First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E30 '86, Porsche Boxster GTS '16 and Civic Type R '17
Vehicle Showcase
Regards,
New member from Puerto Rico here. Yesterday was my first race day in the Civic Type R, coming from a Porsche GTS competing in "Solo Class" and circuit racing on ST class on a E30 S50 swap, I can tell you that the CTR is a tremendous car! Actually I was surprised the way it handles and brakes!

Today we were racing hard two CTRs and in both, the temperature reached the maximum after 6 laps in a track of 1.8 miles. After running for half a lap at medium speed, the temperature returns to normal.

The temperature was at 90F+ and humidity at 80%+ (Normal in Puerto Rico)

In addition, at the end of the day the right front tire of the two CTRs end up in a very bad condition.
Honda Civic 10th gen CTR Overheating? 20170625_152220 (1)

Anyone else with this problems?

Honda Civic 10th gen CTR Overheating? Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 7.30.26 PM

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
What is maximum temperature you saw in C or F? What tire pressures were you running? I hope the CTR is designed to handle 25 minute track sessions in 100+ ambient.

OP
OP

CarlitosPR

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The temp digital gauge is on the left and it doesn't have numbers but it hit 3 lines below max when the normal is just below the middle like on the picture.

Honda Civic 10th gen CTR Overheating? 2017_Honda_Civic_103289

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
The temp digital gauge is on the left and it doesn't have numbers but it hit 3 lines below max when the normal is just below the middle like on the picture.

2017_Honda_Civic_103289.jpg
Are you referring to the water temp? Does it have an oil temp gauge?

Also, as you may already know, the stock tires aren't meant for track days for someone with some level of track experience. They're good for daily driving in the summer and beginner day drivers.

The front tires need some desperate camber, just like every production street car.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R #00969 BLK, 2015 Nissan 370Z Roadster (BLK), 2019 Civic Si Modern Steel Metalic
Country flag
You say, "At the end of the day..." So exactly how long was your track day? You mention 6 laps then cool for 1/2 lap, ...then what? How many laps in the end? Both cars experienced the exact same symptoms and tire resultant? How many total miles on each car prior to the track?

OP
OP

CarlitosPR

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You say, "At the end of the day..." So exactly how long was your track day? You mention 6 laps then cool for 1/2 lap, ...then what? How many laps in the end? Both cars experienced the exact same symptoms and tire resultant? How many total miles on each car prior to the track?
We arrive at 9am at the track for inspection and paper work. We start racing at about 11am so about two hours cool down.

4 15 minutes sessions in total. After a cooldown 1/2 lap the temp goes down to normal and we continue racing. After each session we wait for about half an hour.

On all 4 sessions we see the same result.

OP
OP

CarlitosPR

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Are you referring to the water temp? Does it have an oil temp gauge?

Also, as you may already know, the stock tires aren't meant for track days for someone with some level of track experience. They're good for daily driving in the summer and beginner day drivers.

The front tires need some desperate camber, just like every production street car.
Yes water temp, don't know if we have a oil gauge.

Last edited:

vader2k

Darkside rider & Senior member
First Name
Alonzo-Ignacio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R. #433 (EPB). 07 Civic LX (TW)
Country flag
Quick question: are the CTRs broken-in? How manys miles on each??

It doesn't make sense pushing a new car without the proper break-in period & mileage. I wouldn't bet against potential issues arising from race activity on a new car. Anyway, I would inquire directly with the dealership regarding your potential issue. Good luck.

Maximum6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000 2005, Type R 2019
Country flag
80% humidity is prettt crazy.

Were there any focus rss experiencing issues out there i your country at the race track

CTR1633FK2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R Fk2 + Civic Type R Fk8
Country flag
Those tires overheat quickly, that is also my experience with the FK2 tires. You should get some better track tires like Trofeo R or Mich Cup2. Too bad you don't have oil temp gauge. The oil temp can reach 125 deg Celcius in the FK2 on the track. Water temp should be stable, though.

CTR1633FK2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R Fk2 + Civic Type R Fk8
Country flag
It would be useful to install an OBD2 dongle and read out the accurate water temp with an Android app called Torque. Strange that the display does not show the water temp in F or C.

OP
OP

CarlitosPR

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
80% humidity is prettt crazy.

Were there any focus rss experiencing issues out there i your country at the race track
Yup, the differential on a friend RS overheat on the same race track.