Bonderd

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Hello All! I am interested in getting a new clutch that is near OEM and can hold the power. Obviously the CTR retro comes to mind. It seems its very difficult and expensive to get. Its not so much the cost for me as the difficulty finding one. Regardless has anyone just bought the OEM CTR clutch kit and installed it on the 1.5T without doing the retrofit? Can you just use a CTR starter or swap the starter gear? What else would be involved? If thats all there is to it I find it hard to believe no one has tried it. Let me know your thoughts.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Kotaas

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello All! I am interested in getting a new clutch that is near OEM and can hold the power. Obviously the CTR retro comes to mind. It seems its very difficult and expensive to get. Its not so much the cost for me as the difficulty finding one. Regardless has anyone just bought the OEM CTR clutch kit and installed it on the 1.5T without doing the retrofit? Can you just use a CTR starter or swap the starter gears? What else would be involved? If thats all there is too it I find it hard to believe no one has tried it. Let me know your thoughts.
Spec had a flywheel that was supposed to work with the clutch but it didn’t fit correctly getting a refund or even a partial refund was a nightmare ?‍? definitely would say don’t go spec

OP
OP
Bonderd

Bonderd

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Spec had a flywheel that was supposed to work with the clutch but it didn’t fit correctly getting a refund or even a partial refund was a nightmare ?‍? definitely would say don’t go spec
Not what Im asking about. Im asking if we just bolted an OEM Exedy CTR clutch in to the 1.5T and swapped to the CTR starter (so the flywheel ring/gear lines up). Has anyone tried this? The bushing/pilot bearing is not needed. I do not see what else has to be “retrofit” to make it work.

Ap1 George

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SGP Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
Not what Im asking about. Im asking if we just bolted an OEM Exedy CTR clutch in to the 1.5T and swapped to the CTR starter (so the flywheel ring/gear lines up). Has anyone tried this? The bushing/pilot bearing is not needed. I do not see what else has to be “retrofit” to make it work.
Unless the CTR starter are the same dimensions externally then you'd probably have to retrofit the starter. Either way something will need to be retrofitted.

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Damn lol, I had one recently posted for sale with only a few thousand miles + emans KZCMC

Sold it a few days ago

madchiller

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
you're better off just buying the competition clutch that is closest to the retro in terms of specs. not only is it cheaper but also will be around for years to come.

OP
OP
Bonderd

Bonderd

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Unless the CTR starter are the same dimensions externally then you'd probably have to retrofit the starter. Either way something will need to be retrofitted.
so after research the CTR ring gear is too large. It goes past the bell housing of the transmission meeting surface.

the ring gears must be swapped. Once the CTR flywheel is machined down the 1.5t ring gear can fit

Ap1 George

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SGP Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
so after research the CTR ring gear is too large. It goes past the bell housing of the transmission meeting surface.

the ring gears must be swapped. Once the CTR flywheel is machined down the 1.5t ring gear can fit
That's exactly what the Type R retrofit is. The 1.5t flywheel ring gear is fitted to the Type R flywheel at a certain offset, otherwise the rest of the Type R clutch kit fits.
Sponsored