Cutting / opening up existing fake vents on front bumper?

5th 3l3ment

First Name
5Th 3l3ment
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Si
Country flag
I went to a local metal supply store. The one here in san diego is called Industrial Metal Supply Co. This one is about .063 or 2/16 of an inch thick so it doesnt bend easy if it hits rock. Think its $15.00 for a 2'x4' sheet but not sure.
Damn im on the east coast thank you for the info gonna look into just using my Dremel tool
Sponsored

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
FYI for everyone with a type R they are almost always available for the front. I have yet to see a reproduction set for the open rears tho.

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan 1.5T, 2009 Accord Sedan 2.4 LX-P, 2000 Civic Sedan EK4
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I j

After seeing this, I started to do this and ended up cutting myself on the fourth try lol Shame on me haha

image.jpg
That's what I was afraid of and try to prevent it by drilling many holes along the edges before trimming the unwanted panel off with a dremel.

The amount of holes made looks a lot, but actually it's quite fast.

If you still insist on using an utility knife, make sure it's new and sharp and have a small wood rail in the area to guide your knife

Honda Civic 10th gen Cutting / opening up existing fake vents on front bumper? 1613524491826

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
1613524491826.png

Wish it was that easy on the Type R but you have to drop the bumper to remove the inserts on the Type R. It may only take a few minutes to drop it but it’s not as easy as the above unfortunately.

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan 1.5T, 2009 Accord Sedan 2.4 LX-P, 2000 Civic Sedan EK4
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
1613524491826.png

Wish it was that easy on the Type R but you have to drop the bumper to remove the inserts on the Type R. It may only take a few minutes to drop it but it’s not as easy as the above unfortunately.
Yeah, all the hatchback have a bolt on each side that secures the horizontal black trim that you need to remove before removing the garnish that are layered underneath.

JuiceStainD

First Name
Juice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 LX Sedan
Country flag
Before finding this topic on CivicX, I thought it would be easy just by putting in multiple holes and then just punching it out. But it appears that the fake vents are more thinner on the type r than LX/EX

Honda Civic 10th gen Cutting / opening up existing fake vents on front bumper? image

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I did one hole as a test, decided it wasn't worth my time. Used the largest drilbit I had to put a couple holes in it and then dremeled out the rest

cvmomo1CTR

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR , 2018 Civic Sport , 06' E46 325ci , 12’ Ducati 848EVO
Country flag
1613524491826.png

you can get away by not removing the FK8 rear bumper remove and just slightly pull back enough to where it is clear from that section you need to cut. Use maybe some tape or something of height area to keep it from dragging down and potentially break vent. A sharp cutter blade and have at it... Not ideal and risky but saves a little time on having to remove bumper for that one screwon rear side of bumper.

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Before finding this topic on CivicX, I thought it would be easy just by putting in multiple holes and then just punching it out. But it appears that the fake vents are more thinner on the type r than LX/EX

image.jpg
you can get away by not removing the FK8 rear bumper remove and just slightly pull back enough to where it is clear from that section you need to cut. Use maybe some tape or something of height area to keep it from dragging down and potentially break vent. A sharp cutter blade and have at it... Not ideal and risky but saves a little time on having to remove bumper for that one screwon rear side of bumper.
They are all the same thiskness I think the R vents are easier to cut because they are diamond vs the honey comb shape.

It’s easier to just remove the bumper than pulling back to properly do the job you need the access to trim out the bumper and handle the vents properly.

When mine where cut out and off I used flat black pliatidip to blacken the area behind the vents.

Honda Civic 10th gen Cutting / opening up existing fake vents on front bumper? 18933DD1-1309-4D57-BEDD-45EFE8E58312

Honda Civic 10th gen Cutting / opening up existing fake vents on front bumper? B98549F6-F671-4520-B8D0-A67FAF5961D7

Last edited:

cvmomo1CTR

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR , 2018 Civic Sport , 06' E46 325ci , 12’ Ducati 848EVO
Country flag
They are all the same thiskness I think the R vents are easier to cut because they are diamond vs the honey comb shape.

It’s easier to just remove the bumper than pulling back to properly do the job you need the access to trim out the bumper and handle the vents properly.
Agreed, just know it is possible, but agreed removing rear bumper does make life a lot easier. But in the case you do something similar to the way I went, and not cutting all slots but a few , then not removing bumper is an easy alternative option.

Removal of bumper is the recommended method for sure. Don’t disagree there.

Snmtazz70

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
500HP 2019 Honda Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Just got to match the rest!
Sponsored