CRZ Type R

Ruckus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R. 2012 Honda Ruckus. 2001 civic sedan. 2012 accord sedan.
Country flag
To this day i will never understand why they decided to make that car a hybrid. such a waste

nyuofa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M4, STI
So you can look good while you're 'reducing your carbon footprint' to help save the environment....as you're traveling really, really ridiculously slow.

Ruckus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So you can look good while you're 'reducing your carbon footprint' to help save the environment....as you're traveling really, really ridiculously slow.
haha right on :thumbsup:

Wabby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Cr-z
Country flag
To this day i will never understand why they decided to make that car a hybrid. such a waste
As an crz owner I can tell you this, it's genius! First off, they have removed the starter and the electric motor is a part of the flywheel who also starts the engine. Instant!
You never drive pure electric, the motor is for fun and lower momentum. And it really helps you for the little extra.

I've been used to it and driving regular petrol engines is suddenly not the same, because in the crz you have quite good momentum on low rpm.
And the way it fires up, it's awesome.
This combined with stickshift is really fun.

Personally I was hoping honda did more of this.

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SportTouring Hatch, 2010 EvoX SE
Country flag
As an crz owner I can tell you this, it's genius! First off, they have removed the starter and the electric motor is a part of the flywheel who also starts the engine. Instant!
You never drive pure electric, the motor is for fun and lower momentum. And it really helps you for the little extra.

I've been used to it and driving regular petrol engines is suddenly not the same, because in the crz you have quite good momentum on low rpm.
And the way it fires up, it's awesome.
This combined with stickshift is really fun.

Personally I was hoping honda did more of this.
I used to be a CRZ owner too, and I will 100% defend the car - it was just 120% mis-marketed

The CRZ was more along the lines of a Mazda2, Toyota Yaris, but with far more personality. It was THAT kind of sporty - not Civic Si, Speed3, Miata, etc kind of sporty.

There's a market of people who just don't need THAT much car - as in don't need that much space/size. There are lots of people out there that have two people in their car at most. Those kind of people also would love to trade two rear doors for a hatchback - they're probably hauling more stuff more often than hauling 4 people.

The CRZ was a blast in a stickshift. I thrashed that thing all the time and still managed ~30mpg. The torque from the battery made it really peppy, and as described, it's probably the best auto-stop-start ever implemented sub 30k, the dash design still is fantastic by today's standards. It was so much fun in a "slow car fast vs fast car slow", but it wasn't as slow as other cars in that category because of it's peppy, instant, battery powered torque.

But people for some reason kept walking up to test drive it comparing it to cars in a completely different class.

Detailmylifeaway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic type r , s2000 , delsol & soon to be a NSX
Country flag
Lht performance has a CRK , a k20a swapped crz that is awesome & everything works like oem factory !! It's a bad little dude & im sure very fast.

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
I remember test driving a CRZ.Had the acceleration of a bread truck.o_O

Ruckus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
whoa whoa calm down boys i wasn't trying to belittle the car, believe me i know all about it. my dealership specializes in hybrids, although older insights is more our forte. its an awesome car, but me personally i would have loved to see them put a more high performance motor in the vehicle, the style reminded me so much of the crx the first time i saw it.

ronmcdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FiestaST, 19 Si, Camaro Z1LE, EvoX, 98 240sx
Country flag
It wasn't just the engine choice being an issue. I would have had no issues with the power being made if it were a lighter car without a torsion beam rear suspension, and handled great. Just about anything you could think of being important was a problem. It was probably trying to be too many things at one time.

I agree marketing was definitely an issue, because there's no way CRX comparisons could have been avoided as well as immediate disappointment. As a former CRX owner, it was hard not to take this personally. If it were called the Insight Coupe, the marketing would have been more reasonable.
Sponsored

Last edited: