilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
It’s not just German cars with lackluster reliability. Pretty much every European car turns into a maintenace money pit. My sister is a sucker for European cars, she’s had Volkswagens, Audis, Jaguar, Fiats, BMWs. While they were pretty fun to drive, they all needed regular trips to a mechanic to keep on the road, doubt she went more than 6 month without something going wrong with them after they got 80,000-100,00 miles on them. A Land Rover Discovery and a BMW X5 were the worst when it came to expensive repairs on a frequent basis. She finally got smart and just leases them now.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
People really don't appreciate how fast transmissions are destroyed by high temperature. And how quickly the temperature can rise from churning the torque converter and working hard the transmission itself time after time. The same trick that you could repeat forever if you let it cool down, may kill your transmission quickly if you do it too many times in a row.

If I was doing "roll racing" or any kind of racing with a CVT, the first mod I would do would be to display my true CVT fluid temperature (as a priority even before engine oil temperature). The CVT has a fluid temperature sensor. Btw. this sensor is one of the many inputs to the TCM which controls how the transmission shifts.

Anyone monitoring their CVT fluid T ?

Badigadi

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
People really don't appreciate how fast transmissions are destroyed by high temperature. And how quickly the temperature can rise from churning the torque converter and working hard the transmission itself time after time. The same trick that you could repeat forever if you let it cool down, may kill your transmission quickly if you do it too many times in a row.

If I was doing "roll racing" or any kind of racing with a CVT, the first mod I would do would be to display my true CVT fluid temperature (as a priority even before engine oil temperature). The CVT has a fluid temperature sensor. Btw. this sensor is one of the many inputs to the TCM which controls how the transmission shifts.

Anyone monitoring their CVT fluid T ?
Is that even possible without a Ktuner unit? I would love to hit the track and put some lap times even stock on my local track but I refuse to even try without knowing how hot my transmission runs normally as a reference point. As far as I know my OBD2 adapter is not reporting that sensor or its buried behind a lot of advanced PIDs torque pro doesn't get.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Is that even possible without a Ktuner unit? I would love to hit the track and put some lap times even stock on my local track but I refuse to even try without knowing how hot my transmission runs normally as a reference point. As far as I know my OBD2 adapter is not reporting that sensor or its buried behind a lot of advanced PIDs torque pro doesn't get.
CVT cooler might be a good idea, especially in hot climates. Would be easy to tap in a temp gauge at that point too.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Yeah, that's what I would like to know: is it easy to find this in a OBDII scanner. If not, it may be possible to read the sensor independently. Or find a spot to install a calibrated T probe and thread the wires to the dashboard. Maybe the easiest way would be to put a sensor through the fill plug - if this was verified to give a true temperature.

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Yeah, that's what I would like to know: is it easy to find this in a OBDII scanner. If not, it may be possible to read the sensor independently. Or find a spot to install a calibrated T probe and thread the wires to the dashboard. Maybe the easiest way would be to put a sensor through the fill plug - if this was verified to give a true temperature.
i'll try to remember to check this weekend when I have time, I have a Bluetooth OBDII dongle and the Torque app. I would think I should be able to see it.

Fit2Hatch

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
People should stop and think-especially from those ranting first performance mod and the best bang for the buck should be a tune. Along with tales of how they beat unsuspecting driver on the road with their sleeper Civic, and will feverishly defend their philosophy.

Most and especially the inexperience new comer, lacking patience and often overlook overall safety, performance and longevity, and thinking they are the exception to the rule.

Particular attention should first address proper braking, handling and cooling. These are rather expensive if done and choose correctly, so are often compromised or ignore that high performance certainly comes with a price.

Power adding should be the last item for a complete package in order for a long, enjoyable motorsport experience.

So...how much money do you have....any car can make to go fast....how long will it last?

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
Type R will keep its value WAY better than any BMW.
You are correct. there are more BMWs (All models ) than A civic Type R which in return will keep a higher value. funny the area I live I see more BMWs ( mostly SUVs shopping carts which I like to call them)
than a civic LX or which is rarer a 10 th gen civic coupe

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Just connected my OBD II Bluetooth adapter and fired up the torque app and I did indeed find a Transmission Temperature Sensor as an available input for the Civic 1.5t with CVT. It was at 60.4* F (since the car wasn't running).
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.