KevCarver

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Civic Si
Country flag
Don't your RPMs start climbing the second you push the clutch in because the car is adding throttle to compensate for the speed loss? I have never heard of any car that can do this.
Nope. If you leave the pedal pushed in it stabilizes and then eventually shuts off the cruise. Someone earlier said 5 seconds, but I never timed it.
Sponsored

Manual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-T 6mt
Country flag
To be clear, ..

The 1.5t has a lot of torque, so you'd have to be in some pretty steep hills to require a down shift (and subsequent up-shift on the back side of the hill).

IF you DID need a shift (with cruise control set) you just push in the clutch, shift, release the clutch. You don't touch the throttle. All the fancy computers control the engine rpm very nicely. Mph will be maintained.

If you're running cruise control in ECO mode, the mph is a little "soft" ... it will drop a few mph on hills (i.e. 1 to 3 mph). If you leave it in normal (not ECO) then the mph stays pretty much dead nuts on over hill and dale.

/disclaimer: I've only played with the "cruise shift" on light rolling terrain, maybe a 6mt owner who has travelled in the mountains can relay some steep terrain experience.
//but, .. if you're in steep up/downs, then you're probably in tight switchbacks, so the cruise should be off anyway.

Last edited:

shire123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 honda hybrid, 2009 Honda Fit, 2015 Honda CRV
You absolutely CAN shift with the cruise control engaged! You have a few seconds of lag time with the clutch in before it shuts off. More than enough time to change gears.
If you have the Eco button on it will accelerate very slowly. If you have to brake and then hit resume, you better turn off Eco or it will take forever to reach your previous speed again!
I stand corrected! Just took my car out and tested all this on fairly level road. With cruise on and going 55mph I shifted back and forth between 5th and 6th a number of times. Cruise remained on between shifts. RPMs only went to what was appropriate for that gear and speed ( 2100 for 6th, 2500 for 5th). No revhang. If you kept the clutch in for over 2 seconds then the cruise disengaged. Cruise also disengaged with tapping of the brake pedal.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
So you don't need to press the "resume" button? Just shift and it will speed back up to the set speed on its own?

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Don't your RPMs start climbing the second you push the clutch in because the car is adding throttle to compensate for the speed loss? I have never heard of any car that can do this.
No the car has logic built into it for cruise control.. As stated before you have 5 seconds to change gears before it disengages.. It has been this way since my 8th gen civic. If you go from sixth to 5th within 5 seconds the engine will get you back up to your original set cruise control speed as fast as possible..

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
So you don't need to press the "resume" button? Just shift and it will speed back up to the set speed on its own?
No. Just clutch in, select new gear, clutch out

KevCarver

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Civic Si
Country flag
Technically, if you had been using CC and came to a stop at a light or stop sign, you could pull away like normal until CC activation speed (25?) then hit resume and let the car accelerate itself as you upshifted appropriately. But you better turn off Econ, 'cause it's really slow! I've tried it before, just to see if it works.

shire123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Technically, if you had been using CC and came to a stop at a light or stop sign, you could pull away like normal until CC activation speed (25?) then hit resume and let the car accelerate itself as you upshifted appropriately. But you better turn off Econ, 'cause it's really slow! I've tried it before, just to see if it works.
I stand corrected! Just took my car out and tested all this on fairly level road. With cruise on and going 55mph I shifted back and forth between 5th and 6th a number of times. Cruise remained on between shifts. RPMs only went to what was appropriate for that gear and speed ( 2100 for 6th, 2500 for 5th). No revhang. If you kept the clutch in for over 2 seconds then the cruise disengaged. Cruise also disengaged with tapping of the brake pedal.

shire123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also tested the rate of acceleration with the cruise control with the Econ on. It took about 2 seconds for each 1mph gain. Not a lot on the face of it, but probably an eternity for many drivers. Also don't try it that way with drivers behind you. They will have some not nice words for you.

SHIFTY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic ex-t coupe 6-spd
I live in Saskatchewan, so hills are speed bumps, lol, so can't comment on that part. But the cruise works great for me. I never use the cruise to gain speed, I use the throttle and hit set, and thats it. As the cruise doesn't turn off until you actually turn it off. Turning the car off doesn't turn it off either. It just doesn't save your speed.... I think. Gonna test it on my way home tonight.

fshams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T (6 speed Manual)
Country flag
So I'm getting a new Civic Sedan EX-T 2017 manual transmission soon and I can't find out whether or not it has cruise control. Does anybody know if it does?
Yes it does... I also have a 2017 EX-T with 6 speed manual.
Sponsored