LilJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW FK8 / 2000 GPW AP1
Country flag
Prior to buying my CTR I cross shopped the Veloster N. Unfortunately I checked out both the CTR and the Veloster N while at our auto show here in Milwaukee. This meant I was only able to look at and sit in the cars not drive them. The bottom line for me was the Veloster N felt incredibly cheap and unrefined on the inside. Most surfaces are hard plastic, the seats were meh and it all overall just felt like a cheap economy car. The R on the other hand had higher end materials, the seats were fantastic and the resale market is great if you need to sell your R used. At the end of the day I went with the R. The N just was not up to my standards to save a few thousand dollars. Just my .02.
Sponsored

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I just went back to the dealer service to pick up my civic sedan.

I took Wife to have a look at the Type R BBP. Wife said it was horrible. My inner youngster died a little bit.

End of the type R road for me, pals.
Did she just not like the looks, or did you actually get to take her on a test drive? My wife loves the passenger seat - once she is in it, getting in and out, especially out, not as easy as some other cars, but otherwise has not issue with it. Of course I made sure I got it in a color she liked too.
Hate to see you give up on your dreams...

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was thinking the same thing.

I mean I'm glad that other guy loves his base Civic hatch. But to say he'd take a base hatch over the Biermann designed Veloster N is well beyond fanboy-ism.
Okay, sorry I misread that obviously. Your comment is on point.

Snmtazz70

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
500HP 2019 Honda Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I had 2 velosters. Yes, I did like them for what they were; however, the CTR is a totally different ride and performs much better. Also, the 3rd door is a pain in the ass to get in and out, but it has more room than you would think. 3 door compared to a 4 door car with better performance.

OP
OP
Crazy Kanga

Crazy Kanga

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport Sedan MT
Country flag
So I could test drive both the VN and the CTR. The VN was new (thanks Hyundai Buffalo for that), while I had to borrow a coworker's 2017 CTR (Honda Rochester were not keen on letting me test drive theirs)

Here are my impressions. Pls bear in mind that I try to be as objective as possible, and that this is based upon a short test drive only, I could not track them obviously:

- Looks: I have to give them to the VN. Although I like the CTR, I'm afraid it is a bit too much for every day. The VN is more plain, it resonates with me more.

- Interior: the CTR wins. It feels superior in almost every aspect. However, I have to say that I was surprised with the VN. Actually the drivers seat and surroundings are very well sorted out imo. The steering wheel is fantastic. In any case, I think that each interior is subpar according to each car price range.

- Ergonomics: Each car has its ups and downs. The shifter in the CTR is incredible, just such a pleasure to shift. The stick in the VN, although worse than the CTR, is not bad at all, I enjoyed it. Pedal placement goes to the VN. Although of inferior quality, it is easier to heel and toe. Seats: very good on both. However, there is a deal breaker for me in the VN. Me being 6ft3 - 6ft4, I felt waaaaay more comfortable in the CTR. The seat in the VN does not go as low as in the CTR, so my line of sight was closer to the top of the windshield than in the CTR, where I had no problem at all. Also, the stick is placed in a more comfy position in the CTR. The central console the CTR is just fantastically designed.

- Practicality: Obviously CTR wins by a large margin, no doubt about this.

- Performance on the street: They both felt similar to me. I could drive at 7 or 8 tens at most, and they both felt equally fast to me. They are both fantastic products.

- Fun factor: this one is subjective... to me ... this goes to the VN, no doubt. It feels more visceral, more raucous, more of a hooligan car. It's interesting how the one with the more sober looks is actually the most aggressive. Those exhaust sounds are wonderful. I smiled more on the VN than on the CTR. Also, you can tailor your preferred settings, and the rev matching can be disabled in a button.

In conclusion ... For me, the VN is a better fun-per-dollar car, while the CTR is more aseptic, refined and a better everyday car. Tough choice. However, for tall people like me, the CTR is the winner.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Spot on review IMO.

In the end the CTR is the more refined, higher quality car. But it's amazing the strides Hyundai is making.

Last edited:

Litfuse

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered CTR
Country flag
So I could test drive both the VN and the CTR. The VN was new (thanks Hyundai Buffalo for that), while I had to borrow a coworker's 2017 CTR (Honda Rochester were not keen on letting me test drive theirs)

Here are my impressions. Pls bear in mind that I try to be as objective as possible, and that this is based upon a short test drive only, I could not track them obviously:

- Looks: I have to give them to the VN. Although I like the CTR, I'm afraid it is a bit too much for every day. The VN is more plain, it resonates with me more.

