First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #330, '17 Jeep GC Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It would be useful to install an OBD2 dongle and read out the accurate water temp with an Android app called Torque. Strange that the display does not show the water temp in F or C.
I am thinking of switching to a Galaxy S8 and I'm hoping my CTR arrives today. Is there a way to display Torque on the infotainment from an Android phone? Also, how is Android Auto compared to Apple Carplay?
Sponsored

CTR1633FK2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R Fk2 + Civic Type R Fk8
Country flag
I am thinking of switching to a Galaxy S8 and I'm hoping my CTR arrives today. Is there a way to display Torque on the infotainment from an Android phone? Also, how is Android Auto compared to Apple Carplay?
You need to find out first how to install apps in the head unit. By default it is locked by Honda. Try XDA forum. The FK2 head unit had a security glitch that allowed us to install custom apps. I don't know anything about Android Auto and Apple Carplay tbh.
I only use 1 app in the FK2 android unit, that is Racechrono.

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #330, '17 Jeep GC Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You need to find out first how to install apps in the head unit. By default it is locked by Honda. Try XDA forum. The FK2 head unit had a security glitch that allowed us to install custom apps. I don't know anything about Android Auto and Apple Carplay tbh.
I only use 1 app in the FK2 android unit, that is Racechrono.
Welp, guess I'll be spending some time trying to figure this out.

OP
OP

CarlitosPR

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E30 '86, Porsche Boxster GTS '16 and Civic Type R '17
Vehicle Showcase
So... No one have or race a CTR 2017 in this forum? :)

termigni

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
No one is able to get one at MSRP. that's the issue at least here in U.S. Dealerships are holding on to them with their greed.

termigni

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
that tire wear is crazy. is that a symptom of having a FWD car on the track? or is this only CTR?

OP
OP

CarlitosPR

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No one is able to get one at MSRP. that's the issue at least here in U.S. Dealerships are holding on to them with their greed.
Same here, plus local taxes. We pay $50k for our CTRs :( Its crazy I know.

TypeRish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Rsx Type S & 2015 Tlx
WE like to "baby" our cars no way am i hitting the track soo early lol maybe in a few years

OP
OP

CarlitosPR

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
WE like to "baby" our cars no way am i hitting the track soo early lol maybe in a few years
I know, we are crazy and we need help.

Anyway, we have 5 CTRs down here and just 2 actually go to the race track. We dyno our cars at 300WHP Dynojet and 245WHP Mustang. MAF was around 12 so thats not good and can cause the heating problem.

termigni

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
It's the tire that is not able to handle much heat.
correct but I'm assuming extra heat is generated because front tires are doing all the work. Accelerating, most of braking, and turning, plus the weight of the front engine setup, hence the fronts are getting heat up too much to handle.

At least with RWD or AWD, work is spread. Rear tires do the accelerating and front tires do the turning and braking. so heat is spread, meaning fronts won't get as much heat.

How do the rear tires look?

I don't have any experience with FWD on track. so I'm curious.

Katastrophe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Civic Sedan EX - 2014 VFR800F DLX
OP - Honestly, if the car wasn't in limp mode or popping up errors or codes, I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't know for certain what systems this car has in place for high-temp situations but I'd be surprised if Honda weren't smart enough to put some in place. I'm going off an assumption that the CTR has systems/redundancies like other attainable high performance cars...GT350, ZO6, ZL1, etc.

All else fails...try calling Honda.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NC2 MX5 (Miata)
Country flag
That's a known issue... :D
granted there isn't a single car in the price range you can track with out upgrades even the R. Neither car has adjustable front camber and it seems that R's front tires are shot after few laps, so much for lower weight advantage.

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
They are not that bad at all. We do need neg camber but the tire is back order on tire rack :(
They will be on BO through TR for a long time, don't ask me how I know. ;) If you want to keep the factory tire, the dealer is your best place to obtain it.

Outside of that, there are more suitable tires for track conditions, like the Pilot Sport Cup2 or the TrofeoR. The new Pilot Sport 4s sits in the middle of the Sport Contact 6 and the Sport Cup 2.
Sponsored