Current 2017 Civic Type R Trade-in value, should I trade-in or not? Did you?

Infinity000

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2004 CR-V
Country flag
Hello all fellow enthusiasts! It has been a while.

Considering the current world economics, I am torn between selling my 2017 black CTR, R-01096, which has under 37k miles on it. Every year I garage the car for winter so it never touches an ounce of salt, but I do use it as my daily driver between work in the warmer weather. I love the car. (Although if I could do it again I would choose another color beside black...Never buying a black car again...so hard to keep clean!)

Anyways, besides a few nicks in the paint, which I touch up myself, the car is practically new. Kelly blue book lists the car for 40-44k trade-in right now, which is more than I paid for it. Should I take advantage of the higher selling power of the car? Or keep it for all the fun it provides each time I enter it...It is a very hard choice right now. What have others been doing?
Sponsored

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
tons of people have kept it, tons of people have sold it and moved on.

its ultimately up to you. i decided to keep it for now cause although i can get a lot for the ctr, the car i want to buy is also priced insanely.

OP
OP

Infinity000

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
tons of people have kept it, tons of people have sold it and moved on.

its ultimately up to you. i decided to keep it for now cause although i can get a lot for the ctr, the car i want to buy is also priced insanely.
True...my wife wants me to buy something more suitable for yard work...like a truck..as we just also lost our 1997 F-150 recently. RIP. Anyways, we own ducks and chickens, and I'm not transporting feed in the CTR haha. But truck prices today are also outrageous...

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
True...my wife wants me to buy something more suitable for yard work...like a truck..as we just also lost our 1997 F-150 recently. RIP. Anyways, we own ducks and chickens, and I'm not transporting feed in the CTR haha. But truck prices today are also outrageous...
I'd put a trailer hitch on the Type R before I'd get rid of it for a boring truck - F- all that. Get a beater truck for the one off that a truck is needed.

Don't make us sad and you enjoy the things you do in life imo - wife should support that not tell you to get rid of the beast!

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
I would trade my 2019 for a 2021 or a 11th gen R once its on the 2nd or 3rd year - if I even like it. But really this has to be my most enjoyable car I have ever owned and I have had a lot of fun cars (all at 30k or less). I also hate black paint..

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
Yeah, the real number is not what you can get for the CTR, but what you will have to pay for its replacement, once you factor in what you get. If you can even get the replacement you want. Right now we're sort of in that limbo period between announcement and availability for a lot of cars, as well as sitting in an awkward in-between state of EV development. Add to that supply chain woes, COVID, trade tensions, aliens, sunspots, and the Stay-Puft Marshmallow man, finding a suitable ride is not exactly easy right now. Maybe if you want a cookie-cutter SUV and aren't too picky, but otherwise, ouch.

whytfwontthiswork

First Name
s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Country flag
I can pocket 10-15k if I sold my CTR right now compared to what I paid for it but IMO that isn't enough to replace the joy I get out of driving my car

That being said, if I had the money to sell AND buy a new supra comfortably, I would

ManfromRI

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CW Civic Type R
Country flag
F that... Buy a beater for the yard truck and keep driving the R ??

OP
OP

Infinity000

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah, the real number is not what you can get for the CTR, but what you will have to pay for its replacement, once you factor in what you get. If you can even get the replacement you want. Right now we're sort of in that limbo period between announcement and availability for a lot of cars, as well as sitting in an awkward in-between state of EV development. Add to that supply chain woes, COVID, trade tensions, aliens, sunspots, and the Stay-Puft Marshmallow man, finding a suitable ride is not exactly easy right now. Maybe if you want a cookie-cutter SUV and aren't too picky, but otherwise, ouch.
So true....I am anticipating Honda's EV reveals over the next few years, especially to replace my wife's 2004 CRV. The situation is great for selling right now, but not for buying...same for housing. Thanks all for your input. Think I'll sit on the car a bit more...mostly for the joy of riding it.

Kinda switching gears here, but anyone here near me that knows a good Honda dealership that doesn't charge an arm and a leg just to do regular maintenance on a vehicle? Bob Rohrman Honda in Lafayette now has a $130 diagnostic fee just to examine a car now...
Sponsored