Brandondan1

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 91 Civic Si
Country flag
correct but I'm assuming extra heat is generated because front tires are doing all the work. Accelerating, most of braking, and turning, plus the weight of the front engine setup, hence the fronts are getting heat up too much to handle.

At least with RWD or AWD, work is spread. Rear tires do the accelerating and front tires do the turning and braking. so heat is spread, meaning fronts won't get as much heat.

How do the rear tires look?

I don't have any experience with FWD on track. so I'm curious.
Yes, FWD will wear out it's front tires more quickly than the rears, but the shoulder wear he's showing is mostly a product of limited negative front camber. I see that type of wear on Macpherson strut cars regardless of drivetrain(even RWD with 0 camber can show this). But yes, weight distribution, tire pressure and driving style play a part as well.

Even AWD hatches have a front biased weight distribution, and function as FWD the majority of the time, with the ability to transfer some power to the rear as needed. Even in those situations, you still have approx 40% power going to the front wheels.

For instance, Focus RS has no front camber adjustment and can suffer from tire wear like this: http://www.focusrs.org/forum/18-focus-rs-wheels-tires/69665-questions-about-tire-wear-track-use.html
Sponsored

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Country flag
...We dyno our cars at 300WHP Dynojet and 245WHP Mustang.
That is a crazy difference, just shows how useless comparisons across dynos really are. So much for the claims of Honda "underreporting" the CTR's power. (The performance numbers to date don't support that theory either.)
MAF was around 12 so thats not good and can cause the heating problem.
I'm no dyno expert, but don't you mean the air to fuel ratio here? Not sure what a "MAF" metric refers to.

m3cosmos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE
Country flag
If track heavily, I'd stick with cars made for it such as Porsche GT3/GT4, Z/28, GT350R

Most non track cars the brakes and cooling are done after a few laps especially at your temps and humidity.

keiththesneak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' SI
granted there isn't a single car in the price range you can track with out upgrades even the R. Neither car has adjustable front camber and it seems that R's front tires are shot after few laps, so much for lower weight advantage.
`
Weight is not to blame here, just looks like these arent the best tires for the track.

OP
OP

CarlitosPR

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E30 '86, Porsche Boxster GTS '16 and Civic Type R '17
Vehicle Showcase
That is a crazy difference, just shows how useless comparisons across dynos really are. So much for the claims of Honda "underreporting" the CTR's power. (The performance numbers to date don't support that theory either.)I'm no dyno expert, but don't you mean the air to fuel ratio here? Not sure what a "MAF" metric refers to.
Yup "air to fuel"

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NC2 MX5 (Miata)
Country flag
`
Weight is not to blame here, just looks like these arent the best tires for the track.
I've ran falken azenis tires on the track with no issues, this was more than 10 years ago though. I'm sure these stock tires are better. Either way you're asking a 3000lb car to handle 300lbs of torque while turning and braking. Cup2's won't be any better if you seen how they degrade after few laps. They're what? 600 a piece? I mean if you really enjoy going to the track and have the disposable income cup2's make sense but for most of us probably not. You have to pay to play. If you like going to track regularly but don't have the budget for new tires every trackday I'd go with building a cheap track Miata or a Civic.

keiththesneak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' SI
I've ran falken azenis tires on the track with no issues, this was more than 10 years ago though. I'm sure these stock tires are better. Either way you're asking a 3000lb car to handle 300lbs of torque while turning and braking. Cup2's won't be any better if you seen how they degrade after few laps. They're what? 600 a piece? I mean if you really enjoy going to the track and have the disposable income cup2's make sense but for most of us probably not. You have to pay to play. If you like going to track regularly but don't have the budget for new tires every trackday I'd go with building a cheap track Miata or a Civic.
There are FWD time attack cars putting down MUCH more power than this car and their tires dont look like this after a few sessions. Time will tell when people swap out these tires for something else.

DrwMDvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan, 2000 Honda Civic
Country flag
There are FWD time attack cars putting down MUCH more power than this car and their tires dont look like this after a few sessions. Time will tell when people swap out these tires for something else.
Maybe OP is just the pre-NASCAR winning Cole Trickle ;)

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NC2 MX5 (Miata)
Country flag
time attack cars don't weight 3000+ lbs on heavy 20's.

Honda Marketing

First Name
kimha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL Type-S
Same here, plus local taxes. We pay $50k for our CTRs :( Its crazy I know.
Carlos, I can't find a CTR in my area unless I am willing to pay $20K ADM which put me in the Porsche Boxster's price range. I noticed you have a boxster in your profile. Can you provide some Pros/Cons Likes/Dislikes on the Boxster & CTR? I am considering getting the boxster since I can't get my hands on the CTR. Thanks.

dan_in_japan

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dbblsound.com
Vehicle(s)
Currently GK5 Fit RS - Past, 98 ITR, 99 SiR Accord, 85 Civic, 79 Civic, 84 Mirage, 62 Fairlane. 80 Laser
Country flag
The atmospheric temperature would have some effect but also wonder what mileage these cars were at, and what oil they were running. A new motor, on run in oil may be tighter causing more heat than you might normally expect.
The tires, could be several things going on. I have run FWD at the track before, sure somewhat lighter and less peak power but the wear could be radically different dependent on the tire itself but also my driving style. I have also gone through a set in a day but after more time with the car and adjusting for the car made them last much much longer.
I did end up with around -2.5 negative camber on the front, which helped on the track but lead to a little uneven wear on the street.

OP
OP

CarlitosPR

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E30 '86, Porsche Boxster GTS '16 and Civic Type R '17
Vehicle Showcase
Carlos, I can't find a CTR in my area unless I am willing to pay $20K ADM which put me in the Porsche Boxster's price range. I noticed you have a boxster in your profile. Can you provide some Pros/Cons Likes/Dislikes on the Boxster & CTR? I am considering getting the boxster since I can't get my hands on the CTR. Thanks.
Sure man but please, I don't have a Boxster, I have a '16 Boxster GTS PDK 6Cyl 3.4L NA :) Its a different animal in price and performance. Very fast fast and track oriented (It holds records in his category down here). If you don't plan on using a GTS on the track, don't buy it, just go and order a Boxster S and don't pay the extra cash because on the street you will not notice any difference.

Pros= Track Oriented, fast, looks and sound!
Cons = Two seats
Dislikes = Whats that?

Honda Civic 10th gen CTR Overheating? Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 7.01.55 PM

Honda Civic 10th gen CTR Overheating? Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 6.58.11 PM