CTR wing removal / deletion solution

Interested in removing the factory wing and covering the mounting holes with a simple solution?

• Total voters

J o n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Z/28, '22 Ridgeline , '22 CR-V Hybrid
Country flag
Hello, this is my 1st post and thread on the forum. Not a CTR owner as of yet.

Have been very much interested in the 2017+ CTR since it's release and been actively following this forum too, however the styling with the wing has been a barrier to entry for me. Was waiting with anticipation for the 2020 model to be announced with at least an option for a low wing or spoiler, given the various photos of low wing/spoiler cars that were circulated.

Since the 2020 CTR announcement came and went without any wing changes or options. I put in a casual phone call to APR Performance yesterday, they make aftermarket CTR wings as shown here:
http://aprperformance.com/racing-vehicle/civic-type-r-2016-up/

Their wings come with carbon base-plates that mount via the factory mounting holes, as seen in the pics. These base-plates are all that are needed to remove the OEM wing and weatherproof the mounting area. Each base-plate is $122 with the hardware and gasket included ($244 for both).

Honda Civic 10th gen CTR wing removal / deletion solution 6fKaqN5

Honda Civic 10th gen CTR wing removal / deletion solution 9wW23XB

Install is as simple as shown here:
http://aprperformance.com/manuals/

These base-plates do have vertical sections that allow for the upright pedestals to be mounted. If you're looking for a quick and easy way to remove the wing these base plates are all you need. I could of bought them yesterday on the phone.

However, if you're looking for a 'cleaner' look (as I am), I asked APR would they produce these base-plates without the upright pedestal accommodations. They said with enough interest, they would indeed produce the smooth base-plates just to act as a weatherproofing solution to removing the OEM wing.

So I ask this community, who has interest in removing / deleting their CTR's OEM wing via a simple solution? Please vote accordingly.

***Not speaking on APR's behalf or excluding other potential manufacturers of such component to create a wing deletion / removal solution without the need for a new hatch or welding/body work.

Image of holes that need covered to the left and right of the rear window, technically the covers do not need to be as big the APR base-plates (they're that large to support the wing's load)
Honda Civic 10th gen CTR wing removal / deletion solution if5pyb0

Honda Civic 10th gen CTR wing removal / deletion solution FIvtAwD

Images of wingless CTRs
Honda Civic 10th gen CTR wing removal / deletion solution OWxWVWt

Honda Civic 10th gen CTR wing removal / deletion solution t7qjsZc

Honda Civic 10th gen CTR wing removal / deletion solution F23tW1Z

Honda Civic 10th gen CTR wing removal / deletion solution H1PBOxC

Last edited:

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Didn’t @TypeSiR delete his wing originally?

I think it’s heresy to do such a thing, but if it’s really something you cannot live with it (you should consider taking off the vortex generators, the fender vents, etc too) you probably could do it.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Didn’t @TypeSiR delete his wing originally?

I think it’s heresy to do such a thing, but if it’s really something you cannot live with it (you should consider taking off the vortex generators, the fender vents, etc too) you probably could do it.
I had it off for a few months and it made the hatch super difficult to close and slightly affected everyday driving stability. It’s now back on the car.

No problem with people who want to delete the wing. It’s your car. Do what you like. I vote yes.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
I am like you, I think the wing is a little much. I think if you want to take it off then take it off. But you might want to consider the sport hatch like @Iilac was suggesting. Yes the wing is supposed to be functional but I think if you keep it under 120 you wouldn’t even notice. Plus it might shave some weight off the car. It kinda reminds me of the Plymouth roadrunner. You had the regular roadrunner which was fast and then the superbird that had euro on it and a huge wing so it was better on a track. Honestly I thing the regular roadrunner looks better. Here’s a picture of both if you don’t know what I’m referring to
Honda Civic 10th gen CTR wing removal / deletion solution C92D2549-A6E9-46BF-BD57-7BBB6D8E846F
Honda Civic 10th gen CTR wing removal / deletion solution 2B60E2C5-2842-4E13-B60B-32D850205BD5

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I had it off for a few months and it made the hatch super difficult to close and slightly affected everyday driving stability. It’s now back on the car.

No problem with people who want to delete the wing. It’s your car. Do what you like. I vote yes.
I don’t remember if I ever asked, but did you ever remove the vortex generators when you had the wing off to see what affect it would have on the car aerodynamically? I have a feeling it would help the car slightly in terms of stability, but nothing like having both the vortex generators and wing together as a combo.

____

Personally if anyone removes the wing, and you’re welcome to, I’d also recommend removing the vortex generators as they interplay with the wing to create downforce. If you leave them on, then the vortices generated have nothing to deal with them once the wing is gone.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don’t remember if I ever asked, but did you ever remove the vortex generators when you had the wing off to see what affect it would have on the car aerodynamically? I have a feeling it would help the car slightly in terms of stability, but nothing like having both the vortex generators and wing together as a combo.

____

Personally if anyone removes the wing, and you’re welcome to, I’d also recommend removing the vortex generators as they interplay with the wing to create downforce. If you leave them on, then the vortices generated have nothing to deal with them once the wing is gone.
No, I didn’t remove the vortex generators (VG) due to inconvenience. The wing was easy to remove but the VGs are taped on. I would’ve kept the wing off if not for the fact that I’m returning the car to stock and going a different route.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
No, I didn’t remove the vortex generators (VG) due to inconvenience. The wing was easy to remove but the VGs are taped on. I would’ve kept the wing off if not for the fact that I’m returning the car to stock and going a different route.
Are they really taped on? I thought they were just clipped in. I remember I knocked one of them off when removing snow off my car last year. The connection seemed very similar to the ones found around the fender/wheel well lining.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Are they really taped on? I thought they were just clipped in. I remember I knocked one of them off when removing snow off my car last year. The connection seemed very similar to the ones found around the fender/wheel well lining.
The middle four are taped on. Not sure if he’s using OEM parts though.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag

Those aren't OEM for sure. I know for a fact that they use a clip system and there are guide holes for them to go into, I believe there's a black gasket as well.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag

I went outside and pulled one off, takes seconds to do actually. There are two holes for each vortex generator on the car that need to be plugged if you remove them. The black portion is a rubber gasket that keeps liquid out.

Honda Civic 10th gen CTR wing removal / deletion solution IMG_7736
Honda Civic 10th gen CTR wing removal / deletion solution IMG_7738
Honda Civic 10th gen CTR wing removal / deletion solution IMG_7739