CTR Owners - Please answer honestly

Have you experienced any of the following?

• Total voters

-JP-

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 CTR, '06 RSX-S, '10 MDX, '01 Sequoia
Country flag
Hi JP, Can I ask where you got your ceramic done assuming in SF bay area?
Who do you recommend?
Hey! I detail as a hobby and did the work myself. It's worth the trouble even though the CTR front and rear is a pain in the @$$. You will be glad you did it. Highly recommend doing PPF right away. It's my only regret not doing.
Good luck!
Sponsored

m@TR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R [CW]
Country flag
Constantly getting locked out of 4th gear in the cold, it's causing me to grind the gear and is pissing me off.

It's like Russian roulette, so freaking annoying.
I’ve had 4th gear lockout problems even with the transmission perfectly warmed up cruising at highway speeds. I noticed it’s worse when low RPMs in 5th and trying to shift to 4th while letting the auto rev match do the work. If I blip the throttle just ahead of the 5-4 downshift, it’s less likely to occur. I plan to have the OEM fluid changed under warranty soon and hopefully that helps. 19 with 3800 miles. I experienced it as soon as 1500. Seems to be less of a problem the more that it’s driven?

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I’ve had 4th gear lockout problems even with the transmission perfectly warmed up cruising at highway speeds. I noticed it’s worse when low RPMs in 5th and trying to shift to 4th while letting the auto rev match do the work. If I blip the throttle just ahead of the 5-4 downshift, it’s less likely to occur. I plan to have the OEM fluid changed under warranty soon and hopefully that helps. 19 with 3800 miles. I experienced it as soon as 1500. Seems to be less of a problem the more that it’s driven?
I manually do my rev matching for every gear and it still doesn't help. I just gave up and take it careful on 4th, I just check now if it'll let me go into 4th before releasing the clutch pedal.

Ctrnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai veracruz, 2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
they would have an exceptionally hard time winning that arguement especially since the syncromesh offer more protection then the stock fluid

chi town brat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90 CRX Si. 91 STD Hatch. 17 CTR. 18 CTR.
Country flag
37,7xx miles and Knight is still running strong.

m@TR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R [CW]
Country flag
I manually do my rev matching for every gear and it still doesn't help. I just gave up and take it careful on 4th, I just check now if it'll let me go into 4th before releasing the clutch pedal.
Yeah I hear you on being careful. I’ve had a few close missed shifts/calls while trying to pass and 4th not catching immediately when downshifting. Thankfully I’m weary and won’t disengage the clutch until I know for sure I can feel the synchros align and the shifter engage. Just sucks because you have to keep in in the back of your mind in and around 4th gear.

HiSpdTouring

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR #9202
Country flag
Tyler, I am having second gear grinds at higher RPMs so I figured I would try Amsoil synchromesh and took it to my local Honda dealership to do it for me. They told me I would void my engine warranty if I used Amsoil. Have you heard of this? Thanks, Alan
It depends on the dealer if they would honor the warranty or not. My dealer didn't mind the different oil but chose to just have it replaced with factory Honda oil. I did this just case if I was going to through a tranny replacement, this will show Honda corporate that I was following the process. I was having the 1-2 high rpm shift and 3-2 downshift every so often. After the tranny oil was changed with just factory oil my grinding has stopped. I immediately noticed that the fluid was thicker and it takes more effort to shift than before. I read somewhere that the oil from the factory was either too thin and or not fill up correctly! If any CTR owners are experiencing griding issues give this a try first. I've read people change their trannys and the problem doesn't go away or even gets worse. This could be an easy fix and can eliminate a lot of headaches. I can really enjoy my car now and couldn't be happier.
Sponsored