CTR Clutch Delay Valve Removal

CTR1633FK2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R Fk2 + Civic Type R Fk8
Country flag
I don't understand how removing the delay valve would have any impact at all on grinds while shifting. If I understand correctly, the purpose of the valve is to delay clutch engagement after the pedal is released. All of this should be occuring after the gear change has already happened. What I would expect from removing the valve, would be a more crisp clutch engagement and elimination of the slight slipping clutch feel when applying heavy throttle immediately after shifting.
You are right about the original purpose of the valve. It should not do anything during clutch disengagement. But if you look at the valve itself, there is a tiny metal ball with a spring that is suppose to move when you press the clutch pedal. It still restricts the flow when pressing the pedal. After removing mine, I feel the clutch disengagement is much faster and smoother/lighter without that valve.
And the difference in clutch engagement timing is even bigger of course.
Sponsored

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I see it all the time. People complain about clutch CDV when it doesn’t contribute at all to gear grinds. To those that say that can’t shift smooth without the CDV removed need to get better at driving a manual transmission. Sorry not sorry.

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
I see it all the time. People complain about clutch CDV when it doesn’t contribute at all to gear grinds. To those that say that can’t shift smooth without the CDV removed need to get better at driving a manual transmission. Sorry not sorry.
With more than 20 years driving standards—some with cable driven clutches and originally without delay valve, I had the same opinion as you. Consequently, on really cold days I would need to double clutch to shift without the synchros biting me. I adjusted the pedal, which made it marginally better. I also tried holding the clutch in for a long time to make sure it wasn't me being stupid. Then I added a SS line and removed the delay valve and I haven't needed to double clutch since. The pedal feel was also more consistent. However, when I was positive pressure (not vacuum) bleeding the clutch, I noticed a lot of little air bubbles, which I just assumed it was from cracking the line open. Unfortunately, I have the thought "what if it was air in the line from the factory and not the delay valve?" in the back of my head.

CTR1633FK2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R Fk2 + Civic Type R Fk8
Country flag
I had the exact feeling, until I removed it.

the8rotor

Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R
Country flag
I didn't dislike the car with CDV, but after removing it, damn it feels great. I chose to do this during a transmission drain and fill, and would highly recommend it for everyone.

Deleted member 47337

I didn't dislike the car with CDV, but after removing it, damn it feels great. I chose to do this during a transmission drain and fill, and would highly recommend it for everyone.
I just did my clutch delay valve delete and MY GOD! The car feels WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better! I'm an idiot for not doing it sooner! Burned my clutch for no damn reason for so long!

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
This is one of the mods who definitely helps, I would recommend to do also the master clutch cylinder mod.

Deleted member 47337

This is one of the mods who definitely helps, I would recommend to do also the master clutch cylinder mod.
Yeah, I think I'm going to do that eventually....Jeez...judging from the huge difference the CDV delete did, I can only image doing stainless steel lines for the clutch, as well as the master cylinder.

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
Yeah, I think I'm going to do that eventually....Jeez...judging from the huge difference the CDV delete did, I can only image doing stainless steel lines for the clutch, as well as the master cylinder.
I haven't tested the clutch line, but many people saying it does helps too.

Deleted member 47337

I haven't tested the clutch line, but many people saying it does helps too.
Yeah..I heard that as well.

I'm just so glad I did it, finally! I can actually control my shifts so much better, and the car picks up speed faster in 1st gear. That bog, and hesitation is gone. Thank you guys for helping me out on this forum...huge thanks!

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Intriguing solution to gear grind issue.
Over at the370Z.com Z owners are also removing their delay mechanism in the clutch hydraulic line to improve shifting.
I have/had no shifting problems with my Z or my CTR, but I don't shift at WOT either.
Has anyone tried using compressed air to push the valve out of the slave cylinder body?
Grabbing it with pliers seems difficult and dangerous to the bore of the valve.
If you do use compressed air I would wrap a towel around the valve to catch all the pieces, lol.

Snmtazz70

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
500HP 2019 Honda Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Did the PRL clutch line and wow it feels even better. More consistent and engages right away. Great feel on the pedal.

Those connections, hard line to rubber line, were a BIT** but worth it.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
No drivetrains blown to pieces from a CDV delete? Only half joking. Thinking about doing this mod.
You won't see many (if any) catastrophic failures because there aren't enough people / mileage to see the long term effects.
Sponsored