CTR Overheating?

voiddweller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 CTR (Sold), '04 TSX MT, '19 Camaro ZL1 1LE MT
Country flag
Day by day there are more owners with heating problems. Was there any recall or fix in the later models?
I haven't heard of any changes with later models. If running the heater isn't an option, the cheap and easy things to try for HPDE's are Water Wetter and, if that's not cooling enough, the Chinese honeycomb grill. The turbo blanket may be an easy option. This is on a stock FK8. If you start adding power, several sponsors have additional solutions.
Sponsored

Last edited:

doctorbee

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
The CTR engine is a beauty. Somehow, Honda managed to squeeze a catalytic converter next to a turbo underneath the engine bay. These things heat up the air which then travels back towards the engine.

1. a cat delete may help with the overheating as a catalytic converter is where unburnt HCs get burnt off, producing heat.
2. The CTR may also benefit from bigger fans and radiator.

Maximum6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000 2005, Type R 2019
Country flag
I thought I read in another thread that even cars with no grille still over heated

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was at One Lap, and we had 14 track events(Haven't done my write up yet). My oil on day 1(Temp was at 92F) got over 260 at Autobahn CC. Tires were up there also. I was running Michelin PS4S's.
I have a high flow grill with the emblem removed, Turbo blanket, wrapped DP, reflective tape on any oil or coolant line around the turbo, on the little recessed area on the oil pan near the front pipe flex area, coolant additive, Amsoil SS. If you are tuned, and rowing through the gears at high RPM's, it gets up there in temp. I think on MSR, the 1.3 and the 3.1 tracks, it got to around 260 a few times, but the other tracks only got up to around 240. While 240 was higher than I would like, the alarm I set at 260 didn't go off at least. Most of the temperatures were around the same, but not sure of the humidity. I didn't run the heater in the car though. I never thought of it. NOLA was a high speed track, so I didn't shift too much and temps hovered around 225.
EDIT: while I was not driving as fast as a lot of others, I wanted to drive my car home. A few hit the wall, I think 2 hit the wall at Gateway, and 1 at Autobahn, and I think 2 hit something at Hallett and one at MSR 3.1. I didn't want to overdrive any of them...

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is with the USR oil cooler?
Yes, but they do drop pretty fast. There aren't going to be many things you can do if you are moderately-high tuned and laying on full throttle 95% of the time. I would say it dropped from 260 to about 230 in about 30 seconds to a minute depending on temperature/humidity/rpms/speed/altitude/mods/mounting location... etc(YMMV naturally) By time I get back to paddock(depends on how long the cool down lap is)it is around 205-210.
Normal driving on the roads(70-90mph) it is averaging about at 185-190 in 90 degree weather(unsure on humidity), occasionally creeps to 200 when I stop at lights. I can't imagine on what the temps would have been if I didn't change the things I did.
Same timeframes, IAT was around 130-145F, IAT2 temps were around 100-115. I can get more exact temps for ECT(2) and IAT(2) when I pull the logs off of my laptop at work. But, it doesn't record the oil temps, that is aftermarket. I should say, it might record them, I just haven't messed with it that much. I want to know what it is right now...
You can definitely tell that the intercooler and oil cooler are doing their job. USR uses a Setrab core, which is a high quality core. JLORacing might have more data, as he extensively uses it. But I will post the temps from the logs, after I get home from my Dr appt tomorrow. I can get my speeds and RPM's from the logs for my cool down laps also.

averagetrackdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 S2000
Country flag
Yes, but they do drop pretty fast. There aren't going to be many things you can do if you are moderately-high tuned and laying on full throttle 95% of the time. I would say it dropped from 260 to about 230 in about 30 seconds to a minute depending on temperature/humidity/rpms/speed/altitude/mods/mounting location... etc(YMMV naturally) By time I get back to paddock(depends on how long the cool down lap is)it is around 205-210.
Normal driving on the roads(70-90mph) it is averaging about at 185-190 in 90 degree weather(unsure on humidity), occasionally creeps to 200 when I stop at lights. I can't imagine on what the temps would have been if I didn't change the things I did.
Same timeframes, IAT was around 130-145F, IAT2 temps were around 100-115. I can get more exact temps for ECT(2) and IAT(2) when I pull the logs off of my laptop at work. But, it doesn't record the oil temps, that is aftermarket. I should say, it might record them, I just haven't messed with it that much. I want to know what it is right now...
You can definitely tell that the intercooler and oil cooler are doing their job. USR uses a Setrab core, which is a high quality core. JLORacing might have more data, as he extensively uses it. But I will post the temps from the logs, after I get home from my Dr appt tomorrow. I can get my speeds and RPM's from the logs for my cool down laps also.
Could you talk about your opinion of the turbo blanket? I can see how it helps keep the temps down for the surrounding components (especially for the intake and intercooler), but I'm concerned about how the heat retention will affect the turbo. I currently track an S2000 and have no track experience with turbocharged cars. I'm in the process of trying to buy a CTR for my next track car. Thanks.

lawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ABM type r
Country flag
Could you talk about your opinion of the turbo blanket? I can see how it helps keep the temps down for the surrounding components (especially for the intake and intercooler), but I'm concerned about how the heat retention will affect the turbo. I currently track an S2000 and have no track experience with turbocharged cars. I'm in the process of trying to buy a CTR for my next track car. Thanks.
Are you in a hot place? Honestly the CTR might/should/probably be faster but the s2k will be a better track car. Temps, consumables, etc etc.

Add on top of this, if you want to adequately cool the CTR with current "bandaids" your warranty will be shot. I call them bandaids and not solutions, because so far nobody has completely solved the problem. I think eventually someone will come up with a solution, but so far I would not recommend my friends to get this car with only tracking in mind.

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is at NOLA, in New Orleans. Ambient was ~91-92F.
As you can see, it got a little toasty. I lined up each of the high temps, so you can see where each one was.
ECT - 225F
ECT2 - 214F
IAT - 142F
IAT2 - 122F
This was 1 warm up lap, 3 hot laps, 1 cool down lap
I put in the X/Y graph for the Boost vs IAT. I was mostly in the 25PSI with temps were around 122F
Honda Civic 10th gen CTR Overheating? IAT2 Temps.PNG Honda Civic 10th gen CTR Overheating? IAT Temps.PNG Honda Civic 10th gen CTR Overheating? ECT Temps.PNG Honda Civic 10th gen CTR Overheating? Boost vs IAT.PNG

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The turbo blanket is worth its weight by far. You can actually touch the hood prop with your hand, and not get roasted.
The turbo has oil and water tubes to keep it cooler. It isn't like the days of old where the oil sits in the oil housing and cooks the bearings/journals.

Last edited:

averagetrackdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 S2000
Country flag
The turbo blanket is worth its weight by far. You can actually touch the hood prop with your hand, and not get roasted.
The turbo has oil and water tubes to keep it cooler. It isn't like the days of old where the oil sits in the oil housing and cooks the bearings/journals.
Thanks! I'll order one. I also appreciate the boost vs. IAT graphs. Very helpful.

averagetrackdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 S2000
Country flag
Are you in a hot place? Honestly the CTR might/should/probably be faster but the s2k will be a better track car. Temps, consumables, etc etc.

Add on top of this, if you want to adequately cool the CTR with current "bandaids" your warranty will be shot. I call them bandaids and not solutions, because so far nobody has completely solved the problem. I think eventually someone will come up with a solution, but so far I would not recommend my friends to get this car with only tracking in mind.
Good points. I'm in VA with high temps with humidity during the summer months. I agree that the S2000 is a better track car, especially in terms of consumables. I really like my S2000, and I would like to keep it as long as possible. My thinking is to just drive it as my long drive/canyon carver going forward. I hear you about the cooking issues with the CTR.

averagetrackdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 S2000
Country flag

O Haiii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
acura
Country flag
i cant wait until the peak of summer rolls around and guys are tracking their cars in 100+ degree heat that'll really test the cooling solutions.

Maximum6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000 2005, Type R 2019
Country flag
Is there a grille that doesn’t look ugly like the Chinese grille produced yet?
Sponsored