CTR Owners In Snowing Areas

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Get real tires! No use to buy something that gives you the worst of both worlds. All season is useless for summer on a car with so much power, and they are also useless if winter hits you hard.
Greetings from Norway, we have currently -13 degrees (8 f).

I have real winter tires, but they are high-speed winter tires that should manage the CTR top speed. This means the rubber is a bit harder than usual winter tires. I'm not satisfied and I will swap them out with some real winter tires, but they have usually a limit on 110 mph.
No Nokians for you? I have them on my 2015 S3 and love them. Also had them on other cars before. Those Finish guys sure know how to make good winter tires!
Sponsored

jgreen16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX Hatch, 1990 Chevrolet C1500
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Those Finish guys sure know how to make good winter tires!
That would be Finnish, and the country has produced three F1 World Champions in Keke Rosberg, Mika Hakkinen and Kimi Raikkonen. Keke's son, Nico, was also an F1 World Champion in 2016, but he claims German citizenship. Being able to drive fast in inclement weather certainly helped hone their skills I'd say.

Definitely good tires though! :thumbsup:

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
I’m getting some all seasons installed now before my OEM tires crack.

If you can you can recall where you read about the “popping” or “clunking” sound can you link me to the original info. If it’s not something that is normal I might have to get a dealer to look at it.

This thread talked about it.
https://www.civicx.com/threads/slig...-noise-when-turning-slowly.30830/#post-516846

I also did some independent Google searching and found similar answers.

Wabby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Cr-z
Country flag
I will switch to nokian later, but my tired did a good job this year to. Didn't expect it thou.
Up in the mountains for new year

Honda Civic 10th gen CTR Owners In Snowing Areas 20181230_121835
Honda Civic 10th gen CTR Owners In Snowing Areas 20181230_121912

JW0914

Banned
Banned
First Name
JW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 Orion Nebula
Country flag
For anyone owning a Type R in Area that can get below freezing, I got a couple of question:

1. Assuming the car is riding on stock tires what kind of behavior do you get diving when the temperature gets below 40 degrees? I drove my car for the first time at freezing temperature today and I noticed when I initially drive of, I get a one or two "clunking" sound when I made my first turn out of the parking space that sound a lot like the a wheel hop. And that's the only time I heard it.
This is because the stock tires [Continental SportContact 6's] are summer tires, and since they're only intended to be driven at temperatures >40F, the rubber compounds in the tire are not designed to be utilized when it's <40F. Continental even has a warranty warning on this tire's webpage, as tire temperatures <40F can cause irreversible stress fractures in the tire, voiding the tires warranty:
  • "Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced."
The tires will hop when they're <40F due to the inflexibility of the rubber compounds at those temperatures, which is more noticeable when turning. Again, these are summer tires and, as such, the tire's compounds are designed for use at temperatures >40F.

2. How long should I warm up the car?
24hrs @ 40F for the tires, which is impractical, and due to this requirement, if one wants to avoid stress fractures in the rubber, it's recommended to buy winter tires (not All-Season).
  • If residing in climates that get snow/slush or icing of the roads, winter tires should always be utilized over All-Season tires, as Winter tires have extremely soft tread at temperatures <32F (for example, soft enough you can push your finger into the tread).
  • One of the best winter tires for cars ares Blizzak WS80's, and since the tires will last ~4 years if only used in the winter, it equates to ~$175/yr if not buying new rims, or ~$325/yr if buying 18" winter rims [245/40R18 will result in near perfect speedometer accuracy to stock wheels]

Last edited:

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Titan 7 forged T-R10 wheels in 18x9.5+45ET size and Michelin X-Ice 245/40/18 winter tires.

Honda Civic 10th gen CTR Owners In Snowing Areas 28F8CE0E-2F26-429E-ABB7-C4B67EF12B5B

Honda Civic 10th gen CTR Owners In Snowing Areas 504C28CC-6942-42C3-9111-C477BD34B14D

Honda Civic 10th gen CTR Owners In Snowing Areas E05D83F3-F45F-468C-806E-609B674D9F42

Honda Civic 10th gen CTR Owners In Snowing Areas 38ACE0D9-9B8F-46E7-BA59-F38088659EF6

Honda Civic 10th gen CTR Owners In Snowing Areas 41082193-FCEA-4C16-B214-56733494B126

zsak

First Name
Tej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Turbo S2000, 2014 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee , 1998 Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
Well snow won the battle today. Backing out of my drive way I got high centered because I didn’t realize the plow trucks came through and built a small wall at the entrance. After a bit of back and forth motions I was able to pull out. Boy I need to find a tow hook somewhere just in case I need to pull it out.

TonyD

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rallye Red Type R
Country flag
Mostly good info here. It seems odd that even if you don't get snow or ice, the tires do feel weird and lose traction near 40 degrees. I live in MA and I saw a guy in a CTR in my town driving on the stockers last week. I wanted to try and stop him to see if he knew what he was doing and maybe driving to the tire store! It was 20 degrees out!

As for warming up, I think that practice has gone the way of the dodo. As long as the car hasn't been sitting for months its not like the oil is all drained out and the top end is dry. Modern oils don't do that. I have a garage so my car never gets totally frozen. But either way I normally fire it up and then acknowledge the foolish warning and fiddle with the radio, set the heater etc which takes half a minute. Then I have a lazy 2 mile drive to get to the highway that takes me to work. By then she is ready for a hammer down off ramp blast!

Kevin S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 hype R
Country flag
Any chance you're the White CTR that only park on S Colorado Blvd on the weekends?
Nope that is not me but i've also seen this car. He/She must work in that area as i've seen it recently about 1-2 a month in that area - always parked on colorado and florida - ish...i believe

Kevin S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 hype R
Country flag
Mostly good info here. It seems odd that even if you don't get snow or ice, the tires do feel weird and lose traction near 40 degrees. I live in MA and I saw a guy in a CTR in my town driving on the stockers last week. I wanted to try and stop him to see if he knew what he was doing and maybe driving to the tire store! It was 20 degrees out!

As for warming up, I think that practice has gone the way of the dodo. As long as the car hasn't been sitting for months its not like the oil is all drained out and the top end is dry. Modern oils don't do that. I have a garage so my car never gets totally frozen. But either way I normally fire it up and then acknowledge the foolish warning and fiddle with the radio, set the heater etc which takes half a minute. Then I have a lazy 2 mile drive to get to the highway that takes me to work. By then she is ready for a hammer down off ramp blast!
It's honestly not a smart thing to drive this car with stock tires in freezing temps. I just do it because i refuse to buy snow tires since i have a dedicated snow rig and rarely drive it in cold weather. Morning commute with freezing temps i just take it really really easy. If it's snow or ice on the ground - type r stays in the heated garage.

TonyD

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rallye Red Type R
Country flag
It's honestly not a smart thing to drive this car with stock tires in freezing temps. I just do it because i refuse to buy snow tires since i have a dedicated snow rig and rarely drive it in cold weather. Morning commute with freezing temps i just take it really really easy. If it's snow or ice on the ground - type r stays in the heated garage.
Denver?! Definitely be careful.

When I had my Subaru STI that thing was like a billygoat in snow on winter tires. BUT we used to say that if you drive the STI in snow on summer tires, if you are REALLY careful and take it VERY slowly then..... you might be able to salvage some of it from the ditch.

OP
OP

dn7309

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport
Country flag
Nope that is not me but i've also seen this car. He/She must work in that area as i've seen it recently about 1-2 a month in that area - always parked on colorado and florida - ish...i believe
Yep, Colorado and Florida only on weekends.