Jeffers

First Name
Jeffers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
Finding a switch to fit the blank switch plates could be a challenge. Are you going to use OEM?
OEM switches are momentary on, not toggle, so you'd need some kind of electronic latching to keep what ever it is you want to stay on after you let go of the button.

OP
OP
KOIVUN1

KOIVUN1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si CBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Finding a switch to fit the blank switch plates could be a challenge. Are you going to use OEM?
OEM switches are momentary on, not toggle, so you'd need some kind of electronic latching to keep what ever it is you want to stay on after you let go of the button.
deleted

Last edited:

BoostinIX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI Sedan
Country flag
What you're controlling would generally determine if a relay is needed. Relays (and someone correct me if I'm off) prevent you from putting all the juice through that switch.

What're you switching?

OP
OP
KOIVUN1

KOIVUN1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si CBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What you're controlling would generally determine if a relay is needed. Relays (and someone correct me if I'm off) prevent you from putting all the juice through that switch.

What're you switching?
deleted

Last edited:

BoostinIX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI Sedan
Country flag
Not quite sure yet tbh. I don't know if I should intercept the signal from the brake pedal switch and basically use the switch/relay to enable/disable the signal from the brake pedal to reach the ecu to turn on/off the brake lights.

Your only mention of what this is for, is "This is definitely not for a brake kill switch just for anyone wondering because those are illegal and I do not want to make one for myself. "

and then above....

So either you dont know what you want the switch to do; or you do and are just beating about the bush....

Why would one want to disable the brake lights... >_>

Honda Civic 10th gen Custom switch in place of blank plates 1601483563613

OP
OP
KOIVUN1

KOIVUN1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si CBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Your only mention of what this is for, is "This is definitely not for a brake kill switch just for anyone wondering because those are illegal and I do not want to make one for myself. "

and then above....

So either you dont know what you want the switch to do; or you do and are just beating about the bush....

Why would one want to disable the brake lights... >_>

1601483563613.png
deleted

Last edited:

BoostinIX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI Sedan
Country flag
dunno man not tryna get in any trouble so i suppose for purely hypothetical and entertainment purposes my uh friend wants to install a brake kill switch because he knows that the tail lights are bright af when braking at night which would be a time that he would be more likely to be speeding and since he got a ticket this summer he can't get another one, so basically he would want to be able to disable the brake lights if he sees an op so he can slam the brakes and not have the op see. get the drift?
They see the headlights dipping, and its still reeeeeeeeeally obvious....or you know... don't drive like that, especially when you can't afford another. Generally if you can see the cop- the cops already had a chance to speed/laser you. Not to mention the undercover 4 cars behind you is going to notice all of it. Or.... just drive responsibly.

Is it doable? Probably. Is it smart? Noooope.

OP
OP
KOIVUN1

KOIVUN1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si CBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They see the headlights dipping, and its still reeeeeeeeeally obvious....or you know... don't drive like that, especially when you can't afford another. Generally if you can see the cop- the cops already had a chance to speed/laser you. Not to mention the undercover 4 cars behind you is going to notice all of it. Or.... just drive responsibly.

Is it doable? Probably. Is it smart? Noooope.
deleted

Last edited:

Derek.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport HB 6MT, 1996 Accord EX 4dr 5MT
Country flag
dunno man not tryna get in any trouble so i suppose for purely hypothetical and entertainment purposes my uh friend wants to install a brake kill switch because he knows that the tail lights are bright af when braking at night which would be a time that he would be more likely to be speeding and since he got a ticket this summer he can't get another one, so basically he would want to be able to disable the brake lights if he sees an op so he can slam the brakes and not have the op see. get the drift?
This doesn't sound like a good idea at all. The police would have likely nailed you with the radar before you slam the brakes. If they see the dramatic decrease in speed and zero indication from the tail lights, they may investigate. If they discover that your tail lights are on a toggle, the speeding ticket is going to be the least of your concerns.

BoostinIX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI Sedan
Country flag
I'm sure someone will eventually reply, but I'm not up for helping with that. It's reckless and dumb. The guy that didn't know you were slamming on your brakes as he changes lanes behind you won't appreciate it either.

Basic switch wiring is everywhere on google. Not really the place to help do blatantly illegal/dangerous stuff.

OP
OP
KOIVUN1

KOIVUN1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si CBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm sure someone will eventually reply, but I'm not up for helping with that. It's reckless and dumb. The guy that didn't know you were slamming on your brakes as he changes lanes behind you won't appreciate it either.

Basic switch wiring is everywhere on google. Not really the place to help do blatantly illegal/dangerous stuff.
alternatively though would a switch for the DRLs be possible? i've seen a thing you can drop in to a fuse slot to add a switch to the fuse. i go on cruises with buddies pretty often, and they complain when i'm at the rear of the pack because the drls are apparently blinding. i enjoy staying back and challenging myself to catch up in the twisties, but with them always complaining i end up at the front a lot. never understood why honda makes the drls always on except when headlights are on, seems like you'd want the drls on along with the headlights but whatever.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KOIVUN1

KOIVUN1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si CBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
guess i'll wise up and drop the brake switch idea

alternatively though would a switch for the DRLs be possible? i've seen a thing you can drop in to a fuse slot to add a switch to the fuse. i go on cruises with buddies pretty often, and they complain when i'm at the rear of the pack because the drls are apparently blinding. i enjoy staying back and challenging myself to catch up in the twisties, but with them always complaining i end up at the front a lot. never understood why honda makes the drls always on except when headlights are on, seems like you'd want the drls on along with the headlights but whatever.
I also have a klaxon horn that i'm tempted to install, how would i wire that up so when i press the horn it sounds the klaxon as well?

Ocelot

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EX-T sedan, '12 LX sedan
Country flag
Theres a harness (non-oem) that you can use to extend the DRL fuse out of the fuse panel, you can put this in series with a switch and turn your DRL's on/off that way
Sponsored