CVT 200,000+ miles

CRcivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
Hey everyone,

So Honda CVTs have been around for years. There should be quite a few with high mileage now.

So does anyone have a Honda CVT or any CVT that has made it to 200,000+ miles on the original CVT transmission?

How often does everyone chance their CVT transmission fluid? 30,000?
Sponsored

kyle_agronick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sensing
Country flag
Yeah, and time driven. Airplanes go by hours running. My car has 125,000 but a car with 40,000 that drove in New York City traffic would have way more wear on it. The break pads that came with the car lasted me to about 110,000 miles and still had meat on them. I do a lot of highway driving at low RPM. I really haven't had anything brake except a bearing that was replaced under warranty at like 20k miles and the air conditioning condensor which they did for free a month ago since it was defective. The car has a lot of miles on it but none of the issues you would expect a car with that many miles to have.

Last edited:

No_One

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX
Country flag
My 2006 Civic Hybrid CVT had > 225K when I let it go.
Hybrid battery went out and was $3,300 to replace. It would not pass CA smog with a low battery, so away it went.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
Yes. 2013+ 4 cyl Accord has CVT and i seen those making over 200k+ miles. I change my fluid every 30K miles.

OP
OP

CRcivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
Yeah the dealership was sayimg that 30,000 miles was the time to change the CVT fluid, so I'm definetly sticking with that.

Great to hear there are CVTs lasting a long time!

Happy driving all!!

kyle_agronick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sensing
Country flag
Yeah the dealership was sayimg that 30,000 miles was the time to change the CVT fluid, so I'm definetly sticking with that.

Great to hear there are CVTs lasting a long time!

Happy driving all!!
The 30,000 miles change the CVT flud is a scam and will throw all your future maintenance out of sync. Go by what the maintenance minder says exactly. There are no milage schedules for this car. If you do some maintenance early clear the code for just that number so it stays in sync.

Since the code might not have been cleared you are probably out of sync. You might see a maintenance minder with the number 3 in it fairly soon. 3 means transmission flush. You have three options now. You can do another premature tranny flush to get your car in sync. You can disregard any code with the number 3 and go by a milage based schedule for the rest of the life of the car. Or you can clear the code without doing the flush since you just did it and the car will go without a flush 10 or 20k more miles than it should.

I got my early tranny flush and I was at the dealer Googling what the car really needs. Thats when I read on a reputable Honda dealer's website that the maintenance minder is the maintenance schedule. I was pissed. The dealer knew they were caught and they acted extremely unprofessionally telling me things like the "car would explode". And the maintenance minder says crazy things like to go 10k miles between doing an oil change (because its actually monitoring the oil) and it should not be trusted. The dealers know they are going against what Honda recommends. If any dealer is pushing 30,000 mile tranny flushes I think its a big red flag not to trust them.

Heres a site with all the codes and what they mean: https://www.valleyhonda.com/honda-service-codes/

Last edited:

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The 30,000 miles change the CVT flud is a scam and will throw all your future maintenance out of sync. Go by what the maintenance minder says exactly. There are no milage schedules for this car.
There are mileage schedules for european Civics.
The owners manual says you should change the CVT fluid every two years or every 40,000 kilometers (25,000 miles), whatever comes first.
But the bordcomputer reminds you anyway after two years or 25,000 miles.

Honda 4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic lx
Country flag
Sorry my english are bad. Anyway I got my civic LX NA2.0 LX on november 2017 brandnew(7miles)and now it has 25k miles and i never change my cvt fluid yet. Do i need to change my cvt fluid now or wait till 30k. Everytime i change my engine oil my dealer never mention about cvt fluid.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@Honda 4life
I let the CVT fluid change when the Maintenance Minder is telling me.

You can check it in the menu of your head unit like shown in the video. And the car will automatically remind you when to change your fluids and filters. Honda recommends to change every two years or 25,000 miles, whatever comes first (at least for european models).