s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The manual says the CTR engine oil capacity is 5.7 quarts. I asked here if it's ok to dump all 6 quarts into the engine during an oil change, the response was no problem. The S2000 oil capacity was 5.1 quarts and yet I used to dump all 6 quarts into that engine as well (which brought the oil right to the high mark), no problem.

So, I went for an oil change, they poured around 5.2-ish quarts into the engine and it seemed like it hit the high mark on the dipstick. Btw, whoever designed the dipstick for the CTR should be hung by their toenails. Lol the measuring portion is yellow, the same color as fresh oil, with no indicator hash marks on the stick to properly catch the oil level like the S2000 dipstick could. So it's not that easy to tell where the oil level is. Anyway, weird I thought since 5.2 and 6 quarts is quite a difference.

Just in case I was going crazy and reading the dipstick incorrectly, I poured about half a quart more into the engine when I got home, bringing the total to around 5.7 quarts now in the engine. Now, on one side of the dipstick, I see oil marks on the metal part of the dipstick, about 1.5 inches past the yellow section. Still have no idea what the yellow section is showing.

Did I overfill? Either I overfilled, which is strange since I only put around 5.7 quarts into the engine, or, I'm still reading the dipstick incorrectly. Is there a nice aftermarket alternative to the oem dipstick?
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
It's hard to get an exact reading regarding how much over the min below the max it is. But in theory, there are two dimples that oil can sit in on the dip stick. If there is oil on the bottom dimple but none on the top, then you're between the lines and good to go. If there is no oil on either dimple, then you're low. If both dimples, you're over.

OP
OP

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
It's hard to get an exact reading regarding how much over the min below the max it is. But in theory, there are two dimples that oil can sit in on the dip stick. If there is oil on the bottom dimple but none on the top, then you're between the lines and good to go. If there is no oil on either dimple, then you're low. If both dimples, you're over.
Yea I saw those 2 holes. But it's kind of hard to get rid of the oil in the holes initially during the first wipe, so that you can get an accurate reading after the second dip. Plus, if both holes have oil, I'd still like to know if I'm merely at the high mark or if I overfilled considerably. Think a better solution is an embossed/matte finish where oil can "catch" on the indicators. The S2000 one had 5 levels the oil could catch onto.

Right now, not sure what to do. I have around 5.7 quarts in the engine, yet have oil marks way past the yellow plastic.

Btw, does anyone know the approximate amount of oil that indicates the difference between the low and high marks? Half a quart? A quart? Two quarts?

ShaRm3064

First Name
Sharmilan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda CIvic Type R #3064 Crystal Black Pearl
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have taken my Car to two different Dealership for an oil change and they both added around 5.2 Qts each time just by looking at the dipstick..So im assuming some oil stays within the engine. I change the oil filter on every oil change also.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I tried a Superstik because was having difficulty reading the OEM dipstick.

Do not recommend buying one for street or track use, because it failed at the track, had blow by and popped out. Have since put the OEM dipstick back.

The Superstik does read the oil level really well though, so I kept it for an oil measuring tool. (Albeit an expensive one). ?

Can read about it here if interested, to see how it compares when reading oil levels for our cars:

OP
OP

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Checked the oil after the car was sitting for a few hours, still some oil marks on the metal part, about an inch past the orange plastic piece. No idea how much of an overfill that is, even though I just put in 5.7 quarts as per the manual. Seemed to drive ok.

Anyone in this forum have engine issues from oil overfills?

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
I tried a Superstik because was having difficulty reading the OEM dipstick.

Do not recommend buying one for street or track use, because it failed at the track, had blow by and popped out. Have since put the OEM dipstick back.

The Superstik does read the oil level really well though, so I kept it for an oil measuring tool. (Albeit an expensive one). ?

Can read about it here if interested, to see how it compares when reading oil levels for our cars:
Man I was considering getting that one too for better measurement, didn't realize you already tried it and experienced issues. That's such a disappointment.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
yeah man, it was a real bummer. A waste of $89 ?

If you look closely at the pics, it is lacking (1) of the o-ring seals or a register to keep it place. Totally Inexcusable...which is a shame because it is easy to read and very accurate.

I’ve kept it to verify level whenever I change oil, heh.

I see Chasing J’s offers a titanium dipstick that is probably easier to read than OEM but one would need to scribe the lines or drill it out.

Man I was considering getting that one too for better measurement, didn't realize you already tried it and experienced issues. That's such a disappointment.

ToofHurts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
yeah man, it was a real bummer. A waste of $89 ?

If you look closely at the pics, it is lacking (1) of the o-ring seals or a register to keep it place. Totally Inexcusable...which is a shame because it is easy to read and very accurate.

I’ve kept it to verify level whenever I change oil, heh.

I see Chasing J’s offers a titanium dipstick that is probably easier to read than OEM but one would need to scribe the lines or drill it out.
If only Chasing Js had oil level marked on the stick ... would be perfect!!!

haltamer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 (UK / RHD!)
Country flag
I can't remember if it was mentioned in your thread @fatherpain, but has anyone tried modifying the standard dipstick to remove the useless plastic bit?

Could drill the holes where it sits and shuck it off; Perhaps even etch some hatching into the surface?

At the moment it may as well just be a "yep, there's some oil in there somewhere" stick.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I can't remember if it was mentioned in your thread @fatherpain, but has anyone tried modifying the standard dipstick to remove the useless plastic bit?

Could drill the holes where it sits and shuck it off; Perhaps even etch some hatching into the surface?

At the moment it may as well just be a "yep, there's some oil in there somewhere" stick.
You could also just put more, I'd likely do smaller holes or slits in the plastic itself similar to what's already there. It's not perfect, but could work out with minimal modification. Not sure which would be easier though.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I was hoping someone would post a real solution to the crappy OEM dipstick. The thing is horrible. Well, if anyone comes up with a good solution, please let us know.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey there @haltamer, I haven’t been motivated to try, heh... that said, imagine it could be done. Just would need to take note of the location of the (2) holes to transfer to the bare metal left behind once the plastic is removed. ;)

OP
OP

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
So approximately how many quarts of new oil are you guys putting in at each oil change?

Initially put in 5.2, and the tech said it looks fine according to the dipstick. Then I bumped it up to 5.7 at home since I could not accept that 5.2 was enough for this car, and it seems it's overfilled now looking at the dipstick. Someone even claimed to have put in 6.0 even, in another thread.