CTR wing removal / deletion solution

Interested in removing the factory wing and covering the mounting holes with a simple solution?

• Total voters

Gotrpms

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
This is my first post. I picked up my 2019 Black type R on Monday and plan on taking off the wing tonight. I ordered some color matched vinyl and for black I think that might be sufficient. Can you remove the middle clip?
Sponsored

OP
OP
J o n

J o n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Z/28, '22 Ridgeline , '22 CR-V Hybrid
Country flag
This is my first post. I picked up my 2019 Black type R on Monday and plan on taking off the wing tonight. I ordered some color matched vinyl and for black I think that might be sufficient. Can you remove the middle clip?
Yes
Honda Civic 10th gen CTR wing removal / deletion solution fxnZCmvl

Honda Civic 10th gen CTR wing removal / deletion solution TwqhDefl

Gotrpms

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Excellent, I ordered the vinyl from colormatchwrap.com that was linked earlier in the thread. Hopefully it matches but on black I am not too worried.

Gotrpms

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Excellent, I ordered the vinyl from colormatchwrap.com that was linked earlier in the thread. Hopefully it matches but on black I am not too worried.
Well I removed the wing and loved the look of the car but I need a better solution to cover the holes. The color matched vinyl wasn't seamless enough for me. How did the 3d printed caps work out?

OP
OP
J o n

J o n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Z/28, '22 Ridgeline , '22 CR-V Hybrid
Country flag
Well I removed the wing and loved the look of the car but I need a better solution to cover the holes. The color matched vinyl wasn't seamless enough for me. How did the 3d printed caps work out?
My resource for 3D printed solution is busy with Covid related obligations. I'm content with my black stickers on the holes. They hold up great, not issues since I put them on. Hand wash over them and go through car washes without failure

MLawrence

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si
Country flag
Hello, this is my 1st post and thread on the forum. Not a CTR owner as of yet.

Have been very much interested in the 2017+ CTR since it's release and been actively following this forum too, however the styling with the wing has been a barrier to entry for me. Was waiting with anticipation for the 2020 model to be announced with at least an option for a low wing or spoiler, given the various photos of low wing/spoiler cars that were circulated.

Since the 2020 CTR announcement came and went without any wing changes or options. I put in a casual phone call to APR Performance yesterday, they make aftermarket CTR wings as shown here:
http://aprperformance.com/racing-vehicle/civic-type-r-2016-up/

Their wings come with carbon base-plates that mount via the factory mounting holes, as seen in the pics. These base-plates are all that are needed to remove the OEM wing and weatherproof the mounting area. Each base-plate is $122 with the hardware and gasket included ($244 for both).

6fKaqN5.jpg

9wW23XB.jpg

Install is as simple as shown here:
http://aprperformance.com/manuals/

These base-plates do have vertical sections that allow for the upright pedestals to be mounted. If you're looking for a quick and easy way to remove the wing these base plates are all you need. I could of bought them yesterday on the phone.

However, if you're looking for a 'cleaner' look (as I am), I asked APR would they produce these base-plates without the upright pedestal accommodations. They said with enough interest, they would indeed produce the smooth base-plates just to act as a weatherproofing solution to removing the OEM wing.

So I ask this community, who has interest in removing / deleting their CTR's OEM wing via a simple solution? Please vote accordingly.

***Not speaking on APR's behalf or excluding other potential manufacturers of such component to create a wing deletion / removal solution without the need for a new hatch or welding/body work.

Image of holes that need covered to the left and right of the rear window, technically the covers do not need to be as big the APR base-plates (they're that large to support the wing's load)
if5pyb0.jpg

FIvtAwD.jpg

Images of wingless CTRs
OWxWVWt.jpg

t7qjsZc.jpg

F23tW1Z.jpg

H1PBOxC.jpg
I like this look a lot.
I never liked how aggressive the CTR looked. It's far too cool of a car, to look like a kid's hot wheels car.
It has way too much awesomeness going on under the hood and body panels, to need to front and be pretentious.
Better to have a CTR, and it look and sound like innocent... and then just surprise the f*ck out of an unsuspecting tryhard.

Seriously, if you're using a CTR at the track, then sure why not. Leave the wing on. It has performance advantages.
But if it's just a casual daily driver, then why?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I like this look a lot.
I never liked how aggressive the CTR looked. It's far too cool of a car, to look like a kid's hot wheels car.
It has way too much awesomeness going on under the hood and body panels, to need to front and be pretentious.
Better to have a CTR, and it look and sound like innocent... and then just surprise the f*ck out of an unsuspecting tryhard.

Seriously, if you're using a CTR at the track, then sure why not. Leave the wing on. It has performance advantages.
But if it's just a casual daily driver, then why?
Even in everyday driving the wing can produce usable downforce. I know someone on these forums took theirs off for a little while, but then put it back on. They noticed a huge difference when they put it back on as they found the car more stable. I did a few posts about the effectiveness of the wing at different speeds and in different scenarios (under braking it’s likely that the wing has higher downforce than in a neutral gate or under acceleration).

CTSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
Why did you buy the car? You didn't like the appearance of the car when you bought it, and now still don't like it? Maybe should have bought another in the first place or should move on to something else now. The wing does work at speed< than 120 mph.

Notice that the European version now being offered without the high wing does not remove the wing, but moves it to a different place and height.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Why did you buy the car? You didn't like the appearance of the car when you bought it, and now still don't like it? Maybe should have bought another in the first place or should move on to something else now. The wing does work at speed< than 120 mph.

Notice that the European version now being offered without the high wing does not remove the wing, but moves it to a different place and height.
I could be wrong, but I think the European Sportline trim uses a spoiler instead of a wing.

CTSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
That could be true, mea culpa, haven't looked at it that closely. An entirely different approach, destroys lift rather than producing downforce, potentially much less effective at speed.

CTSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
Circumcision does not necessarily result in a reduction of functionality, whereas a wingectomy does.

Beavis

First Name
Beavis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Most hardware stores carry rubber and/or plastic grommet plugs in various sizes. I’m sure with plugs and some touch up paint won’t look too bad.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Most hardware stores carry rubber and/or plastic grommet plugs in various sizes. I’m sure with plugs and some touch up paint won’t look too bad.
I likely wouldn't paint rubber parts like that. Just some rubber white stoppers/plugs should be enough to cover up the holes and stop most liquid ingress.
Sponsored