CTR VS Accord Type R Turbo

Naruske

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Hi, came across this video while searching for new videos lol but credits to whoever the owners are! I really thought the type r would still put some distance but guess not.

Sponsored

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
Its not surprising that the Accord can keep pace. We don't know what mods were done, but the Accord isn't too far below the CTR in terms of power. The Accord will fall short in just about every other performance area. Braking, cornering, and I understand the manual in the Accord isn't very good compared to the CTR. Also, pushing the Accord engine may not be good for its longevity. I don't think it shares 100% of the parts of the CTR engine.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Accord + Type R turbo... Anything else done to the car? Is it a 6 speed or a 10 speed (10 speed will accelerate faster)? Since it's got an aftermarket turbo, that probably also means it's been tuned, what tune? Type R + Mods, what mods and what tune? An Accord + Type R Turbo + auto + tune will be faster than a Type R with no tune regardless of what bolt ons you can get on it. Also another major question, what tires are both cars running? A CTR running AS tires will definitely be slower than an Accord on PS4s. There are a lot of unknowns here.

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I wonder what the difference in coefficient of drag between the two is? I'd bet the CTR has quite a bit more drag used to create downforce and cooling.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I wonder what the difference in coefficient of drag between the two is? I'd bet the CTR has quite a bit more drag used to create downforce and cooling.
Not sure compared to the Accord, but in the press release for the 2017 Civic Type R, they quoted that they increased the downforce while decreasing the drag compared to a normal Civic hatchback using voodoo magic. OK, maybe not voodoo magic, but the aero of the CTR helps reduce drag, mainly around the wheels. The side vents on the front bumper (not the splitter that sends air to the brakes) sends air around the front wheels to create an air curtain to reduce drag this way. The side skirts and rear flaring also provide similar benefits. More specifically, Honda quoted a coefficient of drag of 0.26.

For reference on what this number means:
  • 2001 Toyota Prius CoD = 0.29
  • 2009-2015 Toyota Prius CoD = 0.25
  • Tesla Model 3 CoD = 0.21
  • Tesla Model S CoD = 0.24
  • Audi A6/Mazda 3/Nissan GTR CoD = 0.26
I can't seem to dig up a CoD for the current generation Accord. Previous generations have been around 0.3, though it's probably gone down since then.

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
^Wow. I didn't know the CTR was so slippery. No wonder it keeps pulling so hard over 100 MPH.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
^Wow. I didn't know the CTR was so slippery. No wonder it keeps pulling so hard over 100 MPH.
Yeah, it was kind of hard to believe when I read the numbers, but damn, Honda made a deal with the devil or something to pull off that hat trick :p
Sponsored