CTR Rev Matching and Emissions Issues w/Check Engine light.

scoobysnack

First Name
no
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 2008 Volvo C30, 2009 Infiniti G37
Country flag
Apologies if this has been summarized before, but since this will affect alot of owners I want to try to summarize 32 pages of discussion. Do I have this right, the below?

1) CTRs were built with two different engine harnasses, "Version 1" and "Version 2" (which has the TWO zip ties)
2) If you have harnass version 1 and it faults with the rev match/emission CEL, you'll likely get code P0035 which requires replacement of the entire harnass assembly
3) If your CTR was built with the version 2 harnass and you get a fault it will likely throw P2261 and instead of replacing the entire harnass you just need to replace the turbo bypass control valve which is less work than replacing the engine harnass

Sound right?
Sponsored

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
Apologies if this has been summarized before, but since this will affect alot of owners I want to try to summarize 32 pages of discussion. Do I have this right, the below?

1) CTRs were built with two different engine harnasses, "Version 1" and "Version 2" (which has the TWO zip ties)
2) If you have harnass version 1 and it faults with the rev match/emission CEL, you'll likely get code P0035 which requires replacement of the entire harnass assembly
3) If your CTR was built with the version 2 harnass and you get a fault it will likely throw P2261 and instead of replacing the entire harnass you just need to replace the turbo bypass control valve which is less work than replacing the engine harnass

Sound right?
Yeah
#1 Is correct, and I believe most early to mid year 2017's had harness v1. Mine was purchased in January 2018, and had v2.
#2 Is correct as well from what is seen in this thread, but...
#3 P2261 gives the same visual errors (which is why I and a small handful of people posted in here), but is a somewhat different issue. However, having harness v1 or v2 is not directly related to seeing a P2261, which prompts needing a replacement of the turbocharger bypass valve; You can still have harness v1 and get P2261 I would guess (though the likelihood you'll see P0035 first is high).

Summing up: The v1 harness would get broken wires from pins due to hitting a resonated frequency that would stress the wires attached to the pins. It is unrelated to the valve seizing open/closed, but the harness does have a direct impact to the valve not working is my understanding. Which is why there is similar outcomes. P0035 = check harness, P2261 = check turbocharger bypass valve.

DanZilla

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, S2000
Country flag
So my lights just came on but I live In Germany with the nearest Honda dealer being 2 hours away. Is it safe enough to drive 2 hours away to drop it off? I have a 2018 so I'm assuming it be the P2261 code.

Worst scenario, if its the P2261 code, can I just change the turbocharger bypass valve myself? I'm storing the car for the winter so sucks it just happened as I was parking into my garage, lol.

spyder93090

I'm here to kick names and take ass.
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Championship White Type R #20034
Country flag
Got both alerts today on my 2018, R#20034 - gonna show this thread to my dealer.

Semi-related but I bought my CTR from a dealership 2.5 hrs. away but my main dealership (where I took my previous Civic every time) is only 5 minutes away down the street.

Would you guys recommend taking this to my purchase dealership or my local dealership? Does it matter? (This is my first new car purchase)

Ruckus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R. 2012 Honda Ruckus. 2001 civic sedan. 2012 accord sedan.
Country flag
Got both alerts today on my 2018, R#20034 - gonna show this thread to my dealer.

Semi-related but I bought my CTR from a dealership 2.5 hrs. away but my main dealership (where I took my previous Civic every time) is only 5 minutes away down the street.

Would you guys recommend taking this to my purchase dealership or my local dealership? Does it matter? (This is my first new car purchase)
generally speaking it does not matter, any honda dealer has to honor your factory warranty. with that being said ive seen plenty of times in my own personal dealer where people might not be as inclined to go above and beyond for somebody who didnt purchase the vehicle there. i see all the time local customers who bought elsewhere. personally it makes no difference to me. people have the mentality "you didnt buy it here, why should i help you"

id start with your local dealer obviously. like i said it shouldn't make any difference

spyder93090

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
generally speaking it does not matter, any honda dealer has to honor your factory warranty. with that being said ive seen plenty of times in my own personal dealer where people might not be as inclined to go above and beyond for somebody who didnt purchase the vehicle there. i see all the time local customers who bought elsewhere. personally it makes no difference to me. people have the mentality "you didnt buy it here, why should i help you"

id start with your local dealer obviously. like i said it shouldn't make any difference
Yeah, that's what I figured.