- Interior: the CTR wins. It feels superior in almost every aspect. However, I have to say that I was surprised with the VN. Actually the drivers seat and surroundings are very well sorted out imo. The steering wheel is fantastic. In any case, I think that each interior is subpar according to each car price range.

- Ergonomics: Each car has its ups and downs. The shifter in the CTR is incredible, just such a pleasure to shift. The stick in the VN, although worse than the CTR, is not bad at all, I enjoyed it. Pedal placement goes to the VN. Although of inferior quality, it is easier to heel and toe. Seats: very good on both. However, there is a deal breaker for me in the VN. Me being 6ft3 - 6ft4, I felt waaaaay more comfortable in the CTR. The seat in the VN does not go as low as in the CTR, so my line of sight was closer to the top of the windshield than in the CTR, where I had no problem at all. Also, the stick is placed in a more comfy position in the CTR. The central console the CTR is just fantastically designed.

- Performance on the street: They both felt similar to me. I could drive at 7 or 8 tens at most, and they both felt equally fast to me. They are both fantastic products.

- Fun factor: this one is subjective... to me ... this goes to the VN, no doubt. It feels more visceral, more raucous, more of a hooligan car. It's interesting how the one with the more sober looks is actually the most aggressive. Those exhaust sounds are wonderful. I smiled more on the VN than on the CTR. Also, you can tailor your preferred settings, and the rev matching can be disabled in a button.

In conclusion ... For me, the VN is a better fun-per-dollar car, while the CTR is more aseptic, refined and a better everyday car. Tough choice. However, for tall people like me, the CTR is the winner.
I agree with your assessment. I find it funny when people call the CTR raw and visceral. I just try to imagine what other cars they are comparing the CTR to when they say that. In my opinion, capable and refined are better ways to describe the CTR.
I enjoyed how the N drove, but the quality and resale value (I don’t keep my cars for long) scared me away.

Negitoro7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Winter beater currently
Country flag
I agree with his assessment too based on what I know about the Veloster N (the two Hyundai dealers I’ve dealt with, are utterly incompetent). I’ve only driven the Type R.

The Type R is quite sterile at city speeds, which can be a good or bad thing depending on your preferences and mood. In the city, it’s hardly more exciting than all the manual Hondas and Acuras I’ve ever had, while feeling like a large and cumbersome vehicle at parking lot speeds, with a wide turning radius. I’d imagine the Veloster N would be substantially more fun and manoeuvrable in the city. Really hoping Honda will give the next Type R a rowdy exhaust setting, as slim of a chance as it may be.

OP
OP
Crazy Kanga

Crazy Kanga

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport Sedan MT
Country flag
I agree with his assessment too based on what I know about the Veloster N (the two Hyundai dealers I’ve dealt with, are utterly incompetent). I’ve only driven the Type R.

The Type R is quite sterile at city speeds, which can be a good or bad thing depending on your preferences and mood. In the city, it’s hardly more exciting than all the manual Hondas and Acuras I’ve ever had, while feeling like a large and cumbersome vehicle at parking lot speeds, with a wide turning radius. I’d imagine the Veloster N would be substantially more fun and manoeuvrable in the city. Really hoping Honda will give the next Type R a rowdy exhaust setting, as slim of a chance as it may be.
You bring up an interesting dilemma ... next gen type R.... I don't really like the prototype pictures I've seen ... would it be worth to wait for it to come up?

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I agree with your assessment. I find it funny when people call the CTR raw and visceral. I just try to imagine what other cars they are comparing the CTR to when they say that. In my opinion, capable and refined are better ways to describe the CTR.
I enjoyed how the N drove, but the quality and resale value (I don’t keep my cars for long) scared me away.
After test driving a WRX STI I can say that the STI is triple the raw and visceral feeling of the Type R. It's hella fun in the way it drives. Yeah it's dated, but that's part of it's appeal.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Personally I have owned both. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask away !

IMG_4565.jpg
Those bronze wheels on your N look superb on the car.

Enkei TSV?

I'd also like to hear your N vs. R thoughts.

Last edited:

Litfuse

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered CTR
Country flag
After test driving a WRX STI I can say that the STI is triple the raw and visceral feeling of the Type R. It's hella fun in the way it drives. Yeah it's dated, but that's part of it's appeal.
I agree and at times I think I may have purchased the wrong vehicle. I may be putting my 600 miles 2021 CTR up for sale soon.

michaeljf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 CTR LE (AUS-008)
Country flag
Which is where the i30N hatch or fastback really makes a difference day to day. The Veloster body shape just limits the utility of the platform.
Sponsored