Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1996 ITR, 1992 SI
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have both a 2017 LX hatch and a 2017 CTR. The CTR is a true drivers car, the handling is amazing it loves corners!! The LX is so sloppy and slow compared to the CTR. It is worth buying if you want more power and handing. It is also fairly good on fuel I am getting 600kms per tank full bolt ons with ktuner. If you have the money don't hesitate to buy, you will love it.
Sponsored

GGinMP

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
I just got my new 2021 CTR to replace a 2011 Si that was in great shape before it got hit while parked and near-totaled (enough for me to move on). I do miss the naturally aspirated engine, and the torque band on that car seemed to start at 0 RPM and kept going until almost 7k!

That being said, the Type R is tighter, has better steering, it's more powerful, has WAY better brakes, and being a 2021 has a lot more safety features and Apple CarPlay. For many drivers, I think a new Si may be a better "value" than a new CTR, but for those who would modify it then why not just get the CTR (OK, there's the wing...). Both the current Si and CTR are great cars for the money IMO. The CTR is half the price of the BMW's and Teslas roaming the streets in my town.

Last edited:

Ellenswamy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
I just got my 2020 about a month ago and couldn’t be happier. I was coming from an 09 si but this car is so comfortable to drive. I was also looking at an sti but like others have said I think it looks way better and i may see one other r on the road maybe per week compared to about 100 sti’s

Hwangtkd

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
I traded in my CW 2019 Type R for a 2021 Sunset Orange M2 Competition a week ago. I loved my Type R. Best combo of fun, daily drivability, value for dollar, performance, and looks (yes I said looks). The car was able carry my wife and kids (18 and 7 y/o) with ease and swallow large amounts of items in the rear. Acceleration was decent but the handling was incredible for a FWD platform, much more confidence inspiring than my old s2000, CTSV, Miata, Evo, and Cayman S especially at higher speeds. The brakes are crazy good. So much stopping power! Had the best brakes of any car that I’ve owned. The shifter was sublime........when it was cooperative. Hence my trade. My transmission had 2nd gear grinds, 4th gear grinds, and 4th gear lock out. Every time I drove the car, at least one of the issues would rear its ugly head (29 years of driving stick, not operator error). The week before I traded in the Type R, I merged onto the highway. I hit 2nd and CRUNCH, I left off and immediately went back into neutral. I tried again and the SAME thing happened. The third try was a charm but the bonehead behind me almost rear ended me while I had my kids and wife in the car. So pissed that I started looking on the internet and found my current ride. I would have never traded in the Type R if it weren’t for that one flaw (I tried to address it with fluid change and clutch adjustment). It really was a special car. I’d make sure you test drive one prior to getting it and be sure to pay attention to the 5-4 shift. Good luck!

Galaxythief

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
If you can get it for MSRP, absolutely!!! Problem is... Getting my oil changed and this was in the show room. Pre Covid they sold me my Type-R for 36k.

Honda Civic 10th gen CTR Pros and Cons... Worth the price? 20201205_160552

izzyC-EX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' BBP Type-R/20'MX-5, Recaro, Brembo, Bose/19' GLC63 Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I traded in my CW 2019 Type R for a 2021 Sunset Orange M2 Competition a week ago. I loved my Type R. Best combo of fun, daily drivability, value for dollar, performance, and looks (yes I said looks). The car was able carry my wife and kids (18 and 7 y/o) with ease and swallow large amounts of items in the rear. Acceleration was decent but the handling was incredible for a FWD platform, much more confidence inspiring than my old s2000, CTSV, Miata, Evo, and Cayman S especially at higher speeds. The brakes are crazy good. So much stopping power! Had the best brakes of any car that I’ve owned. The shifter was sublime........when it was cooperative. Hence my trade. My transmission had 2nd gear grinds, 4th gear grinds, and 4th gear lock out. Every time I drove the car, at least one of the issues would rear its ugly head (29 years of driving stick, not operator error). The week before I traded in the Type R, I merged onto the highway. I hit 2nd and CRUNCH, I left off and immediately went back into neutral. I tried again and the SAME thing happened. The third try was a charm but the bonehead behind me almost rear ended me while I had my kids and wife in the car. So pissed that I started looking on the internet and found my current ride. I would have never traded in the Type R if it weren’t for that one flaw (I tried to address it with fluid change and clutch adjustment). It really was a special car. I’d make sure you test drive one prior to getting it and be sure to pay attention to the 5-4 shift. Good luck!
It's really too bad you got a bad tranny, and I hope mine does not develop as such. I don't mean to question your tranny skills specially with 29 years but sometimes you could have shifting habits that could be bad for it. Or your tranny was just a piece of crap and it pisses me off that Honda did not cover it. Looking at your prior cars you pretty much have the same taste as mine. I on the other hand had the M2 and M2C prior to the Type-R and I keep on going back and forth between the two.
Did you get an M2 manual or DCT? If it was a manual how does the feel of the shifting for you. I found the M'2s manual tranny a bit rubbery and the clutch was harder to press than the Type-R so I never considered it. The dual clutch is a sweet one though.

