Labeller19

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
anyone having an aftermarket CSF rad which is the same as full race ( they put their logo on it that’s it, there re buying from CSF) im waiting fir mine, will install in a month. Any issues? Need extra thing? The stock pressure cap will fit or need one aftermarket? Etc..
Sponsored

Sales@USR

First Name
USR
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.unitedspeedracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
anyone having an aftermarket CSF rad which is the same as full race ( they put their logo on it that’s it, there re buying from CSF) im waiting fir mine, will install in a month. Any issues? Need extra thing? The stock pressure cap will fit or need one aftermarket? Etc..
CSF often builds radiators for other companies, and usually doesnt not sell them direct. The Full Race Radiator is a CSF but only available from CSF. We have been using the Full Race/CSF radiator for about a year now. Nice quality, but just as other radiators for the CTR, no actual improvement.

CXRB17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan LX, '17 CTR (PA Signed in WI, ETA 5/31-6/7, Blue)
Country flag
CSF often builds radiators for other companies, and usually doesnt not sell them direct. The Full Race Radiator is a CSF but only available from CSF. We have been using the Full Race/CSF radiator for about a year now. Nice quality, but just as other radiators for the CTR, no actual improvement.
There’s no improvement at all from upgrading from a stock radiator?

SHIFTT_IX_MR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 WW EVO 9 MR 548AWHP @ 30psi w/ E85; 2018 CBP Civic Type R #21151 - DD
Country flag
There’s no improvement at all from upgrading from a stock radiator?
You would probably see a bigger improvement from upgrading to a lower thermostat. But yes, even in my EVO, adding a 3inch radiator did nothing to reduce engine temps, it merely reduced the number of times the radiator and fan would kick in. I mean don't get me wrong, the larger the radiator the more efficient the cooling but if you haven't change the thermostat, you're still running the same temps through a bigger radiator, and those temps are maintained by the thermostat.

Ihave0time

First Name
Jaws
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 CTR
Country flag
You would probably see a bigger improvement from upgrading to a lower thermostat. But yes, even in my EVO, adding a 3inch radiator did nothing to reduce engine temps, it merely reduced the number of times the radiator and fan would kick in. I mean don't get me wrong, the larger the radiator the more efficient the cooling but if you haven't change the thermostat, you're still running the same temps through a bigger radiator, and those temps are maintained by the thermostat.
You don’t see a improvement with keeping the temps down on the track with the upgraded radiator?

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
This is not quite right. The thermostat tries to keep the engine at a particular temperature as you said, and as the engine heats up it will open up fully to use all the cooling the radiator has to offer. Once you are in this state and you keep generating more heat, it's all up to the heat transfer ability of the radiator. This is the same no matter what temperature the thermostat is set to.

Think of it like trying to cool a building with a/c. You set your thermostat lower and it will keep you cooler...until the day when the weather is so hot that the a/c doesn't have the physical ability to move enough heat. Now the building overheats. This is the situation an overheating engine is in.

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
Wonder now, which way is more efficient:
An aftermarket radiator with stock location or a secondary radiator?

Things to keep in mind:
Weight.
Real benefit.
Price.

CXRB17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan LX, '17 CTR (PA Signed in WI, ETA 5/31-6/7, Blue)
Country flag

Things to keep in mind:
Weight.
Real benefit.
Price.
This entire thread is making me reconsider getting any radiator upgrades.

lorenkb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag

Things to keep in mind:
Weight.
Real benefit.
Price.
How about neither?

There's clear feedback from testing of the Mishimoto secondary cooler that there are no improvements without even more changes (AKA fans or more hoodscoop). Increasing thermal mass without increased airflow is pointless. All you do is increase the time before the system is saturated. Once you're up to regulated temp, you have almost no additional cooling capacity. Same case goes for the replacement radiator, as previously pointed out by Jason. You can hope for a couple more percent in efficiency with aftermarket heat exchanger VS stock, but you aren't addressing the root issue.

If you want real changes in cooling capability, you need to increase airflow through the radiator.

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
In terms of weight, complexity, and efficiency, a better main radiator is probably better than a secondary radiator. Instead of a whole separate radiator, with added hoses, hose clamps, points of potential leakage, and mounting complexity, a better main radiator would add slightly more thickness or a bit larger dimensions. The sheer simplicity beats dealing with a whole new cooling loop as a solution, in my opinion.

I think one area that no one seems to have addressed is better cooling fans. The stock ones are super flat and tightly packaged. They aren't ducted to flow through the entire radiator--just the circular part underneath the fan. If someone came up with fans that flowed more air and also designed some kind of duct to efficiently pull air from more of the surface, I feel it could help. However, I'm guessing that Honda likely experimented with fans and ducting and were constrained by space issues.

Last edited:

OP
OP

Labeller19

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Direct fit? No mods required?

Sales@USR

First Name
USR
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.unitedspeedracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If someone would be a willing guinea pig, going to a company such as Ron Davis radiators and having a custom radiator fabricated might be interesting.

http://www.rondavisradiators.com
multiples have been tested, no real benefit from any. We will be testing something new soon, could be a potential solution.....stay tuned

OP
OP

Labeller19

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
multiples have been tested, no real benefit from any. We will be testing something new soon, could be a potential solution.....stay tuned
I already purchased it ... i will be installing all my bolt on next friday, should I keep my stock rad if there’s no benefit at all?
Sponsored