Crush washer

Koomoo88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic SI
Country flag
Can anyone tell me the crush washer size for the Civic type r oil drain bolt and the transmission drain bolt?

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Looking all over to find size of crush washer needed for EX 2L. Anyone know?
I bought new one with original Honda filter at my dealer. Dealer sell those crush washer
For the next oil change keep the old crush washer and see a Auto Parts store

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I bought a bag of 50 a couple years ago off Amazon. They are all the same for my Odyssey, the '15 I had and the '18 Civic now. Buy a bunch at one time and their cost each is nil and you won't run out for years. I probably haven't used 10 in the 3 or 4 years since I bought them. I still have 4 out of 5 ATF drain crush washers for the Odyssey, which ought to put towards the vehicles EOL. It's not a bad item to buy a handful of at a good price as they don't really go bad.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
I went to my dealer and the parts guy just gave me a couple of them. no charge.

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I change them but never understood the purpose. I've had 7 other non Honda vehicles with over 500K driving in 30 years, and no crush washers, and never a leak.

CobraCommand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Canadian Civic LX Hatchback, formerly 2017 Canadian Civic LX Sedan
Country flag
I change them but never understood the purpose. I've had 7 other non Honda vehicles with over 500K driving in 30 years, and no crush washers, and never a leak.
Some cars have rubber gaskets in the drain plug instead of washers, the point of them is to conform to both surfaces of the oil pan and drain bolt by slightly crushing while tightening ensuring a better seal.

Also apart from the seal they help you not over torque the drain pan bolt a bit. No drippy drippy, less strippy strippy.

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
Literally no reason to replace it unless it drips, and then it's likely not tightened properly or the drain plug itself needs replacement.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Literally no reason to replace it unless it drips, and then it's likely not tightened properly or the drain plug itself needs replacement.

You could be right, but what do you do if it drips after a new oil change ?
It's worth to save $0.75 ?
I replace mine each time.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I didn't replace them for awhile... now I do as of ~2-3 years ago. As the washer deforms slightly the first time, you've got to crunch it down again to deform it... and it takes a bit more the follow on time. I buy oil that's on sale and do all the work myself so I'm already on the cheap. Once I got enough washers for 10 years of changes, I just started tossing them each time.

To each their own. There certainly isn't a special place in hell waiting washer-reusers. I'd just say that, if you *do* get a leak and are reusing them... I'd try a new washer before a new drain plug. A new one really does seal up well w/minimal tightening. As it has a fresh surface to conform to both sides, the pan and the plug, I think it also is a little insurance against these few 'my plug wasn't tightened and all my oil came out' threads we've seen. I'm not sure used ones crush and conform quite so well and give the resistance to both sides to prevent turning. That isn't it's main function, however... but it's something I considered. When I go hand tight on a drain plug with a fresh washer... it is pretty tight and I doubt it would pop loose, before I put a wrench on it. The reused washers don't feel that way, probably because it's not making as much contact on each side before you tighten and re-crunch it.

All that being said, most people can reuse them again and again without problems. I was one for a long time.

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Problem with re-using a crush washer that has been crushed is you run the risk of stretching the threads if you really like to tighten stuff up. With a fresh washer the crushing reduces the stress on the threads.

I'll sometimes re-use it just once then replace.
Sponsored