OP
OP

Bhartz412

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX
Country flag
It's a great car with some elements of cost cutting built into it. The seats are outstanding as is the chassis. Ignoring the heat issues, the engine is great. I've not experienced gearbox issues, but I babied it for the first 3000kms.

Build quality is average by today's standards. Rattles and buzzes from the dashboard and window tweeter when the engine is under load. The paint is thin and will chip easily, and the windshield will scratch if the smallest thing gets stuck under the wiper. The fact the the interior screams Type R in the front and then transitions to "meh, garden variety Civic" in the back is offputting. The accountants won and left it feeling cheap.

The screen and stereo is absolutely outdated, cheap and nasty rubbish and the sound quality is poor by comparison to cheaper cars on the market.

Pedal placement is poor (brake to accelerator distance) but is ok for everyday driving. I can just barely heel-toe in it, it's not a natural feel at all.

LKAS is terrible - far too many false positives (Aussie ones came with LKAS and ACC from day 1) when a road patch sets it off.

ACC is great as is the speed limiter option. Not as sophisticated as the setup in our 2018 (Asia market) Honda Odyssey, but it does the Job. Actually, all of the driver assist in the Odyssey leaves the CTR for dead.

Out of our 4 Hondas, where do I rate it?

People mover: '18 Odyssey (7 seats including mid-row Captain's Chairs), '20 (MY19) Civic Type R, '99 Integra Type R, '88 CRX (DOHC D16A8 - only 2 seats)
Comfort: Odyssey, Civic (Sport or Comfort mode), CRX, Integra
Handling (Track): Integra, Civic, CRX, Odyssey
Handling (Road): Civic (Sport mode)/Odyssey (my wife can throw it around harder than most other drivers in quicker, smaller cars... and that's in ECO mode. If she drops it into sport mode, the road is hers!), CRX, Integra (snap oversteer in the wet)
Butt Dyno/Speed Feel: CRX (Slowest car that feels the fastest), Integra (Quick car that feels quick), Civic (Fast car that feels deceptively slow), Odyssey (not-slow car that sounds great when the K24 is wound up).
Sound: Integra (stock exhaust but still sounds fantastic when on-song), CRX (modified exhaust - crackles and pops), Civic (ok - tells me what it is doing), Odyssey (awesomely quiet for interstate runs).
Power to weight: Crx - 130bhp D16A8 (stock)/800kg, Odyssey, Odyssey 178bhp K24/1854kg, Integra 193bhp (Stock) B18C7/1100kg, Civic 300bhp/1400kg
Fun to drive: CRX, Integra, Civic, Odyssey
Track Overall winner: CTR, ITR, CRX, (I'd put the Odyssey ahead of the CRX if my wife was driving it).
Best interior: Odyssey (except I despise the lack of non-tactile buttons and a reliance on Honda's shit screen), Civic (except for the shit screen and reliance on said shit screen to control the heat/cold), Integra (but it has all you need), CRX (see Integra)
Build Quality: Odyssey (Japan build), Integra (Japan build), Civic (UK Build), CRX (1980s Japan build).

Best driver's car: Integra Type R.
I know the CTR does it all better. I know it's faster. I know it's safer. It does all of this, but in the end, it's a digital car. The Civic does it all for you and displays it on the dash. The Integra is just an extension of the body as everything is transmitted to the driver through steering wheel, pedals, drivetrain and chassis.

Best all-rounder: Civic Type R

The Civic is a great car to drive and enjoy. Do I feel as connected to it as my Integra or CRX? No. But it has a great balance and is great, quick car.

Notes:
Integra is stock other than Tein suspension, JDM 16 inch ITR wheels and Mugen sump, with 70,000kms on it.
Civic is stock (4500kms)
CRX is stock except for coilovers, cat-back exhaust and Mugen wheels (199,000kms)
Odyssey is stock with 60,000kms.
Wow thanks for the in-depth analysis, these are the things like the brake/accelerator pedal distance that experts wont touch on, I love knowing the little things that could be problematic. I am definitely experiencing the paint and windshield chip in the LX so I guess I should count on more of the same
Sponsored

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
Damn, I miss those good Inegras. Never had a Type R, but had the GS-R, 1999 model. That thing was so much fun. Beautiful balance, very analog.

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1996 ITR, 1992 SI
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is suprising. Was the S2K your daily? Then it makes sense lol but feel that is one of the few ultimate weekend cars. Have yet to meet an owner who disliked theirs.
No my s2k was my summer toy same as the CTR.

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
Damn, I miss those good Inegras. Never had a Type R, but had the GS-R, 1999 model. That thing was so much fun. Beautiful balance, very analog.
I always thought integras looked so cool when I was a kid but never knew much about them. It seems the ITR is held at a higher esteem than even the S2K. Any reason for that beyond rarity? The S2K seems like a really special car to me, especailly with the RWD setup.

