Cutting / opening up existing fake vents on front bumper?

rflkptr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 FK7 Sonic Grey, '15 Outback Limited
Country flag
Finished the rears a few days back. Happy, but I may paint the inside area black.

Honda Civic 10th gen Cutting / opening up existing fake vents on front bumper? 20200502_122821
Sponsored

MrRicer

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback LX
Country flag
Open OEM low front shot

9819ADA6-44F9-4834-B27F-D10E85D9FEC4.jpeg

We are currently able to do away with front plates so I ordered this in case the legislation fights and wins front plates to come back.

If not I may remove the front plate completely once it’s not up in the air any longer.
Where exactly did you purchase those red Mugen covers? Must be my lack of internet knowledge. But i cant seem to find them anywhere online

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan 1.5T, 2009 Accord Sedan 2.4 LX-P, 2000 Civic Sedan EK4
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

shibles

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm sorry, $320 for two pieces of plastic? Am I reading that right? It's almost cheaper to buy an entire new front Type R bumper. It is cheaper if you go for any color besides white.

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm sorry, $320 for two pieces of plastic? Am I reading that right? It's almost cheaper to buy an entire new front Type R bumper. It is cheaper if you go for any color besides white.
It's notoriously known as Mugen Taxes, you pay to play. It's not for you if you refuse that.

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
thanks, might get this later down the road. It is pretty pricey, but im definitely going to save this cuz I think it's worth the cost
Good call, and I think gloss black or body color suits it better IMO.

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
I think I remember hearing about it from a HondaProJason video, but has anyone tried sanding/grinding out the vents from the back side? Seems like it would take a lot less time than going at it with a craft knife/soldering iron.

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
This is what I did, I just cut it the OEM and bought aluminum mesh , then I molded and glued to the OEM ''grille frame''

Honda Civic 10th gen Cutting / opening up existing fake vents on front bumper? IMG_1127.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Cutting / opening up existing fake vents on front bumper? IMG_1128.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Cutting / opening up existing fake vents on front bumper? IMG_1163.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Cutting / opening up existing fake vents on front bumper? IMG_1164.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Cutting / opening up existing fake vents on front bumper? IMG_1165.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Cutting / opening up existing fake vents on front bumper? IMG_1166.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Cutting / opening up existing fake vents on front bumper? IMG_1167.JPG

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
This is what I did, I just cut it the OEM and bought aluminum mesh , then I molded and glued to the OEM ''grille frame''

IMG_1127.JPG

IMG_1128.JPG

IMG_1163.JPG

IMG_1164.JPG

IMG_1165.JPG

IMG_1166.JPG

IMG_1167.JPG
Looks great.
I think the size of the mesh is actually an improvement on the OEM stuff.

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Or PM siwelnosaj if you want to pay him for amazingly professional results. Worth every cent, cost was more than buying the 2020 fake vent set to swap at the dealer, but looks so much better than the 2020's or any other options you could consider other than doing it yourself to perfection. My hugest complaint about all the Civic line is gone----- Fake Bumper vents. Just one annoying thing Honda does to keep costs down. They could incorporate a real vent themselves but would cost more to get the look I've wanted since the 1st time I laid eyes on the car.

0E061BAE-CB17-4133-A07F-60D796EC63C6.jpeg
In all honesty as a mfg engineer this is a molded part and I don't think it would be much cost difference... and if you ask me it would be a cost savings to do what you've had done here from the getgo. The design stays the same with the diamonds there is just no solid surface behind. Less machining for the mold and less material for the part. Winner winner chicken dinner.

That being said, I would like to hypothesize that it was more of a structural engineering decision... as in I would like to see how these vents hold up for daily drivers especially in industrial areas where there can be fairly large chunks of road debris that could be kicked up. I would imagine these are much more prone to breaking or cracking. For example....

Let's say a 1" diameter rock hits that front vent at 50mph. I would bet money the stock vents will take that hit with little to no issue, maybe a little chunk taken out. Try that with these vents... I think we all know what would happen. Maybe not the first time, but after a few impacts that will be extremely weak. Sure, it's going to be a few and far between thing, but I would imagine this is where the decision was made. There's just no other reason that makes sense to have fake vents...

siwelnosaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag
In all honesty as a mfg engineer this is a molded part and I don't think it would be much cost difference... and if you ask me it would be a cost savings to do what you've had done here from the getgo. The design stays the same with the diamonds there is just no solid surface behind. Less machining for the mold and less material for the part. Winner winner chicken dinner.

That being said, I would like to hypothesize that it was more of a structural engineering decision... as in I would like to see how these vents hold up for daily drivers especially in industrial areas where there can be fairly large chunks of road debris that could be kicked up. I would imagine these are much more prone to breaking or cracking. For example....

Let's say a 1" diameter rock hits that front vent at 50mph. I would bet money the stock vents will take that hit with little to no issue, maybe a little chunk taken out. Try that with these vents... I think we all know what would happen. Maybe not the first time, but after a few impacts that will be extremely weak. Sure, it's going to be a few and far between thing, but I would imagine this is where the decision was made. There's just no other reason that makes sense to have fake vents...
My thought is that they likely did it do get ever so slightly more mpg, and or they never felt like they needed the vents to begin with and they put them there simply as an aggressive asthetic piece

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My thought is that they likely did it do get ever so slightly more mpg, and or they never felt like they needed the vents to begin with and they put them there simply as an aggressive asthetic piece
I definitely second the "aggressive" piece of that. They've been out so long and I've looked at mine for 3 years straight so I totally forgot how aggressive the design was when it came out. It's actually the reason I got the car... Looks amazing with the practicality to fit most anything you want.

Honda is huge on MPG ratings so I'd have to agree there as well, they're not really after cooling benefits from the factory. Makes sense for the base models but most people buy an R to at least have SOME fun with it.... so you would think they would have maybe modified the design to be more functional.

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
Looks great.
I think the size of the mesh is actually an improvement on the OEM stuff.
I did it just for look, I didn't know how's going to came out, I gave it a shot.
Sponsored