Crunching Sound When Shifting?

delsorbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic si sedan '18
Country flag
So aside from the actual shifter clicking into place, I am noticing a crunching sound when going into 2nd and 3rd.. sounds like it's behind the pedals. Doesn't happen when releasing the clutch pedal, but more so as I am moving the shifter. I don't really hear anything in 4th or 5th or 6th. It's easy to hear with windows closed, and cannot really source the sound outside with the windows down. Does anyone else have this too?
Sponsored

jpaik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan Orchid White
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So aside from the actual shifter clicking into place, I am noticing a crunching sound when going into 2nd and 3rd.. sounds like it's behind the pedals. Doesn't happen when releasing the clutch pedal, but more so as I am moving the shifter. I don't really hear anything in 4th or 5th or 6th. It's easy to hear with windows closed, and cannot really source the sound outside with the windows down. Does anyone else have this too?
I have the same thing too. It clicks when shifting out of gear to neutral and into a gear, usually from 1st -> 2nd and 2nd -> 3rd.
So like if I'm shifting from first to second, the sound comes when I move the gear from 1st to neutral (click #1) and then from neutral to 2nd (click #2).
Shifting into a gear higher than 3 does not make the sound.

According to some of the threads like this one (https://www.civicx.com/threads/click-sound-when-changing-gear-shifting.16305), it's perfectly normal.
I'm assuming there's nothing wrong with the car, it's just like that.

OP
OP

delsorbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic si sedan '18
Country flag
thanks.. that thread does provide insight and also the same problems other people are having with the whole crunching sound near the pedals.. definitely sounds like something is moving about.. i will try stepping on the clutch more fully to see if that reduces it.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic si
Country flag
thanks.. that thread does provide insight and also the same problems other people are having with the whole crunching sound near the pedals.. definitely sounds like something is moving about.. i will try stepping on the clutch more fully to see if that reduces it.
Hi there, I have the same issue with my brand new 2020 si... did you find out anything? It is really annoying...

OP
OP

delsorbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic si sedan '18
Country flag
Hi there, I have the same issue with my brand new 2020 si... did you find out anything? It is really annoying...
Nope ..still hear it but I've chalked it up to mechanical parts moving about. Nothing is broken so far and no reports of over wear or issues with the tranny when I take it in for servicing so just living with it for now. Enjoy the ride my friend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic si
Country flag
Nope ..still hear it but I've chalked it up to mechanical parts moving about. Nothing is broken so far and no reports of over wear or issues with the tranny when I take it in for servicing so just living with it for now. Enjoy the ride my friend
thank you my friend, I guess I gotta play loud music when driving to cover it up...that's really annoying especially it is a brand new car...

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
I see you are in Toronto.... Amsoil Syncromesh really smoothes out the shifts. The catch 20-2 is that it is a bit thick for our cold winters. Shifts fine in the winter once warmed up, you just have to shift slowly. In the summer no issues.

Honda mtf needs to be changed out annually to keep the shifts buttery smooth.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic si
Country flag
I see you are in Toronto.... Amsoil Syncromesh really smoothes out the shifts. The catch 20-2 is that it is a bit thick for our cold winters. Shifts fine in the winter once warmed up, you just have to shift slowly. In the summer no issues.

Honda mtf needs to be changed out annually to keep the shifts buttery smooth.
Where did you get the amsoil mtf in toronto? when you were saying "smoothes out the shifts" , did you mean it smoothes process of the gear stick going into each gear, or you meant the general shifting experience (including engaging the clutch). I had a hard time at the beginning for shifting from 1 to 3, it always jerked, hard to match the rev. I had to slow down my shift in order to make it smooth. Sometimes the grandma behind me would raised her hand and go around me lol. it was kind of embarrassing especially this is a sport car.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
If you are on FB 10GenClub Ontario, there is a distributor there or just go to Amsoil.ca and order there.

smoothes out shifts in the transmission. Does nothing for the clutch.

blackie X

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
i chalk it up to the shifter just needing to be broken in, mine still does it occasionally after 33k miles. but for the most part its super smooth and only really happens when i down shift into 3rd gear.

dantwan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I used to have this crunch, I can't explain how this is even possible but after I picked up a new set of tires last week the crunch has gone away entirely. :dunno:

For the record the tires I grabbed are Goodyear Eagle Exhilirates, just one step above the Eagle Sports it came on, and I love them overall so far.
Sponsored