CTR at (or below?!!) sticker NICE LIST!

bushido69

First Name
Hiro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Type R, 2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT, 2002 Lexus ES300
Country flag
Noticing several new members (including myself) picking up 2020 CTR’s in the Socal/LA area. Care to share your buying experiences for those who are still hunting?
Sponsored

Tsong

First Name
Timmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic type r
Country flag
Noticing several new members (including myself) picking up 2020 CTR’s in the Socal/LA area. Care to share your buying experiences for those who are still hunting?
Hey man,
The dealership experience is horrible IMO. There was not one dealship that I could find in SoCal that would do msrp. However. there was another guy here that got lucky and got a boost blue for msrp but he got lucky. I decided to get a 2020 because I like the new updates and when the showroom reopened I went right away. I was talking to 5 dealerships at the same time and literally type r’s we’re getting sold by the hour with huge markups. This was not helping my negotiation at all. I really dislike that most of us will have to pay above msrp when we could be using that money for mods,

Also, a few dealerships I emailed in SoCal stop responding to me once I asked them the infamous “do you sell at msrp line.” My want for a type r overwhelmed my sense of reasoning and I too had to pay over. However I negotiated for two days to get every cent off I could and mentioned at least 100 times how I was not happy with them selling above msrp.

goodluck with your purchase man and I will tell you this, everytime I look at my type r, it brings the biggest smile to my face:)

REC13

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1999 Integra gsr, 2014 Mustang GT
Country flag
I live in the Houston area and got so fed up with greedy dealers trying to make every red cent off of these cars. Surprisingly I found dealers were happy to let the cars sit in their showroom for months to find a buyer willing to pay a ludicrous mark up. I brought up the point that dealers don't mark up Pilots, Odysseys, and Passports at all and they all pretty much cost more than a type r. More than a few sales persons/sales managers shrugged and said that's business. I recently purchased a used 2019 w/6k miles for a very comfortable price. I was unwilling to pay more than msrp and used was the only way for me not to feel poked hard when buying the car.

Tinuviel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
Country flag
I'm just giving up for now on finding one and instead pumping the money I would have spent on a down payment into mods for my focus st. The greed on these dealers for this car is just pissing me off. I'll check again in a few years.

John06

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R - SGP
Country flag
Hey man,
The dealership experience is horrible IMO. There was not one dealship that I could find in SoCal that would do msrp. However. there was another guy here that got lucky and got a boost blue for msrp but he got lucky. I decided to get a 2020 because I like the new updates and when the showroom reopened I went right away. I was talking to 5 dealerships at the same time and literally type r’s we’re getting sold by the hour with huge markups. This was not helping my negotiation at all. I really dislike that most of us will have to pay above msrp when we could be using that money for mods,

Also, a few dealerships I emailed in SoCal stop responding to me once I asked them the infamous “do you sell at msrp line.” My want for a type r overwhelmed my sense of reasoning and I too had to pay over. However I negotiated for two days to get every cent off I could and mentioned at least 100 times how I was not happy with them selling above msrp.

goodluck with your purchase man and I will tell you this, everytime I look at my type r, it brings the biggest smile to my face:)
I was in a similar boat. I ended up going out of state and paying $500 under MSRP. With Shipping, I am about $500 over. I also have to deal with smog and DMV myself. But at the end of the day, I refused to pay ADM and mark-up. These tactics by California dealers is really upsetting given the pandemic situation.