No my s2k was my summer toy same as the CTR.
Very cool. Think you'll miss it? I love the CTR but can only imagine that it comes nowhere near the S2K in analog feel. The CTR is about as modern and "numb" as I think I can go for the foreseeable future.....not that its not amazing, but like every modern car it does lack some of that raw character I miss. RWD vtec in the S2K sounds like an amazing combo too.

circuit.heart

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sport (Si converted), '94 525i x2
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I always thought integras looked so cool when I was a kid but never knew much about them. It seems the ITR is held at a higher esteem than even the S2K. Any reason for that beyond rarity? The S2K seems like a really special car to me, especially with the RWD setup.
S2000 is an amazing looking car - it's just not a good car. Outside of three uses: 1) hardcore professional motorsports, 2) casual fun in the sun, or 3) posers who want to look hard, S2000's are not particularly quick, reliable, comfortable, or practical. An ITR is way more special for its ability to do all of those things.

I love the CTR but can only imagine that it comes nowhere near the S2K in analog feel. The CTR is about as modern and "numb" as I think I can go for the foreseeable future.....not that its not amazing, but like every modern car it does lack some of that raw character I miss. RWD vtec in the S2K sounds like an amazing combo too.
S2K throttle response is amazing, that's about it. The steering is about as numb as the R, it's just heavier. I was a dissatisfied owner before trading it for the Civic.

MeetThePete

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R, 2005 S2000, 1985 Corolla GTS
Country flag
Happy S2000 owner here. No one buys an S2000 or any 2-seater because it’s practical. However, they’re actually very reliable cars that can go for 200K+ miles with basic maintenance. Reliability issues come from the many years of neglect and questionable mods as they get handed down from multiple owners. It’s about as raw as you can get for a sports car in the 21st century. Personally, I would not have gotten a CTR if it meant I had to give up the S2k. But everyone’s circumstances and needs are different. I could go on but then that would derail from the original post.

Having said that, comparing the S2k with the CTR is like comparing apples to oranges. One is a RWD sports car designed from the ground up. The other is a souped up FWD econobox. The CTR is amazing and probably going to be the best you can get for feeling connected in a new car from the modern era. I don’t think OP would have any regrets upgrading to a Type R. The hardest part will be finding one at a reasonable price.

Salespunk

First Name
MO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R, Ram 2500, 328 Wagon
Country flag
CTR is about as much fun as you can have in a new street car today. Motor is plenty strong in just about every situation and will spin the tires through second gear easily. The only place it feels a little down on power is at speeds 80+. The shifter is sublime and a thing of beauty. Seats are fantastic, steering feel is better than most modern performance cars. Plenty of rear seat space is an added bonus. Handling is excellent and even though it is FWD it can still be rotated easily with the throttle.

To put it into context I sold my M5 and still have my CTR. For cruising around town, canyon runs, etc. the CTR wins hands down. The M5 is scary fast and handles really well, but is totally sterile in comparison. Only advantages the M5 had were sound since I had the MPE titanium exhaust and a few luxury items.

OP
OP

Bhartz412

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX
Country flag
CTR is about as much fun as you can have in a new street car today. Motor is plenty strong in just about every situation and will spin the tires through second gear easily. The only place it feels a little down on power is at speeds 80+. The shifter is sublime and a thing of beauty. Seats are fantastic, steering feel is better than most modern performance cars. Plenty of rear seat space is an added bonus. Handling is excellent and even though it is FWD it can still be rotated easily with the throttle.

To put it into context I sold my M5 and still have my CTR. For cruising around town, canyon runs, etc. the CTR wins hands down. The M5 is scary fast and handles really well, but is totally sterile in comparison. Only advantages the M5 had were sound since I had the MPE titanium exhaust and a few luxury items.
Awesome thanks man, what can you tell me about insurance cost? I know it varies of course, but just curious if its crazy high or average. Also, what can you tell me about the comfort, sport, and Type R modes?

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1996 ITR, 1992 SI
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I always thought integras looked so cool when I was a kid but never knew much about them. It seems the ITR is held at a higher esteem than even the S2K. Any reason for that beyond rarity? The S2K seems like a really special car to me, especailly with the RWD setup.

Very cool. Think you'll miss it? I love the CTR but can only imagine that it comes nowhere near the S2K in analog feel. The CTR is about as modern and "numb" as I think I can go for the foreseeable future.....not that its not amazing, but like every modern car it does lack some of that raw character I miss. RWD vtec in the S2K sounds like an amazing combo too.
Only thing I miss about it is the convertible aspect. The car was very uncomfortable for me to drive, but that is only because I have back issues. My husband enjoyed driving it a lot, he drove it more the me. However the handing on the s2k was great and it is a drivers car.

