crush washer

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
can anyone tell me why it's called a "crush washer" because as far as I can tell it's just a plain solid steel washer. Does it actually "crush" when it's tightened?
Sponsored

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
its a soft steel that will crush a little and conform around the area its mating on. the more noticeable ones are on spark plugs

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
I assume you're asking for the oil filter?

If so, replace it. It's good practice, and it's there for a reason.

And as others have said, it crushes to conform to the seal around it.

CivicXX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic touring, 2015 Fit
Country flag
I assume you're asking for the oil filter?

If so, replace it. It's good practice, and it's there for a reason.

And as others have said, it crushes to conform to the seal around it.
I suspect he's talking about the drain plugs..(transmission and oil pan).. no washer on oil filter ;).. That being said, the washer is to be replaced everytime its removed. No guarantee in sealing if its not.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
I suspect he's talking about the drain plugs..(transmission and oil pan).. no washer on oil filter ;).. That being said, the washer is to be replaced everytime its removed. No guarantee in sealing if its not.
Yes, brain-fart.

Thanks for that haha

OP
OP

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
did my first oil change myself yesterday. replaced the oil,filter and the washer.Cost me 35 dollars. I've read that the dealers don't replace the filter on the first oil change, which doesn't make sense to me. It costs like five bucks. Why would anyone want to change the oil and not the filter? To save 5 dollars?? And I've read of people going 10,000 miles before their first oil change. I did my first one at 4500. My maintenance minder said 30%. I used Mobil 1 extended service 0W20. It took about an hour,mostly because of the removal and replacement of the cover under the engine. And I used two jackstands under the car, which was also kind of time consuming. Ever since an oil change guy stripped the threads on my drain plug ten years ago I don't trust anyone else to change my oil. I got home and the next morning there was oil all over my garage floor. I'm sure the Honda dealer probably wouldn't do something like this, but I still feel better doing it myself. Also, when you go to Jiffy lube and pay for synthetic how do you know what they actually put in your car?
Sponsored