Honda Civic 10th gen Custom tuned and hitting limp mode upload_2020-3-2_23-8-47
Sponsored

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Well after contacting ericks racing they wanna charge me more money to figure out why its hitting limp mode.
Yet I'm pretty certain it had to do with the air charge after adjusting mine I've gotten it to stop hitting maxing out the pump in 4th gear. Just gotta get 3rd to stop having an a slight stutter and I should be good.
wth that's a load of crap. Sorry to hear.

i had drob etune my car back in august or september and if i see some knock that i don't like, i send him my log and he will do minor adjustments and that was months after we initially finished our tune.
Is this iat2 temperature correct? wow too high
welcome to california lol.

OP
OP
Kingamer

Kingamer

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ctr championship white, Aegean blue 18 civic ex sedan
Country flag
Yeah and my iat2 if driven hard during high outside temps which some of those readings are from high 80*deg F outside temps in socal and it was also after a long drive so the temp didnt drop fully but I had an open road to do a quick log.

My normal iat2 sits around 95F and iat1 sits about 100-105F

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yet, you list one of my locked files on your car. :p
Yeah, because a company contracted you to do the tune. I didn't pay you directly to tune my car. I got it at a fraction of the cost of having you do a tune specific to my own vehicle. So it's understandable that it's locked. But if I'm paying $500+ for a custom tune, I want the unlocked file.

OP
OP
Kingamer

Kingamer

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well I decided not to go back I've tweaked the tune to finally get it a smoother acceleration. which they informed me was the tune they had modified was left on my flashpro so at least it was left unlocked

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
your fuel pump definitely looks more happier but i'm pretty disappointed in that custom tune you got.

it's a lot of money for basically a slight afr adjustment from the base map ... you'd think there would be more changes :(
either way, time to enjoy the car!

OP
OP
Kingamer

Kingamer

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have a tune I got from someone who worked for greddy that was tuned for 91 when I got it done and on that tune I did 344hp and 367tq so I tweaked it similarly as the other tune to see how it works with flex fuel so I basically just copied my adjustments over and I'm gonna datalog soon will post results after

D-RobIMW

www.imwtuned.com
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2001 Integra Type R, 2019 RDX A-Spec
Country flag
Yeah, because a company contracted you to do the tune. I didn't pay you directly to tune my car. I got it at a fraction of the cost of having you do a tune specific to my own vehicle. So it's understandable that it's locked. But if I'm paying $500+ for a custom tune, I want the unlocked file.
TSP didn't contract me for anything; I lock everything on my own, off-the-shelf or custom, as most tuners that aren't fly-by-night operations do.

Every single car I tune has a locked calibration (well, at least all the platforms I can apply a lock to), for a few reasons:

1) To protect me
2) To protect the client (sometimes from themselves)
3) To prevent sharing of the file
4) To prevent teaching someone how to tune

I hope this sheds some light on the reasoning.

OP
OP
Kingamer

Kingamer

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I believe anyone who has a mechanical background that knows how to read datalogs should at least take the time to learn to tune their own car as I've been forced to do which has been a blessing in disguise.

That being said when I had my si the tsp stage 1 tune was fine and needed no tweaking. But the fact it is locked is more to protect the tuner from customers saying their tune damaged the engine because they tweaked things they don't understand.

But me being a master tech I am cautious with how I change things so I'd much rather have an unlocked tune even if I sign a form stating the tuner is not liable for any changes made by anyone but the tuner themself

It should be an option to acquire the tune unlocked if the customer is willing to sign a liability waiver that way they are not contractually obligated.
But they also should sign a legal document that disseminating the product is theft and punishable by copyright laws

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I believe anyone who has a mechanical background that knows how to read datalogs should at least take the time to learn to tune their own car as I've been forced to do which has been a blessing in disguise.

That being said when I had my si the tsp stage 1 tune was fine and needed no tweaking. But the fact it is locked is more to protect the tuner from customers saying their tune damaged the engine because they tweaked things they don't understand.

But me being a master tech I am cautious with how I change things so I'd much rather have an unlocked tune even if I sign a form stating the tuner is not liable for any changes made by anyone but the tuner themself

It should be an option to acquire the tune unlocked if the customer is willing to sign a liability waiver that way they are not contractually obligated.
But they also should sign a legal document that disseminating the product is theft and punishable by copyright laws
Unlocked tunes would allow people to go around selling their tunes or copying it over to "tune" other peoples cars for money. There wouldn't be any way for the tuner to know his tune is being shared or copied over to someone else. Anyone who thinks their tune should be unlocked knowing this is ignorant.

