OP
justasimpleman

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
I think if you do CC for fuel economy, you definitely should be on ECON, because it changes some behaviors of the CC/ACC. For example it might not pursue the set speed so rigorously.
But generally, a driver trying to save gas will do better. CC will only beat on mpg a driver driving his normal undisciplined style with constant pushing back and forth of all the pedals available in the car.
i donā€™t think Econ makes much difference on that either. When I had my 6mt sport sedan, I ALWAYS had it on eco, and pretty much had same CC habits Iā€™ve been using with my hatch. Gas mileage was pretty similar. I pretty much never use eco on my hatch, unless Iā€™m on a loooong highway drive.
I never use CC at all as I feel bored when computer controls the car and I get sleepy :D
Iā€™ve always mainly used it thinking Iā€™m saving gas... gonna stop unless I feel too lazy to use the pedals lol.
Sponsored

HalfBreed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sport Sedan, 2.0 CVT
Country flag
I would not take that computer as gospel because of course you are not getting 46 MPG to begin with. If so that means you could go 600 miles on a tank a Prius doesn't even do that. To test this you can fill up your tank to the brim then see how far you get on it. Most I have gotten is 450 miles which is 37MPG and that is with eco always on and I don't speed. If MPG is important to you I would use the ECO button you can always turn it off if you want to.
My MPG is always higher with Econ mode off. Doesn't seem to make sense, but that was my experience (and after reading stories from others, many have had the same experience).

I haven't turned it back on ever since I realized it didn't appear to do anything positive.

Bail

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic si
Country flag
This was about an hours drive at around 90 km/h about 95% cruise, different terrain up, down and flat. On the highway I can get dangerously close to that bouncing between 100-110 on cruise as well. I have an Si maybe the extra power makes a difference?

Honda Civic 10th gen Cruise control hurting gas mileage?? 20200815_032030

OP
OP
justasimpleman

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
Lol. Thatā€™s from you going so fast. Speed makes a significant difference in mpg.

Bail

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic si
Country flag
Lol. Thatā€™s from you going so fast. Speed makes a significant difference in mpg.
Well that's 5L/100km, 47.043MPG, pretty good. But you're probably right could be better if I went a little slower.

Osobigg

Grand Sky Marshal of the North
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Hatchback 6MT Polished Metal
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This was about an hours drive at around 90 km/h about 95% cruise, different terrain up, down and flat. On the highway I can get dangerously close to that bouncing between 100-110 on cruise as well. I have an Si maybe the extra power makes a difference?

20200815_032030.jpg
I got similar fuel economy driving Calgary to Vancouver, but my recorded mileage was 5.23l/100km.

I use Road Trip on iOS for tracking fuel economy

Bail

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic si
Country flag
I got similar fuel economy driving Calgary to Vancouver, but my recorded mileage was 5.23l/100km.

I use Road Trip on iOS for tracking fuel economy
This was on the other side of the country in Cape Breton on the Cabot trail going into Cheticamp. Wicked fuel mileage regardless.

aman_u

First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback Sport touring 2018
Country flag
So i live like 20ish miles outside of the city, and thereā€™s a road I take pretty much every time to go back n forth... majority of the time, I use cruise control figuring itā€™s helping keep the mpgs up. Leaving, I get it to around 35ish, coming home 38-40ish.

last couple times going home, for whatever reason I forgot to turn on CC, and the mileage was easily at 40+. This morning I left, and it was also 40+.

I pretty much never use eco. Driving roughly 60-65ish mph.

In the pic below, top is leaving this morning, and bottom is coming home last night...
116C05D9-A849-4646-B019-DBF0D3C71369.jpeg
i have noticed this before as well. However for me it is normally not too big of a difference

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I literally thought there was something wrong with my car, coming from a '17 sport to '19 sport touring and I couldn't get close to same MPG. Well my foot must have gained a few pounds when I put on the Type R spoiler as my first mod.... Because I was able to average 37 on my way to work this morning. It's really a matter of full-blown trying to get the highest mpg you can get.

And this is not done with cruise control. For my trip, I notice that cruise control tends to eat up anywhere from 2-4 mpg compared to feathering the throttle. I definitely forgot how to do this, and now that I'm tuned I've been trying to dial back my driving in hopes of keeping the reliability way up there while being able to enjoy myself. At this point if I'm going to go for mpg's, I won't be using cruise control.

Interesting tidbit though.... You can drive 350 miles averaging 33mpg, and then do 2 hard pulls and now your mpg sits at 32 for the trip. That blew my mind yesterday. Obviously WOT gulps gas, but I didn't think it would immediately drop down the average for the whole trip 1mpg. You live and learn lol....
Sponsored