Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not on a team. I love Honda and think the R is amazing. What I find sad is the huge bias against the N. It's as if some of you feel like it's sacrilegious to even compliment the thing.

"It's a Hyundai, resale sucks, it'll be good in 20 years, Honda is God-like".
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bobbyt

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Country flag
Pretty clear most Honda owners are still fairly biased regarding Hyundai. Just makes all those guys making the plunge to Biermann's N models grin even more knowing so many people won't give them a chance (making their cars rarer).

I wish they'd bring over the i20N. It's a small hatch sort of in the Fiesta ST mold. Around 205 hp & tq in a car only weighing 2600 pounds.

2021-Hyundai-i20-N-Specs.jpg
hyundai-i20-n-driving-front-1-lead-scaled.jpg
And some people think the type r is ugly lmao

HustedDrums

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type-R
Country flag
I'm not on a team. I love Honda and think the R is amazing. What I find sad is the huge bias against the N. It's as if some of you feel like it's sacrilegious to even compliment the thing.

"It's a Hyundai, resale sucks, it'll be good in 20 years, Honda is God-like".
Nobody is discrediting Hyundai. I work for Hyundai as a salesman. The N is a great product and platform. It has its place in the performance market. It is definitely a great value - but there is no denying the facts.

You can put 15k down in the Veloster N and it still won't be worth what you trade it in for. Everyone knows on this forum how well the resale is on the Honda. I make purchases with the future in mind. Life is unpredictable. You do not know where you are going to be, what your needs will be like 2-3 years down the road. I like the comfort of knowing I could get out of my Type R whenever I want without losing my marbles.

All I'm saying is, your money is worth more in the future purchasing a R.

chattanoogaR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stinger
Country flag
All I'm saying is, your money is worth more in the future purchasing a R.
Maybe, with some of the ridiculous ADM I've seen people on here pay, maybe not.

But yes, if one does not over pay for an R they certainly have the better odds of slower depreciation.

Important to note as well for those looking at the N, they offer ridiculous incentives to move them as the market is not nearly as strong for it.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag

HustedDrums

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type-R
Country flag
Maybe, with some of the ridiculous ADM I've seen people on here pay, maybe not.

But yes, if one does not over pay for an R they certainly have the better odds of slower depreciation.

Important to note as well for those looking at the N, they offer ridiculous incentives to move them as the market is not nearly as strong for it.
There's actually currently no incentives on the Veloster N's right now. I sold a Performance Blue one a week and a half ago to a guy in NY. Paid MSRP.

They are all performance packages now so they're going for MSRP. I don't think they will discount them anymore. I know when they offered a Performance and non-performance pack they had some incentives but all we have right now is the low APR (1.9-2.9% APR).

chattanoogaR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stinger
Country flag
There's actually currently no incentives on the Veloster N's right now. I sold a Performance Blue one a week and a half ago to a guy in NY. Paid MSRP.
That's the northeast for you.

Dealers in the southeast have not moved them well at all and I've seen many with as much as $5k off of MSRP. (For 2020 models)

For 2021 they smartened up about offering the "performance pack" standard, and offering an auto should help it appeal to a wider base, but they are still not flying off of lots by any means.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I found that the Veloster N mimics the driving feel of a VW or Audi performance car. They accelerate in a linear fashion and are quite comfortable (mostly), but the steering is much less communicative. I wouldn't really be keen on using the Veloster N as a track car, but I actually prefer it as a GT car. Softer shifter, better cabin sound, softer steering (without being too loose) - all qualities that one avoids in a track car but makes for a comfortable GT car. It's plenty sharp enough for spirited street driving, but it's definitely most at home on long, winding scenic roads.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This fuckin clown... Hyundai build quality has yet to prove itself to the world...

And his VN will be worth about $5500 with 100k on it...

1615401812095.png

The LDE is strong with that guy

... And he's a moderator ?

ts13

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Here's a nice look at the new DCT version. The reviewer is nice too. ;)

I watched this a couple of weeks ago- makes you think. When it is time to change cars I WILL check out the 2022/23 versions which should be even nicer.

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2020
Country flag
Like my friend Han said... "You think I'm going to let you roll around in a Hyundai...?" ;)

I don't like the body lines... looks like a raced out loaf of bread... (i don't like the way Honda is supposedly going to go more conservative on the 2022 CTR either :/) Honda CTR overall is a car of higher integrity. Went to the car meet here Saturday night... the Veloster crowd was right with the Scion crowd which was right next to the 2 bubble gum chewing Yaris GRs. A lot of USED TUNED BMW's with Victoria Secret panty colors paint jobs.... STi & WRX crowd that like keeping their ski racks on the roofs (guess it's still winter over here near the mountains) ... have the drift boyz.. uhh Nissan 370s crowd, no Toyota Supras here... although there was the 86 & BRZ brotherhood, then you have the wanker Golf gang (drive around terrorizing the night with their custom exhausts) and last but not least... the muscle car crowd... proud owners of pure breed V8's that are on the opposite side of the border with their arms folded frowning down upon everyone else! =) No civic type r's that night (except me driving by...)but oh I forgot the most notorious cars of them all... Civics... all sorts of them in the ghetto area of the meet ;)

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...r-versus-hyundai-veloster-n-hot-hatch-battle/

Last edited:

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
Like my friend Han said... "You think I'm going to let you roll around in a Hyundai...?" ;)
Hahaha! :thumbsup: Perfect line for this thread!

But to be fair the Veloster N wasn’t out back then. Maybe Han would have a change of heart after driving the Veloster N.:dunno:

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
Hi All,

I was wondering who on the forum cross shopped the CTR with the Veloster N and what made you choose the CTR.

I was thinking on upgrading my base civic for next year into a CTR, but the N seems hard to beat. Those exhaust crackles and pops....
Have you gotten to drive either car yet? Might work on that so you can form your opinion.

Both cars are close to each other performance wise. Really splitting hairs. Looks are on a case by case deal. Price can be a decision maker. Exhaust, etc...

Everything is all hype and speculation until you experience each car yourself. Go for some test drives.
Sponsored