I still have a couple older Honda's to keep the raw feeling alive. I know what you mean with the modern cars they defiantly lack that feeling. The CTR will never come close to that feeling you get from a older Honda IMO.

m_kluch

First Name
Maryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
The CTR doesn't have a CD player, sunroof and the traction control is too intrusive. Other than that its fantastic.

TypeRHelvetia

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
CTR is by far my favourite car from everything I've owned incl. A 650bhp GT500 some time ago.

Pros: fast as hell. Most people don’t think it’s as fast as it is because it’s not like a Golf R which is blistering off the line. Once you’re in 2nd gear the CTR is just potent.

It is very light feeling and handling is as good as it gets.

Fuel economy is OK for power on tap.

Relatively cheap to own and run.

Looks awesome and most people want one even though they won’t admit it.

Cons:

20inch stock wheels are just too sensitive, tyres too expensive although handling is sublime with them on. I now have 18inch rims and am super happy.

Sadly they wont make cars like this forever. It’s as fun as it gets.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Pros:
  1. Ridiculous handling. I mean the car handles like it's on rails.
  2. Very very potent engine. You have to rev it out but as long as you have traction, the thing just wants to pull all day long.
  3. Wild looks. Can also be a con, depending on who you are.
  4. Good fuel economy. I averaged roughly 27 MPG with mixed driving.
  5. Great manual transmission, easy to learn for beginners even.
  6. Navigation and Apple CarPlay/Android Auto available.
  7. Ride quality is fairly comfortable even with the stock tires and wheels.
Cons:
  1. Paint quality. It's horrendous. Expect to find a lot of chips as the paint is extremely weak.
  2. Interior NVH. There are a LOT of rattles and vibrations, since Honda removed pretty much all of the NVH dampening material in the Type R.
  3. Fuel tank size. Even with good fuel economy, you will not be getting much more than 300 miles of range on a single tank.
  4. No heated seats, no sunroof.
  5. Prior to 2020, no Honda Sensing in the US market (could also be a pro I guess depending on who you are)
  6. Not enough traction down low due to FWD.
  7. Dealer shenanigans with finding one for MSRP.

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
IMHO, R is worth it. You should know the R is the same basic formula as your Si but with the R changes so you should kind of know what that's like. Not sure what you have done to your Si but just imagine a boost in power and handling and the interior differences. The only consensus con would be the overheating at the track and the price. A used one is almost the price of MSRP(or the initial MSRP back in '17), that is if you can get one at MSRP. TBH, I wouldn't worry about the overheating unless you're pretty fast and is a track rat. It's a concern for people constantly tracking the car. Even then, there's plenty of threads on here w/ helpful tips to tackle this issue. I've noticed people seem to get worked up over this when they don't even track the car.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I traded my '17 Si for an '18 CTR this past April. Yeah it was worth it. And I loved the SI.

CTR Pros:
Some of the best seats that come in a car, for any money.
Jewel of an engine, with a higher redline.
Brakes that stop you fast, but are not grabby.
Grip for weeks.
Great shifter, clutch, and I even like the rev match. Yeah, I admitted it.
Love the styling, inside and out. You know you're driving something special.
Storage that proves you don't need a crossover, or SUV.
Low insurance rates.
Low volume, and that numbered plate doesn't hurt.

CTR Cons:
Number one is the large turning circle. Like 39.5 feet. So this won't affect driving so much as parking or backing out from tight spaces. Ground clearance is not high, so don't be pulling in forward too far if there is a medium to high curb. And when turning right, pull out a tad further than you think you have to before cutting the wheel. or you will curb it.

Number two is the drop in mileage, combined with a tank that could stand to be a few gallons larger. The Si had a 400 mile range, the CTR realistically just over 300.

Number three is the lack of a volume knob on my 2018. Kidding, I could give a flying you-know-what. That's what the control on the steering wheel is for. The real number three con is the cost of tires and wheels. Which is why I bought a separate tire/wheel warranty. Using it soon.

Numbers four and five: No heated seats - but the Alcantara feels good in any weather, so no biggie. In AZ cooled seats would be more useful. No sunroof like the Si had, but that saves weight, adds more rigidity. Best solution would have been to put in a clear metal or glass that can instantly polarize.

Tire/ wheel opinion: Stick with the stock setup for the least torque steer, and to enjoy what Honda engineers had in mind, and used successfully to set all those lap records. Sure, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires on an 18" setup will possibly ride better, and certainly last longer. Great tires, I put them on my Si for an upgrade. But 18's won't look right, and more importantly, the CTR will not turn in as quickly, and perform as nimbly as it should. You buy a CTR among other things for at the limit handling. Don't screw it up. If you must have 18's, then buy an SI and be happy.
Sponsored

Last edited: