Custom Gauges Through Infotainment Console

Boosted1one

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crystal Black FI FC1 Si âś“
which brand did you went with ? We talking about Bluetooth adapter? or wi fi?
I have a 2017 and although i heard BT will work for that year, I didn't want to bother with "what if" So I went with the mini WiFi version. Plus bluetooth is always hooked up to my phone or a passengers phone. This way wifi can just be dedicated to the OBD2.

The one i got is no longer available. But its just like the one in the link below, except it was white. [Looks the same as all the other cheeppie "mini" clones out there like the Veepeak] internals are most likely all the same made at the same chinese factory.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KGP1VRH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_KZi4Cb39BS22T
Sponsored

Last edited:

Boosted1one

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Which PIDs do I add are for the IATs? On torque pro i saw Short/long fuel bank 1 and 2, only bank 1 works. So far the only readings I got from the car that look proper is the Air Fuel Ratio and the Short/Long Fuel. Not even the boost seems to have the correct reading. I have also no idea how to start the performance measurements, 0-62mph etc...any help is greatly appreciated!
I am still playing with it myself. Learning via trial/error. Boost is definately off, i recall a post somewhere on how to properly adjust it.

What graph did you use for Air/Fuel ratio?

As far as PIDs. These were very helpful.
Taken from another post.
Ok, I tested both IAT and ECT Pids tonight against Autel AL519 live Scanner and the values matched up! See below pics for comparison, IAT 11 and ECT1 match perfectly! Below is setup for both Pids for Torque!

IAT:
PID: 0168
LONG NAME: Intake Air Temp
SHORT NAME: IAT
MIN VAL: -40
MAX VAL: 300
SCALE: x1
UNIT: °C
EQUATION: B-40

ECT:
PID: 0167
LONG NAME: Engine Coolant
SHORT NAME: ECT
MIN VAL: -40
MAX VAL: 300
SCALE: x1
UNIT: °C
EQUATION: B-40

13362FFC-ADD2-41FD-84BE-0505B296A89C.jpeg

F7A9E3D6-A7B1-4BC6-967A-FB5996CA49D8.jpeg

493572F5-7AC7-4819-A180-D73446E1F7F0.jpeg
2EA7D6E0-7AFA-4069-B6B5-1FD56B4297A4.png

I think I may have found IAT2, what do you think?

*******Update*********

Happy to report that this works! Currently running the Mishimoto Intake System and temperature levels seem to directly correlate with the forward motion of the vehicle.

Ambient: 61 F
IAT2 Stopped: 80-89 F
IAT2 @50 MPH: 71-75 F

Last edited:

dt17

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatchback turbo 2017
Country flag

Boosted1one

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is this Infotainment system i saw online while searching for a large 13+ inch infotainment screen

It has OBD II ports included to show stuff on the display..
That thing does look pretty neat. If it really can do what it claims, price doesn't seem too bad either.. It looks like a shiny gift for some thieves though. Even has Android 9 Pie.

Some red flags though if you were planning on purchasing it...

Specs appear misleading:

OBDII: With this OBDII Scanner, you can connect it to your car’s DLC port and open the unit’s Bluetooth for monitoring the car’s fuel consumption, water temperature, revolving speed, environment temperature, intake pressure, throttle position, air flow, computer load, car speed etc in the OBD interface.

• I don't know what they mean by "with this OBD2 scanner" what scanner?
  • It shown as (optional feature) as well, with no option to "add it on" .
  • There isn't a ObD2 connector on that unit.
  • They mention connecting through Bluetooth.
Leads me to conclude there is no hardline for obd2. For the function to work as advertised, it's still the same route as the rest of us. Dongle, etc.

Same issues with the claim TPMS "support".

All intents and purposes.. it's basically a large integrated tablet and seller listing things that are android capable.

Which isn't bad per se. I would consider it, if there was a need.

Any buyer would just have to know what they are getting.

It is interesting, thanks for sharing.

FK8_K20c1

HONDA The Power of Earth Dreams Technology!
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
For a tuner app to work on an UNHACKED Honda head Unit, with Carplay or Android Auto, it would need to be "allowed" by Androis Auto or Carplay.
For Android Auto, that would require Google to add that app to the list, like they have done, for the Music player Poweramp. (I have no experiences with Iphones and Carplay)

The other two options are

(1) Honda Hack the HU, and then you can install almost anything on it, like TunerView.
Using Honda hack has some potentail dangers you should make sure you are aware of BEFORE using it.

(2) Add a temporarily Mountable Tablet,( Android or Apple) and you can run almost ANYTHING on that, and have it in addition to what is already on the somewhat Limited Honda Display.
You have DUAL displays !!!

I would strongly favor #2 because

(1) It does not hack the head unit, so no warranty issues.
(2) Head unit is already slow, you do not want to mess with it and make it even slower, even if you are not concerned about warranty.
(3) The Tablet can easily be updates in future years, as better faster, devices become available, OLED screens that are good in bright sunlight , faster, more memory etc etc.
You can take the Tablet out and use it elsewhere as well.
It does not Modify your car in any way that could be argued voided any warranty.

================

"You cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" - (The Honda Unit is the sow's ear)
If you want a fancy purse, go out an get a "Bottega Veneta" (Tablet)

(well maybe not that expensive a Tablet !!)
https://www.luxos.com/news/fashion/5260-the-twelve-most-expensive-handbags-in-the-world
If warranty is an issue I do not recommend modding the car at all. I have the honda hack since it came out and my radio is as fast as it came from the factory. Those who have lagging issues is because some apps like google services make the system slow.

r_rated_ctr

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Guess I'm just old and dont understand much easy, but do you download the obd2aa on your phone or the radio itself? I already have the obd2 adapter and torque pro.

Boosted1one

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
do you download the obd2aa on your phone or the radio itself? I already have the obd2 adapter and torque pro.

I don't know the straight forward answer, but here are some resources.:

- NOT COMPATIBLE WITH XIAMOI PHONES!
- Multiple reports of not working on Samsung devices!!!

Instructions on how to use:
1) Install

2) Make sure you do not have any other 3rd party app Android Auto app installed.

3) Open the app and hopefully it will be quite self explanatory on how to set it up (choose colours, set gauge number, etc)

4) Open Android Auto (on the phone), go to About, tap the "About Android Auto" header 10 times, once you are a developer from the 3 dotted right corner menu select "Start Headunit Server" (ROOT users can skip this step!)

5) Close Android Auto

6) MAKE SURE YOUR SCREEN IS UNLOCKED and connect to the car, when prompted which app to use select "OBD2AA" and always (this needs to be done one time only) - If you are a HUR user select Android Auto and always!
If you do not see the prompt to chose, please go to settings -> apps -> all apps -> Google Play Services -> Clear Defaults and then try again

7) Select the last tab on the right, by pressing it again you should see an app selector and choose OBD2AA

8) Give it a bit of time to start pulling the data from Torque

Additional information link below, as well as what appears to be more install options:

App Requirement

• OBD2 Reader
    • Android Auto compatible headunit or at least a copy of the Headunit Reloaded App (see signature).

This app will have limited functionality if you are using Android Auto on a your phone, the only functions you will be able to use is to see are notification about the speed cameras and street card!
Gauges and torque data will NOT work!

How to purchase:
  1. Install XDA Labs on your phone.
  2. Open and install OBD2AA
Instructions on how to get it running:

Option 1 - Will work on any phone & car/headunit combination, however the following features won't: - AutoPlay Music, 6 Tap limit remover, DPI change
  1. After installing the app from XDA Labs, sign up for beta testing here: https://play.google.com/apps/testing...ni.emil.obd2aa and update the app
  2. Once app is updated, make sure you disable auto-update in PlayStore then please uninstall it and reinstall it from XDA Labs.
  3. With your screen unlocked, plug in the phone to the car, when prompted which app to use make sure you select "Android Auto"

Option 2 - Might NOT work on some device combination (for sure it won't work on Xiaomi phones), but if this method works all functions of the app are available
  1. Install
  2. Make sure you do not have any other 3rd party app Android Auto app installed.
  3. Open the app and hopefully it will be quite self explanatory on how to set it up (choose colours, set gauge number, etc)
  4. Open Android Auto (on the phone), go to About, tap the "About Android Auto" header 10 times, once you are a developer from the 3 dotted right corner menu select "Start Headunit Server" (ROOT users can skip this step!)
  5. Close Android Auto
  6. MAKE SURE YOUR SCREEN IS UNLOCKED and connect to the car, when prompted which app to use select "OBD2AA" and always (this needs to be done one time only) - If you are a HUR user select Android Auto and always! (If you do not see the prompt to chose, please go to settings -> apps -> all apps -> Google Play Services -> Clear Defaults and then try again)
  7. Select the last tab on the right, by pressing it again you should see an app selector and choose OBD2AA
  8. Give it a bit of time to start pulling the data from Torque.

2020MSMcivicSI

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
  1. Install
  2. Make sure you do not have any other 3rd party app Android Auto app installed.
  3. Open the app and hopefully it will be quite self explanatory on how to set it up (choose colours, set gauge number, etc)
  4. Open Android Auto (on the phone), go to About, tap the "About Android Auto" header 10 times, once you are a developer from the 3 dotted right corner menu select "Start Headunit Server" (ROOT users can skip this step!)
  5. Close Android Auto
  6. MAKE SURE YOUR SCREEN IS UNLOCKED and connect to the car, when prompted which app to use select "OBD2AA" and always (this needs to be done one time only) - If you are a HUR user select Android Auto and always! (If you do not see the prompt to chose, please go to settings -> apps -> all apps -> Google Play Services -> Clear Defaults and then try again)
  7. Select the last tab on the right, by pressing it again you should see an app selector and choose OBD2AA
  8. Give it a bit of time to start pulling the data from Torque.
This is the method I'm using but it really isn't what I would call "Torque Pro". From what i understand, the OBD2AA app now runs its own interface and uses torque in the background to gather the information. People used to be able to just run Torque Pro in AA (like in the video posted in this thread) but I cannot get Torque to run in AA. The gauges in Torque are much nicer looking and more responsive on my phone than the OBD2AA.

Is anyone with a 2019 or 2020 able to get Torque to run directly in AA? And by this I mean, connect phone, go to the app list, and select Torque?

(I think an update to AA in 2019 took away the ability to run Torque... there is so much info in the XDA thread... but its hard to get an answer as this stuff is constantly changing)

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Buckeye Honda says a lot of apps are available for the factory head units but it must be jailbroken to utilize and install them which will void your factory radio warranty. They have a racing team and the director of parts and service for Buckeye Honda is their driver for the race team. They are quite knowledgeable and a great dealership if you're in the Columbus area 2020MSMcivicSI.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
This is the method I'm using but it really isn't what I would call "Torque Pro". From what i understand, the OBD2AA app now runs its own interface and uses torque in the background to gather the information. People used to be able to just run Torque Pro in AA (like in the video posted in this thread) but I cannot get Torque to run in AA. The gauges in Torque are much nicer looking and more responsive on my phone than the OBD2AA.

Is anyone with a 2019 or 2020 able to get Torque to run directly in AA? And by this I mean, connect phone, go to the app list, and select Torque?

(I think an update to AA in 2019 took away the ability to run Torque... there is so much info in the XDA thread... but its hard to get an answer as this stuff is constantly changing)
Yes, you may need to go find and install an older version of AA on your Phone. (ie Not the current one the Play Store)

2020MSMcivicSI

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
I don't really want to use the "Honda Hack" unless I have to... last resort kinda thing.

Yes, you may need to go find and install an older version of AA on your Phone. (ie Not the current one the Play Store)
Didn't think of down-grading the version of AA... Thanks for the tip. Do you know of a specific version that did work? (I'm thinking it needs to be lower than 3.0)

If I find a version that works, I'll make sure to post it.
Sponsored