CVT blew out. (Edit: Turbo damage)

Qchon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7 Sport Touring Polished Metallic
Country flag
I drive this thing hard,been up to top speed, I've done about 2 brake launches in sport mode, 1 was against a SI with downpipe &front pipe/ CAI and tune, i barely lost.
Besides that I very often put it in sport manual and hit the twisties, its a fun lil car?. Today when pulling out of my sloped driveway I hear a very AWFUL grinding/clunking sound. I get to driving on the freeway, and my CVT starts shuddering like crazy. I get off at the next exit, take a right and hear it do it again

I try a WOT pull, i have poor accel, my CVT sounds like something metal is grinding inside/broke inside it.

I drive home, here i am waiting on the tow truck. I've got a 100k mile warranty + Extended CPO warranty. Should honda Cover me for This? As I said im completely stock, except res delete. At my 30k mile service Scott Robinson Honda over torqued my air lid box, and they refused to replace my CVT fluid because I bought it 6k miles before and they did all fluids. (BTW don't go there they are awful, also 10k Type r Markeup.) Could/should I use this against honda to help my case? I have videos of a Bolt sitting on my cvt trans, and my trans cap spinning like its loose.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I think you did two brake launches too many.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Qchon

Qchon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This shit is blown? dont do this fellow cvt owners. 2 brake launches + usual spirited driving will score them even stock. Im sure only a few are dumb enough like me to brake launch a cvt. Learn from my mistake?

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
This shit is blown? dont do this fellow cvt owners. 2 brake launches + usual spirited driving will score them even stock. Im sure only a few are dumb enough like me to brake launch a cvt. Learn from my mistake?
I'd probably chalk it up entirely to the brake launching tbh. Driving it hard with good maintenance probably wouldn't have even caused that so quickly.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm CVT/turbo tuned and drive my car very hard at speed from time to time (like on the highway today). I got tangled up with a Nissan 370Z. I think he let me win. lol

Like Doug said in the link, the CVT can actually handle OTS and base tune power very well. I mean they did six hours on the track with no issues. Brake launching is the death knell to these transmissions though.

OP, since you're stock and under warranty, you may luck out at the dealer. Tough way to learn a lesson but at least it sounds like you won't be brake launching again. ;)

OP
OP
Qchon

Qchon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm CVT/turbo tuned and drive my car very hard at speed from time to time (like on the highway today). I got tangled up with a Nissan 370Z. I think he let me win. lol

Like Doug said in the link, the CVT can actually handle OTS and base tune power very well. I mean they did six hours on the track with no issues. Brake launching is the death knell to these transmissions though.

OP, since you're stock and under warranty, you may luck out at the dealer. Tough way to learn a lesson but at least it sounds like you won't be brake launching again. ;)
Its not worth launching this thing imo. agreed, I also thinks its solely from brake launching. I do oil change every 3-5k and always let it warm up/cool down. Doubt my usual carving would ruin this thing. Plus I've seen the thread about Tuned reliability, they seem pretty ok on a tune. I guess this further reinforces the statement from Hondata. Dealer i took it to has a '18 si coupe, white for 19k with 26k miles tho...?

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
Loose Cap

Bolt

Driving
That is not a loose fill plug (“cap” as you call it) - that is a piece of paper that sits on top of the plug.

That little air box bolt will do absolutely no harm to anything, and has nothing to do with you beating your car and destroying your cvt.

Your warranty should cover your failure since you’re unmodified.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So what has honda said

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
Its not worth launching this thing imo. agreed, I also thinks its solely from brake launching. I do oil change every 3-5k and always let it warm up/cool down. Doubt my usual carving would ruin this thing. Plus I've seen the thread about Tuned reliability, they seem pretty ok on a tune. I guess this further reinforces the statement from Hondata. Dealer i took it to has a '18 si coupe, white for 19k with 26k miles tho...?
It’s definitely not worth it. I tried it once just lightly getting up to about 2k RPM and my 0-60 time was at best maaaaaaaybe .25 seconds faster. Not worth blowing up your transmission for that.

EP3R-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MR/MGM CB500F, 2018 WOP Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm here trying to figure out how a "non tuned" sport cvt barely lost to a bolt on tuned Si. Thats like a 60ish hp difference.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm here trying to figure out how a "non tuned" sport cvt barely lost to a bolt on tuned Si. Thats like a 60ish hp difference.
Yeah. Stock to stock though (unless the Si driver has perfect shifts), it would be very close. For as much hate as people give the CVT, it does pretty well in putting down the power.

But, a tuned Si with bolt ons would easily crush a bone stock turbo CVT.
Sponsored