CTR Long Distance Comfort

zamdrang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Sport 6MT, 85 4Runner
Country flag
How do you owners find the car on long 4+ hour road trips? I understand that isn't the car's niche, but it will be my DD and I live in the west where drive times can be long. I'm in a '17 Sport 6MT, it rides nice but the seats get to me after a few hours, but ive owned much worse (04 WRX)and 43 MPG always helps me overlook any shortcomings. It's lot fun to drive but i'm wanting more and seriously considering a CTR. So far i've only sat in one parked, so no idea what it feels like to ride in and don't live anywhere close to being able to find out. Appreciate any thoughts.
Sponsored

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
Seats are great. If you get a 2020+ comfort mode rides essentially the same as a normal civic. Fuel mileage is decent for the power levels. 30+mpg is easily achieved. The biggest downsides for me are wind and tire noise. These can be fatigue inducing. Less aggressive tires might alleviate that to some extent, but would seem to run counter to the character of the car.

OP
OP

zamdrang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Seats are great. If you get a 2020+ comfort mode rides essentially the same as a normal civic. Fuel mileage is decent for the power levels. 30+mpg is easily achieved. The biggest downsides for me are wind and tire noise. These can be fatigue inducing. Less aggressive tires might alleviate that to some extent, but would seem to run counter to the character of the car.
Thanks for the info, how is the wind and tire noise compared to the regular car? I agree less aggressive tires would be kind of missing the point. Is the wind noise worse due to the aero? I can't say I have ever really been bothered by wind noise in mine which is a good sign, tire noise on rougher pavement can get old fast.

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
Thanks for the info, how is the wind and tire noise compared to the regular car? I agree less aggressive tires would be kind of missing the point. Is the wind noise worse due to the aero? I can't say I have ever really been bothered by wind noise in mine which is a good sign, tire noise on rougher pavement can get old fast.
Could be due to aero. Could also just be extra tire noise. My only experience with the standard car is a 200 mile trip driving a 2017 touring sedan. It was definitely quieter. It was also quite slow. For me, the small trade offs in noise are worth it. Reach out locally and see if someone will let you drive a Type R. The driving experience is totally different from any other FWD car. It’s sublime.

Edit: just to add, with the current resale values of these cars, it’s possible that you could own and drive this car for a year and lose less money than doing the same in the standard car. There isn’t too much risk if you decide it won’t work for you.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
One of the reasons I got rid of mine was I had very little long distance comfort in the car. However, I may be an outlier. For me the seats were comfy but lacked so much support for my back. Also, the cabin is really loud since there's far less NVH dampening materials compared to the regular Civic.

MediaMaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 2024 Ford Maverick
Country flag
How do you owners find the car on long 4+ hour road trips? I understand that isn't the car's niche, but it will be my DD and I live in the west where drive times can be long. I'm in a '17 Sport 6MT, it rides nice but the seats get to me after a few hours, but ive owned much worse (04 WRX)and 43 MPG always helps me overlook any shortcomings. It's lot fun to drive but i'm wanting more and seriously considering a CTR. So far i've only sat in one parked, so no idea what it feels like to ride in and don't live anywhere close to being able to find out. Appreciate any thoughts.
I just completed a 3200 mile trip. Drove from WI to Co. Left on Sunday 2:00pm, arrived in North Platte (around 850 miles) around 4:00am. Slept for a few hours in the back of the car and continued to Denver. Spent the week there golfing and goofing off and then returned through Kansas. (see pic)

I don't have any problem with the seats over any length of time. I've had one back surgery and several other issues that I've managed to deal with through therapy. I also stop every 2-3 hours to fill up or take a short break. I drive with someone and she has no license so I do all the driving.

I drive about 7-9 mph over the limit and have kept all my gas receipts. I averaged around 27-30 on the highway during the trip. I'm not the kind of guy who buys a car like this for the gas mileage but I do find that pretty good for all the power the car has. My in town average varies depending on how much time I spend on back roads. :cool: I've pretty much gotten from 22-25 mpg.

That said the biggest drawback on a longer trip is the drone coming from the exhaust. I have disabled the piped in sound so the car is a little quieter anyway. Put it in comfort mode and use cruise control and just turn the music up a little louder if the drone bothers you. I don't hear the tires or wind much from inside with the windows shut. I do have 19" wheels with 35 profile tires so the ride is a touch softer over the OEM setup.

You'll find a lot of reasons from everyone on this forum as to why they like the car. For me it's the safest car I've ever driven or ridden in. It is so well behaved and capable of such incredible handling right out of the box. I took plenty of time to learn the car through corner after corner. My confidence in the car just continues to rise. One thing that amazes me is how little - strong winds affect this car. It just feels so stable at every speed and all kinds of wind conditions. The fact that it gets there so quickly is all part of the fun.

Honda Civic 10th gen CTR Long Distance Comfort Monumental

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Easy to quiet down with some dynamat under the spare area / rear seat - more if you want it - seats are very comfortable to me but everyone different. I think it's a fantastic all around car and have driven long distance without a problem.

MediaMaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 2024 Ford Maverick
Country flag
Easy to quiet down with some dynamat under the spare area / rear seat - more if you want it - seats are very comfortable to me but everyone different. I think it's a fantastic all around car and have driven long distance without a problem.
I'm about to order enough of the dynamat plus cell to do the entire back area.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I'm about to order enough of the dynamat plus cell to do the entire back area.
Good deal it made a big difference I was just looking to dampen it a little bit and it did just that. I'm sure with another layer I could further reduce but I like it where it is presently.

TypeRHelvetia

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
I drive mine long distances (4hours+) all the time with wife and kiddie and we all love it. Totally comfortable, spacious and safe due to power. Imo, a powerful car is the safer option (overtaking). Mine is stock except for 18inch Rims with winter tires here in Europe. No complaints at all. Only small thing I miss is my diesel BMW 320d’s 1000km tank range. That thing was very impressive for long distances. Contrary to looks, the CTR makes for an amazing DD and fun car!

OP
OP

zamdrang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for all the responses, i'm even more tempted. Dynamat sounds like a great solution. Is it necessary to do the entire car or does the hatch area make the most difference? My Sport has zip for sound deadening material in the hatch area, but a fairly thick material in the cabin area. Is this car the same? Is it just the more aggressive tires making the difference? Or is there a difference in carpet and insulation?

I can hear road noise in my Sport, but its not to the point I can't tune it out if that makes sense. Worse with rough pavement of course. Just wondering what the difference is... This is a very subjective thing, loud...quiet....

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
Drove 647 miles to Chicago from eastern Pa and back the next day and no complaints from my mom in the car with back issues. And it was the first snow of last year on the stock summer set.

Salespunk

First Name
MO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R, Ram 2500, 328 Wagon
Country flag
Did a cross country trip in two days from Charlotte NC to San Diego CA. It wasn't terrible and better than expected. Seats were fine and since the tank is so small you will be forced to stop every few hours to refill. Car is definitely loud inside, but that is to be expected.
Sponsored