2020PMM

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 PMM Type R, 2018Honda CR-V Touring
Country flag
I live in the Houston area and got so fed up with greedy dealers trying to make every red cent off of these cars. Surprisingly I found dealers were happy to let the cars sit in their showroom for months to find a buyer willing to pay a ludicrous mark up. I brought up the point that dealers don't mark up Pilots, Odysseys, and Passports at all and they all pretty much cost more than a type r. More than a few sales persons/sales managers shrugged and said that's business. I recently purchased a used 2019 w/6k miles for a very comfortable price. I was unwilling to pay more than msrp and used was the only way for me not to feel poked hard when buying the car.
I managed to negotiate a deal on a 2020 PMM Type R with the new car sales manager (Tiffany) at Honda Cars of Katy just a few miles west of Houston a couple weeks ago. It took me a couple of days and I had to bypass the regular sales people and deal directly with the sales manager but I took it home for MSRP, no additional charges of any kind other than TTL. You have to work at it, but you can find dealers in the Houston and San Antonio area for MSRP if you put in the time.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
I'm just giving up for now on finding one and instead pumping the money I would have spent on a down payment into mods for my focus st. The greed on these dealers for this car is just pissing me off. I'll check again in a few years.
I was in a similar boat. I ended up going out of state and paying $500 under MSRP. With Shipping, I am about $500 over. I also have to deal with smog and DMV myself. But at the end of the day, I refused to pay ADM and mark-up. These tactics by California dealers is really upsetting given the pandemic situation.
Plenty of dealers selling 2020’s at fair (generally about MSRP) prices. No need to have a bad experience, just find a good dealer to work with (may be outside of your immediate area).

REC13

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Plenty of dealers selling 2020’s at fair (generally about MSRP) prices. No need to have a bad experience, just find a good dealer to work with (may be outside of your immediate area).
I had called every Honda Dealer in the Houston area and none of them would even come close to msrp. There was even a dealer than took deposits from many people , then got one car delivered, called all deposit holders to come down and participate in an auction for ONE car! The closest I got to a real quote from a local dealer was $40k plus another $2k in dealer add-ons like nitrogen, window tint, paint/interior protection....on and on and on. I was willing to make a drive to get one also within a 300 mile radius of Houston. I'm sure some have found less greedy dealers, but I wasn't able to make a deal.

InThatThang

First Name
Darien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Honda Civic Type R.
Country flag
I had called every Honda Dealer in the Houston area and none of them would even come close to msrp. There was even a dealer than took deposits from many people , then got one car delivered, called all deposit holders to come down and participate in an auction for ONE car! The closest I got to a real quote from a local dealer was $40k plus another $2k in dealer add-ons like nitrogen, window tint, paint/interior protection....on and on and on. I was willing to make a drive to get one also within a 300 mile radius of Houston. I'm sure some have found less greedy dealers, but I wasn't able to make a deal.
Cars.com was a big help for me. I know how you feel. I contacted so many dealers my head started hurting lol Luckily someone backed out of a purchase so I was able to secure one. I'd try Alabama or Louisiana cause we didn't have any in MS. Im driving 300 miles to pick mine up on Saturday.

REC13

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Cars.com was a big help for me. I know how you feel. I contacted so many dealers my head started hurting lol Luckily someone backed out of a purchase so I was able to secure one. I'd try Alabama or Louisiana cause we didn't have any in MS. Im driving 300 miles to pick mine up on Saturday.
I purchased a used 2019 CTR from a Porsche dealer in north houston with 6k on it for way under MSRP. I'm happy with my deal and the car of course, but the dealer experience was a huge disappointment.

helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I'm in Houston, and until 2 weeks ago maybe 2 CTRs came through...all well above MSRP. There's a Red one in Covington, LA that's been on the lot for over a month...they'll probably go $1000 below MSRP. Oddly, they wanted $1000 over MSRP for a newly arrived white CTR.

There were no deals in Houston, despite the economic situation, because the first wave of CTRs hit the area all at once...I suspect in a couple of weeks you can negotiate closer to MSRP. I bought my last 3 Hondas at Big Star here in Houston...and I explained to them that their short-term desire to sell the CTR way above MSPR was jeopardizing a long-term customer. They didn't care.

There were so many laughable experiences...especially North Corpus Christi Honda, whos poorly trained salesperson at one point told me Honda is only making 600 Type Rs...maybe that's why he was asking $47,900!

During my search (probably called 30 dealerships) I found a couple of notable dealerships:

• Frank Brown Honda in Lubbock, TX - Sells at MSRP, no add-ons.