Hwangtkd

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
Yeah, it’s def the tranny. I’ve owned 3 s2000’s and rarely had any grinds (only in my 2001, the 2003 and 2006 never had any issues). Those cars were notorious for grinds. Wife has been driving stick for 20+ years (Miata, 240sx, Civic Si, 300Z) and she doesn’t drive anywhere as aggressively as me. She gets 4th gear lockout all the time and the occasional grind. It was her daily driver. Car had 6k on the odometer when we sold it. The grinds may or may not be attributed to my shifting technique (doubtful to me) but the lock outs at 3/10ths driving definitely smacks of some sort of mechanical issue.
As for the M2, I got the stick shift. I‘ve driven a 2018 M3 with DCT (brother’s car) extensively and it lacked driver involvement. The M2 tranny is no where near the level of the Type R but its Ok. Clutch is heavier as well but not too bad. It‘s just nice not having lockout every time my wife or I drives.
I loved the Type R, just the Tranny has soured me to the Honda experience. Maybe I’ll grab the next Gen Type R that is coming out, hopefully they will make improvements with the tranny.

martindtjr

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Vehicle(s)
TYPE R 19, Sienna XLE15, Xa 06, Camry 92
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The buying experience is probably the worst part about the type R. Be prepared to search the entire country for a good deal. Dealers charging at or below MSRP are in the minority. Buying used is only marginally better as many private sellers will sell above MSRP to recoup their losses from paying tax and ADM.

However, if you manage to get your hands on one without paying a large mark up, then it’s a great car for the dollar.
100 percent agree with you..

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
I think it's also important to keep in mind what the car is when determing if its "worth it". Almost $40K for a "fast" car may not seem worth it when you realize that it's not that impressive as a stoplight to stoplight head snapper. But, if you're looking for something exciting to carve up corners in that is also decently quick from a roll, I don't think there's much else out there that can compete at that price.

I do wish there was a market for some kind of coupe version like the Si had for those of us that don't necessarily need the big hatchback practicality every day. Small performance coupes are really cool imo. Finances aside, it's the only good argument I can see for not wanting to upgrade from another civic trim.

BrokeCTROwner

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 1999 K20 Integra
Country flag

100% get one yes

cons - spins on a 40 roll

pros - gaps gt’s

GTWaggin'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Gray Type R
Country flag
I traded our 2003 Odyssey after 17 years of ownership. While not as roomy as the Odyssey I find the cornering to be a bit better in the Type R. I've also noticed a bit better acceleration in the Type R. The gas mileage is better in the Type R, even running premium. The feel of the Type R is a bit more sporty then the Odyssey. More folks wave, and give the thumbs up than when I was in the Odyssey. I would like a track day, and never really looked forward to a track day with the Odyssey. The new Type R was also less expensive than a new Odyssey. All in all, it's been worth the money to me.

Arch

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Interesting thread. ?

My two pence (guess that's cents for the most of you), and, bearing in mind I've only had the FK8 about 3 weeks, is that it feels the best put together Honda I've owned so far. It's leaps ahead of the FK2 i traded it for, but with that, you lose a bit of that go kartish feel. It feels far more grown up. +R mode in the FK2 was brutal on UK roads however, anyone complaining about the ride comfort needs to check out a stock FD2. ? I had mine OEM for 6 years, the car is so stiff, i swear you could feel it if you drove over a slightly larger grain of sand that normal. That in mind, it was probably the best handling of all my Type-Rs, you could pitch it into a roundabout* and it would grip and grip and grip some more. Nankang NS-2Rs 225/40/18 so much grip. ?

For an absolutely pure raw driving experience, the DC2 has to be up there too. Ran mine for 5 years, on standard 15s, 25mm drop, Mugen intake, OEM exhaust. Daily driver, commuter, amazing car.

I didnt think i'd sell the FK2 for a while, but I'm glad I made the change. Only thing i miss is the oil temp info and maybe, just maybe, the FK2 seats are a bit snugger**. Heated seats would have been brilliant, but i can manage without. Infotainment is what it is really. It's not great, but it's not utter dog dirt either. Android Auto + Spotify + Google Maps/Waze and i'm relatively happy. I have some Focal components somewhere which might find their way into the front doors at some point.

* a road junction at which traffic moves in one direction round a central island to reach one of the roads converging on it. Good for entering at high speed and seeing how much grip your car has as you rotate to the right..
** may have made that word up

Lostr

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic type R
Country flag
I traded our 2003 Odyssey after 17 years of ownership. While not as roomy as the Odyssey I find the cornering to be a bit better in the Type R. I've also noticed a bit better acceleration in the Type R. The gas mileage is better in the Type R, even running premium. The feel of the Type R is a bit more sporty then the Odyssey. More folks wave, and give the thumbs up than when I was in the Odyssey. I would like a track day, and never really looked forward to a track day with the Odyssey. The new Type R was also less expensive than a new Odyssey. All in all, it's been worth the money to me.
bo.. LEGIT made me laugh my ass off...

Lostr

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic type R
Country flag
If you can get it for MSRP, absolutely!!! Problem is... Getting my oil changed and this was in the show room. Pre Covid they sold me my Type-R for 36k.

20201205_160552.jpg
incase you all are still looking I got a used one in near mint condition for 34k for sale on the forum over here in California though :(

they arent selling because they paid ADM and tax etc.. we are selling because when you go to Cargurus and hit 500 mile radius here in cali.. you dont see a single one under 35k... and if you do... it's at a dealership that will get you with 3k in add on BS to the newbie hustler/negotiator/ithinkingican take the salesman guy... and trust me.. I see alot of you out there get "got"... with that being said...

used CTR's atleast mine.. was offered 31500 from carmax / carvana and 31750 from Vroom...

so the market is still there.. ;) numbered car.. and the fact that 2022 wont offer a Hatch... it's now even more special.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Awesome thanks man, what can you tell me about insurance cost? I know it varies of course, but just curious if its crazy high or average. Also, what can you tell me about the comfort, sport, and Type R modes?
Interesting, as the S2K was a dream car for me - before I drove it. The lack of any response until you get to the stratosphere was not fun around town. With minimal storage and two seats max, it also limits its use. Great car? Yes! But the only model that felt right, handling wise, was a CR I test drove. The others had some nasty snap over-steer and generally felt unpredictable when pushed. You know what they say about meeting your heroes? this was one of those cases.

The CTR is worth every dollar, especially when you realize that you get a reliable track monster, a canyon carver, and the storage of a crossover or small SUV without the weight. I was already thrilled with my SI, this was worth the bump, let alone if you are gong from a lower Civic model.
So what was wrong with the SI? Not much. But the much better seats and engine, hatchback storage, and higher limits made it worth it to me. I plan on driving the wheels off of it. Which, since I have the stock 20's won't take long, lol. if I have to buy tires a bit more often, I can live with that.
Is it as raw as my MR2-S was, or my MGB? No. But it is also the best overall car I have owned.
Period.
The gouging is still going on out there. You really have to shop. And forget a test drive.
So your best bet? find a low mile, COP car like I did. You will save a bundle, and you might actually get to drive it first. But the flip side of that is your resale will be great. You won't care since you probably won't want to sell your CTR.
We always want more power and more speed. But the CTR has a gorgeous power band once it gets moving. So passing or merging on a highway are a joy.

I kept the 20's, no issues here in the AZ desert. If you live where the roads suck and there is a lot of winter, you may want to swap for 18's.

The one thing they don't tell you in the reviews, let alone at the dealer? The turning circle of 39.5 feet is large. Affects parking angles, right turns - you will scrape the rear right wheel if you cut it too close or too soon, and U-turns. Heel and toe setup is not perfect. But then if you need it at least there is rev match. Or aftermarket. The engine has no rev hang, unlike the SI or WRX. Manual is a joy. Seats are the best I have seen for spirited driving and comfort. Mileage is definitely down a lot from the SI - I averaged 35 mpg combined on that car.
I am at just under 26 combined on the CTR. I average in the 30's on any long drives.

For a pure weekend toy, I would still take a Boxster with a manual and a six cylinder. Or a Lotus. Maybe. For a daily supercar - this is the one.
Sponsored