cory13

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2020
Country flag
I'm sorry for bringing this thread back but the crunchiness is still there and won't go away I've been thinking of taking it to the dealership, should I?. It went away for a little and came back and I noticed that it's only at certain revs, in between 2.6k - 3.4k
Sponsored

Chubs77

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm sorry for bringing this thread back but the crunchiness is still there and won't go away I've been thinking of taking it to the dealership, should I?. It went away for a little and came back and I noticed that it's only at certain revs, in between 2.6k - 3.4k
I had the same issue. Iā€™ve read that it happens as the transmission starts to break in and gets crunchy and vague. Personally I went with the Type R shifter upgrade with all the acuity add ons (except for short throw adapter). It feels so much better now, crunchiness is gone, gate spacing is accurate. If you donā€™t wanna spend the money on the full acuity assembly they type r shifter with the add ons is about half the price and great for daily driving.

brixsquad

First Name
Bricco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
If you do go, would like to get an update on this. Just got a 2020 Si and could feel that same crunchiness although it does seem to go away when the car is fully warmed up.

OP
OP
cory13

cory13

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2020
Country flag
I had the same issue. Iā€™ve read that it happens as the transmission starts to break in and gets crunchy and vague. Personally I went with the Type R shifter upgrade with all the acuity add ons (except for short throw adapter). It feels so much better now, crunchiness is gone, gate spacing is accurate. If you donā€™t wanna spend the money on the full acuity assembly they type r shifter with the add ons is about half the price and great for daily driving.
I've had the car since July so breaking in it should be done already. I've been thinking about that for a while now and I'd prefer to just have it figured out and fix it rather than change it for something else but if it persists after having it checked out I'll give it more consideration.
Thanks for letting me know about the CTR shifter
Edit: added info

OP
OP
cory13

cory13

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2020
Country flag
If you do go, would like to get an update on this. Just got a 2020 Si and could feel that same crunchiness although it does seem to go away when the car is fully warmed up.
I'll let you know brother for sure I thought it was the warming up but even after warming it up I feel it i drive about 40 miles everyday (to work and back) and there are days that I feel it and times that it's there everytime so who knows what it is

tcr1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic si 2020
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I inquired about changing the kind of oil.
Honda do not recommend doing this if there is a problem with the transmission and the oil is not the same as Honda is using.
Goodbye guaranty !!

Today it is 3 degrees Celsius and it was difficult to change gears until the car warmed up.

On the other hand, what helped a lot were these parts.
I could not support the original clutch pedal.

SiriMoto N1 Clutch Master . 169$

https://www.procivic.com/p/ym/2020/civic/n1-clutch-master-slave-cylinder-upgrade-kit.html?ctid=4165

Honda Civic 10th gen Crunchiness Capture dā€™eĢcran, le 2021-03-27 aĢ€ 14.42.10

Last edited:

haltamer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 (UK / RHD!)
Country flag
Having a full Acuity setup, Bushings etc, changing MTF3 @15K, Bleeding clutch with RBF600, Skunk2 Weighted gearknob - The biggest thing that made an impact on overall crunch for me was Perrin RMM Inserts.

I'd hypothesize that the allowed range of engine movement with the factory mounts allows the engine (And attched transmission) Just a bit too much play under certain conditions, leading to the gear cables etc. being ever so slightly out of "tune", hence the occasional not-so-great feeling change.

With RMM inserts, that seems to be completely eliminated - Far more consistent at all times, at the tradeoff of some slight vibration with slow manouvering.

For the sake of ~Ā£35 and an hour to fit (Mostly jacking the car up), I'd strongly suggest giving them a go.

OP
OP
cory13

cory13

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2020
Country flag
I inquired about changing the kind of oil.
Honda do not recommend doing this if there is a problem with the transmission and the oil is not the same as Honda is using.
Goodbye guaranty !!

Today it is 3 degrees Celsius and it was difficult to change gears until the car warmed up.

On the other hand, what helped a lot were these parts.
I could not support the original clutch pedal.

SiriMoto N1 Clutch Master . 169$

https://www.procivic.com/p/ym/2020/civic/n1-clutch-master-slave-cylinder-upgrade-kit.html?ctid=4165

Capture dā€™eĢcran, le 2021-03-27 aĢ€ 14.42.10.jpg
I'm assuming that by oil you mean tranny oil right? Because I did my oil change and didn't use OEM oil

tcr1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic si 2020
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
sorry I should have specified.
Yeah I was talking about the transmission oil .

skottharrison

First Name
Skott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Sedan, 2021 Subaru Crosstrek
Country flag
Forgive my noobness Civicsters,

But this crunch, is it a mechanical friction feeling from the shifter assembly, (like putting on a tupperware lid, sorry for the poor analogy), or is it something you're sensing from the transmission (like the clutch engaging or the changing of gears)? (<<-- the question)

From my experience, a shift from 1-2, or 3-4, even a bit of 5-6 you'll hear a clunk when entering the gate. For me, that sensation (Which I don't mind at all, I kinda like it) is coming from the shifter assembly, there's nothing else that can make that click-click, especially when going through cable a cable actuated shift process. I came from a 99 civic where the shifter assembly was literally connected to the transmission through two long steel shafts under the car.
Sponsored