I've also heard that dealerships make more money from Service than they do Sales so any dealership is open to taking in new clientele. Also, since warranty work is paid by/billed to Honda corporate, they love taking those too.

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I've also heard that dealerships make more money from Service than they do Sales so any dealership is open to taking in new clientele. Also, since warranty work is paid by/billed to Honda corporate, they love taking those too.
Dealers do not get paid anywhere near the same rate for warranty work as service work.

spyder93090

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Took her in today for this Rev Match/Emissions check and to my surprise, it was none of the codes listed here- I got error P0101 which is a Mass Air Flow issue. This is my first "real car" with a turbo and I did notice a very noticeable sound of the car trying to suck in air at high RPMs but I just assumed it was the turbo (still might be, I don't know).

It self-resolves after 24-48 hours and anytime I take it past 80 mph, it pops back up again and my car's throttle response goes to crap.

Regardless, they're ordering the part and will do the recommended fix on Wednesday.

spyder93090

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Excuse my noobishness but I know close to nothing about the inner workings of cars TBH.

As per my posts above, my 2018 CTR is throwing up the Rev Match/Emissions CEL but is spitting out code P0101 which is a Mass Air Flow (MAF) issue. My dealer service tried swapping out the sensor which didn't fix the problem - I kind of had an inkling it wouldn't. So they are bringing in a Honda manufacturing engineer supposedly from Los Angeles to try and diagnose/fix the problem.

My question is could the turbo bypass valve issue (P2261) somehow lead to my CTR throwing up this MAF P0101 code?

FWIW: There are zero performance modifications to this vehicle.

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
Excuse my noobishness but I know close to nothing about the inner workings of cars TBH.

As per my posts above, my 2018 CTR is throwing up the Rev Match/Emissions CEL but is spitting out code P0101 which is a Mass Air Flow (MAF) issue. My dealer service tried swapping out the sensor which didn't fix the problem - I kind of had an inkling it wouldn't. So they are bringing in a Honda manufacturing engineer supposedly from Los Angeles to try and diagnose/fix the problem.

My question is could the turbo bypass valve issue (P2261) somehow lead to my CTR throwing up this MAF P0101 code?

FWIW: There are zero performance modifications to this vehicle.
The MAF is attached at a point along your intake, post filter, to gauge the air flow coming into the engine, while the turbo bypass valve would control waste pressures of exhaust gasses (like any wastegate, but this dumps back into the system instead of the atmosphere).

So, likely not related? And I only say that with a question mark since I only know the basics, and maybe I'm missing some possible relationship between the two...

I'm surprised that replacing the MAF didn't do anything, but I'm wondering if maybe it's the cable for the MAF? Let us know what the engineer says on this!

spyder93090

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The MAF is attached at a point along your intake, post filter, to gauge the air flow coming into the engine, while the turbo bypass valve would control waste pressures of exhaust gasses (like any wastegate, but this dumps back into the system instead of the atmosphere).

So, likely not related? And I only say that with a question mark since I only know the basics, and maybe I'm missing some possible relationship between the two...

I'm surprised that replacing the MAF didn't do anything, but I'm wondering if maybe it's the cable for the MAF? Let us know what the engineer says on this!
Okay, that makes sense. Ever since getting this car I've been watching every Engineering Explained and Donut Media video on YouTube lol.

Anyway, I was walking back to my car today from the gym and noticed this exposed connector in my grill. Never noticed it until the mechanics at my dealer worked on it yesterday. I immediately emailed my service advisor with pictures but he said, "We'll check it out when you bring it in next" But what if it's something important?! At least run it by a mechanic?

Honda Civic 10th gen CTR Rev Matching and Emissions Issues w/Check Engine light. IMG_0590

Honda Civic 10th gen CTR Rev Matching and Emissions Issues w/Check Engine light. IMG_0591

Honda Civic 10th gen CTR Rev Matching and Emissions Issues w/Check Engine light. IMG_0592-2

Ruckus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R. 2012 Honda Ruckus. 2001 civic sedan. 2012 accord sedan.
Country flag
thats the ambient air sensor.
exactly what he said. this is the outside air temp sensor. this is what displays the temperature reading on your cluster and this is where they mount, behind the bumper.

IHAVEAJEEP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Country flag
Anyone else experiencing a smell after the exhaust gaskets were replaced? How long did it last?
Sponsored