OP
OP

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
I keep hearing about a wait list to purchase the Type R and putting down a deposit. I've called a few dealers and they have no clue what I'm talking about. You can add your name on Honda.com to get Type R news but that's the only to get the latest info. Does anyone have any info on this supposed wait list or a way to secure a Type R in the color you want?
Realistically, there are dealers who are interested in taking your money on a prototype and there are others who are honest and say they will contact you once it becomes a product.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to visit your local dealer and let them know you are interested in a caR, once available. What happens beyond that is between you and your dealer.

Is there an official 'wait list' that is produced by Honda? No.
Sponsored

Wheel_Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Passport Elite, '16 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro
Country flag
350+ would be nice!
Ha!! Do I hear 360?!! Anyone? Anyone? 350 going once... 350 going twice... !! This is where I write some alternative facts about how I talked to an engineer in Japan and he told me that it is guaranteed to have at least 355hp. Yep. That's the truth. I just said it to myself out loud so I know I heard it loud and clear. Anyone that claims otherwise is pitching fake news. Alternative facts. You can't beat that! :)

Yeah. In all seriousness, I think I'm going to be pretty damn stoked if it shows up with even 325hp. It's a Civic. 325hp in a Civic... from the factory. I will just keep repeating that until my mind can wrap it's little brain around it. Anything over 325hp and I'll consider that a bonus. If it shows up with only 315hp or something, I'll be a little bummed, but it'll still be a blast. :)

notavr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Our Honda rep was in today and he said each dealer is getting 1 Type R for the year. He didn't know when they would be showing up though

Dr_Drache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 CRX - 2017 FK8 TypeR
Country flag
Our Honda rep was in today and he said each dealer is getting 1 Type R for the year. He didn't know when they would be showing up though
What state are you in?
if his profile is right, Northern Tip of West Virginia.

real question is; who are these "Honda Reps" and how come every one has a different story?

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
if his profile is right, Northern Tip of West Virginia.

real question is; who are these "Honda Reps" and how come every one has a different story?
He's repeating what was mentioned months ago - 1,000 for 1044 dealers, about one per. Several dealer connected posts have indicated high volume dealers will get as many as 3. Which means not all dealers will get even one CTR and several of us will be disappointed when we go in for a test drive.

Last edited:

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
He's repeating what was mentioned months ago - 1,000 for 1044 dealers, about one per. Several dealer connected posts have indicated high volume dealers will get as many as 3. Which means, unless there's fewer than 15 high volume dealers, several of us will be disappointed when we go in for a test drive.
They may not even let you test drive one.

Up here in Canada VW was selling Golf R's without allowing for test drives unless you put down a massive non-refundable deposit, or if you had a long history with whatever dealer was lucky enough to get one.

Leetcivx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si
Country flag
They may not even let you test drive one.

Up here in Canada VW was selling Golf R's without allowing for test drives unless you put down a massive non-refundable deposit, or if you had a long history with whatever dealer was lucky enough to get one.
Massive non-refundable deposit for a test drive?... What if you drive it and it isnt at all what you expected?..

notavr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
He's repeating what was mentioned months ago - 1,000 for 1044 dealers, about one per. Several dealer connected posts have indicated high volume dealers will get as many as 3. Which means, unless there's fewer than 15 high volume dealers, several of us will be disappointed when we go in for a test drive.
this is what the rep told the gm, owner, and sales manager today so that's as much as i know. we're not a huge dealership but we're not small either so who knows. i was under the impression it would be limited but not a one and done so maybe once they're all over the world we'll start getting more

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Massive non-refundable deposit for a test drive?... What if you drive it and it isnt at all what you expected?..
You were shit out of luck.

It sounds insane, but it really was happening when demand far, far outweighed supply. Partially it deterred curb kickers, but realistically it was the dealer saying fuck you, somebody else will buy it then.

Also it was probably like that because it's limited production, replacing one is nigh impossible should something happen during the test drive.

That said, I hope Honda doesn't do that with the CTR

Stock_07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
There is a lot of people of there that just want to test drive a type r but can't afford one like myself. I have a long history with a local honda dealer and I am planning on buying a Si if its decent. I won't have a issue test driving a type r.

Leetcivx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si
Country flag
yeah i understand what you mean, but to me it seems like very poor customer service. a large non refundable deposit on a sub $40K car in it's first year is a big gamble. I have test driven more expensive and more powerful cars (C63 AMG, camaro 1SS) without putting down a deposit.

i agree with you that hopefully honda dealers dont try to do this. If the dealer/salesperson is doing their job, they will qualify the customer and know if the person is serious about buying.

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R 2014 Pilot 08 Mugen Si
Country flag
Aside from them not wanting to let you, there will not be any to test drive....for a loooong time

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
Maybe I'm coming from a more serious track car mentality but I wouldn't expect to be able to test drive a CTR before purchasing it... I never test drove my Exige before signing the papers over to me. You research research research and determine that by your understanding of a vehicle if you would want to invest in it.

No way in hell if you are in the market for this car that test driving it would throw it off... it will be a flag ship vehicle for it's class.

Summerwha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Civic Hatchback Si
Aside from them not wanting to let you, there will not be any to test drive....for a loooong time
I'm just wondering if there will be any available to buy or will they go so fast I won't even get a chance. I know I want to purchase CTR if it stays around $32. If they jack it up above $33, I'm probably out.
Sponsored