• Mungenast St. Louis Honda - Says the sales manager does not allow them to sell above MSRP, no add-ons.

• Bob Boyte Honda Jackson, MS - I bought my 2020 White CTR here for $36,990, no add-ons. That was their price, no negotiations required. They said they understand that the typical CRT buyer doesn't want the dealership installing tint and random accessories, you get it just like it comes off the truck -minus the plastic coverings. I really thought it was a scam...but I eventually flew to the Jackson airport ($77 thank you AA), Milton was there waiting for me, and less than an hour later I was on my way back to Houston in my first CTR road trip. When I'm ready to replace my 08 Ridgeline, I'm going to call them first.

InThatThang

First Name
Darien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Honda Civic Type R.
Country flag
I'm in Houston, and until 2 weeks ago maybe 2 CTRs came through...all well above MSRP. There's a Red one in Covington, LA that's been on the lot for over a month...they'll probably go $1000 below MSRP. Oddly, they wanted $1000 over MSRP for a newly arrived white CTR.

There were no deals in Houston, despite the economic situation, because the first wave of CTRs hit the area all at once...I suspect in a couple of weeks you can negotiate closer to MSRP. I bought my last 3 Hondas at Big Star here in Houston...and I explained to them that their short-term desire to sell the CTR way above MSPR was jeopardizing a long-term customer. They didn't care.

There were so many laughable experiences...especially North Corpus Christi Honda, whos poorly trained salesperson at one point told me Honda is only making 600 Type Rs...maybe that's why he was asking $47,900!

During my search (probably called 30 dealerships) I found a couple of notable dealerships:

• Mungenast St. Louis Honda - Says the sales manager does not allow them to sell above MSRP, no add-ons.

• Bob Boyte Honda Jackson, MS - I bought my 2020 White CTR here for $36,990, no add-ons. That was their price, no negotiations required. They said they understand that the typical CRT buyer doesn't want the dealership installing tint and random accessories, you get it just like it comes off the truck -minus the plastic coverings. I really thought it was a scam...but I eventually flew to the Jackson airport ($77 thank you AA), Milton was there waiting for me, and less than an hour later I was on my way back to Houston in my first CTR road trip. When I'm ready to replace my 08 Ridgeline, I'm going to call them first.
Small world! Bob Boyte is my local dealership. Great people, I definitely would've got my type r here but I was determined to get the boost blue lol

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag
Is it just me or has the latest word about CTR shortages causing some dealerships to set their prices back to MSRP or even with a markup. I have noticed that the prices I'm seeing on cars.com and autotrader.com have been going up back to MSRP after I've seen some dealerships post their vehicles around 35k. I think some of these foolish dealerships are going to use the shortage as leverage for justification of markup which is absurd.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag

Congrats!

Great example of finding a good dealership to do business with. You get a CTR at a fair price and its a good experience.

Blazed

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CBP Type R
Country flag
I’m in the Bay Area and all of the dealers around here and in SoCal are still asking $3k-15k over MSRP. Yes 15k!! (At Stockton Honda, Boost Blue). And even more interesting, many of them are actually selling fairly well in the 3-5k over range, depending on color. But the Bay Area is notorious for this, regardless of a Pandemic apparently. It seems accurate that overall Type R inventory is still very limited and most dealers are only getting one or two more later this Fall in addition to what they have now, or in transit, for the rest of the year

After realizing the situation in CA and the western region overall wasn’t worth the brain damage, I knew I had to look East and be ready to buy instantly if I found the right deal. Well persistence finally paid off. After a lot of calls and emails I was able to find a new 2020 in Crystal Black Pearl (my only color choice) that I bought for nearly 2k below MSRP. Thanks to Foundation Honda in Cleveland Heights for essentially honoring the original listed price despite an error in the online listing showing over 3k off MSRP! They currently don’t have anymore Type Rs in stock but I recommend them to anyone looking for a reputable Honda dealer in general. I’m having the car shipped via enclosed transport and it should arrive next week. Very stoked to join the Type R family!
Sponsored

Last edited: