First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport Touring Hatchback, 2019 Type R. 2021 CRV Black Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Haven’t owned a manual in many years, now in this 2019 sport touring.

Today while driving with the cruise control on, I popped it into neutral while approaching a stop sign and the engine revved right up, nearly to red line. Did it twice.

Now generally speaking I get the concept that cruise is to maintain revs, but I’m guessing this isn’t correct.

Car is Hondata tuned.
Sponsored

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Haven’t owned a manual in many years, now in this 2019 sport touring.

Today while driving with the cruise control on, I popped it into neutral while approaching a stop sign and the engine revved right up, nearly to red line. Did it twice.

Now generally speaking I get the concept that cruise is to maintain revs, but I’m guessing this isn’t correct.

Car is Hondata tuned.
The concept of cruise is to maintain speed, not revs. I don’t think it cares what gear you’re in. When it sensed the car slowing down, it kept increasing the throttle. Hopefully there is a limiter that would prevent exceeding red line.

On cars I’ve owned, cruise control disengages when either the brake or clutch is depressed. Did you slip it into neutral without depressing the clutch?

OP
OP
Rayzorman1

Rayzorman1

I bleed Honda red.......
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The concept of cruise is to maintain speed, not revs. I don’t think it cares what gear you’re in. When it sensed the car slowing down, it kept increasing the throttle. Hopefully there is a limiter that would prevent exceeding red line.

On cars I’ve owned, cruise control disengages when either the brake or clutch is depressed. Did you slip it into neutral without depressing the clutch?
Depressed the clutch.... Now I know something is wrong....

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Hmm I want to do some testing myself now...
Edit: It wouldn't have anything to do with your ACC/Sensing would it?
Edit Edit: Wait, does the 2019 sport touring even offer a manual?

OP
OP
Rayzorman1

Rayzorman1

I bleed Honda red.......
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hmm I want to do some testing myself now...
Edit: It wouldn't have anything to do with your ACC/Sensing would it?
Edit Edit: Wait, does the 2019 sport touring even offer a manual?
Canada yes......

OP
OP
Rayzorman1

Rayzorman1

I bleed Honda red.......
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ya, sounds like a trip to the dealer is needed. I don’t know anything about tuning ... could that be the cause?
Just went out and tested it and it worked as it should, no rev spike.

The tune is the only change, and disabling the rev hang is confirmed by Hondata to cause the cruise control to surge.

I will keep an eye on it. Thanks guys.

joshhjackson2112

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI
Country flag
My Si does that every now and then. It has never done it bad enough to cause major alarm. Car just gets confused sometimes I guess. My major beef with the CC on a manual is the strain put on the clutch when in a high gear going up a hill. Deff take control of the throttle when going up a steep hill during CC. The turbo will build up boost to compensate. Not good in high gears.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Never had a problem on my Sport. Press clutch, change gears, depress and acts like I was shifting myself while in cruise.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
You can change gears while in cruise control without CC turning off. Only pressing the brake pedal or hitting the cancel button will turn CC off.
Never had a problem on my Sport. Press clutch, change gears, depress and acts like I was shifting myself while in cruise.
Interesting. Under what circumstances would you want to change gears while in cruise control?

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
My car does this too if I shift to neutral and release the clutch, it didn't have any aftermarket tune on it when it first happened to me. I adjusted my driving style after it happend a few times, so I haven't tested it with my KTuner tune.

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
Interesting. Under what circumstances would you want to change gears while in cruise control?
If CC has to slow down because of a slower car in front of me, I might need to down shift to get back up to speed, or if (for example) I’m in 5th, and will be on a long stretch of highway, I’ll shift into 6th.

Plenty of other scenarios, but those are two of the first that came to mind.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If I'm in 5th and want to lower the revs because I'm no longer climbing a hill while still maintaining same speed then it works. Ever notice that the engine doesn't like being under 2k rpm in 3rd+. Then it begins to bog.

OP
OP
Rayzorman1

Rayzorman1

I bleed Honda red.......
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My Si does that every now and then. It has never done it bad enough to cause major alarm. Car just gets confused sometimes I guess. My major beef with the CC on a manual is the strain put on the clutch when in a high gear going up a hill. Deff take control of the throttle when going up a steep hill during CC. The turbo will build up boost to compensate. Not good in high gears.

My car does this too if I shift to neutral and release the clutch, it didn't have any aftermarket tune on it when it first happened to me. I adjusted my driving style after it happend a few times, so I haven't tested it with my KTuner tune.
I feel better knowing that others have experienced this. Startled the hell out of me and made me think I was crazy!

Now that I know its a possibility, I will adjust accordingly.
Sponsored