OP
OP
Kingamer

Kingamer

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If I pay for services I damn well better be able to use it as I please so unless its proprietary knowledge which tuning a car technically isnt its just a skill acquired which anyone could learn given enough time. Now if you developed a program that is copyrighted with your own proprietary coding.
I can understand the need to lock it to prevent copyright infringement but since you're just modifying parameters and did not create it then locking it without giving the purchaser an option to opt out is unfair to the consumer who by all rights should own the finished product that is custom tailored to their own car.

But either way this a no win argument since you have a self interest in this because you make a living off this. Eventually people will stop buying things that lock them out if they are into modding their own cars will breed a new age of tuners who dont think like you.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Eventually people will stop buying things that lock them out if they are into modding their own cars will breed a new age of tuners who dont think like you.
Doubt it. EFI tuning and tuners have been around for as long as EFI has. If there's a way to block it, any tuner will do so, especially if it's a car they work on often. That isn't going to change and 99% of people who get tuned don't understand any of it anyways and don't care.

It sucks for people like you and me who love knowing everything, but you have to understand that what Derek and every other tuner is doing is very much their intellectual property they deserve to keep secret. Is photoshop obliged to give you their source because they run it on your computer? Is mcdonalds obliged to give you their secret sauce recipe just cause its based on mayo and mustard which you already had but they mixed it just right? No. And at what point do you draw the line, then? Once he's replaced every single value?

Just because they took an existing set of parameters and modified it doesn't make their modifications any less of their trade secret. If Derek didn't lock his files, someone like me would've already compared the maps and taught everyone his secrets and he would lose a lot of business. Or worse, some bootleg version of 'his tune' wreaks havoc and ruins his rep. Among countless other problems.

And sure, you could sign NDAs, but there's really no way for him to legally pursue it nor would most of us have the money to sue for him to make back how much he would lose. There's no way to really prove who did it either. And for what gain on his end?

On top of all this, the man made the fuckin KTuner basemaps and didn't lock those. I'm sure he gets a check or something from James, but he isn't the nefarious tuner you seem to think he is.

Last edited:

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
If I pay for services I damn well better be able to use it as I please so unless its proprietary knowledge which tuning a car technically isnt its just a skill acquired which anyone could learn given enough time. Now if you developed a program that is copyrighted with your own proprietary coding.
I can understand the need to lock it to prevent copyright infringement but since you're just modifying parameters and did not create it then locking it without giving the purchaser an option to opt out is unfair to the consumer who by all rights should own the finished product that is custom tailored to their own car.

But either way this a no win argument since you have a self interest in this because you make a living off this. Eventually people will stop buying things that lock them out if they are into modding their own cars will breed a new age of tuners who dont think like you.
You'd be in the minority of people that rationalize it this way. Most people I've noticed understand logically why tunes are locked. I remember when they weren't locked back when I had KPro on my RSX, people would share their tunes for money. If tunes were open and people were sharing them around less people would actually pay for tunes, before you know it the few tuners left would have to start charging big prices to keep their doors open. You don't go to a restaurant that makes a specialty dish and feel entitled to the recipe because you paid for the dish to be prepared for you one time do you?

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Not sure what people aren't understanding. you are paying for the tuners expertise to TUNE the car. you are not paying for the FILE that the tuner used.
if you are smart enough to read datalogs and analyze, you can see what your tuner has adjusted anyways. (especially on this bosch ecu)

Put yourself in the tuners shoe and ask yourself if you would want to send someone an open cal. I sure wouldn't. I wouldn't want my name to be defamed because of a possible shared tune.

if that file left on the flashpro was really the custom tune file that they provided to you, i would've been pretty upset. I guess you just take it as a lesson learned and motivated to learn and adjust yourself but damn ...

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
if that file left on the flashpro was really the custom tune file that they provided to you, i would've been pretty upset. I guess you just take it as a lesson learned and motivated to learn and adjust yourself but damn ...
I'm still really curious why his datalog said it's from an asian S2000 and actually had A/F correction data points that weren't just the other A/F values.. we don't even have AF correction in our logs.

The point about paying for a file vs skill is a good one. Most platforms don't have a nice fancy UI where you can just upload files and swap them around as you want. Hell, many of them you can't do on your own at all. The tuner has to upload the binary to the ECU himself with specialized hardware. That's how it was in the very earliest days of the R too.

If we weren't able to tune at home with convenient files that get emailed to you, would you be asking for an exact list of table modifications?
Sponsored

Last edited: