First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si sedan
Country flag
Hi All,

I was wondering who on the forum cross shopped the CTR with the Veloster N and what made you choose the CTR.

I was thinking on upgrading my base civic for next year into a CTR, but the N seems hard to beat. Those exhaust crackles and pops....
I own a 20 civic si and I chose it after watching the throttle house video between the veloster turbo and the civic si, n or r aside the civic is simply a better car in my opinion
Sponsored

JayeGee

JaysCTR2528
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 EK HATCH EJ6 & 2017 CTR FK8
Country flag
Hi All,

I was wondering who on the forum cross shopped the CTR with the Veloster N and what made you choose the CTR.

I was thinking on upgrading my base civic for next year into a CTR, but the N seems hard to beat. Those exhaust crackles and pops....
I have a friend at work that has a N it is a fun car and i wouldn't mind having one for a daily then use my ctr on the weekends lol

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Econo box on steroids vs the power of dreams.

I say if I had that budget for a car I would drive neither of those tho, I would want something that push from the back wheels.

timtzotz

First Name
timtzotz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R (SGP); 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek
Country flag
Here's a nice look at the new DCT version. The reviewer is nice too. ;)

The host Sarahntuned is as good a reviewer as Raiti's Rides on YouTube. She has a couple of other reviews on the R and the N. She is torn between the two so it may help you to compare the reviews. Best scenes in all of them is when she his the breaks hard!

StanMan

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Without going into much detail, CTR is simply a better car and it's not even remotely close. The difference between the Veloster N and the regular Veloster is very minimal- less than the difference between a stock Civic and an Si. The Type R is a meticulously engineered purpose built device and that is why it has M3 level track performance. Watch the savagegeese review of the Veloster N.

The N is a decently good car but that's the way it is. Hyundai needs a couple decades of making really good cars before you should cross shop them with Honda. Reliability, depreciation, and how the cars hold up after a few years are all things Hyundai has not proven themselves on yet.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Comparing it to an Audi, the CTR does feel more frantic. I have an Audi as well. I expect that in that car. But when you drive the CTR back to back with the STI, GTI and the N, there is an emotional detachment. I think it depends what you are comparing the CTR to. When I jump out of my CTR into my Audi, it’s a huge difference. When I get out of my CTR into my Miata, I keep thinking, “The CTR needs more of this!” As I giggle and laugh at its immediacy and responsiveness.
I think that depends on the Audi in the comparison. No doubt that my Type R has better steering feel and more raw feedback than my Mk2 TTRS, but I'd never think of that 5-cylinder howl as emotionally detached. Less connected in turns, definitely, but plenty frantic for reasons all its own.

Now if we're comparing to an S3, that's an entirely different story.

StanMan

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
But when you drive the CTR back to back with the STI, GTI and the N, there is an emotional detachment. I think it depends what you are comparing the CTR to.
I think you're confusing that those cars at any given speed or corner are MUCH closer to their limits than the CTR is- the CTR is extremely well balanced and planted. The CTR can go a hell of a lot faster around whatever corner you're driving around than those mentioned and you better believe it'll get real fun real fast if you push it close to its limits.

Litfuse

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered CTR
Country flag
I think you're confusing that those cars at any given speed or corner are MUCH closer to their limits than the CTR is- the CTR is extremely well balanced and planted. The CTR can go a hell of a lot faster around whatever corner you're driving around than those mentioned and you better believe it'll get real fun real fast if you push it close to its limits.
I agree, the CTR is much more capable. That doesn’t make it any more fun in its execution. It depends what you are going for. If you want precision and a fwd car, the CTR is your choice. I like a little hooligan in my car and that is where the CTR lacks.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
CTR is simply a better car and it's not even remotely close.

The difference between the Veloster N and the regular Veloster is very minimal- less than the difference between a stock Civic and an Si.

Hyundai needs a couple decades of making really good cars before you should cross shop them with Honda. Reliability, depreciation, and how the cars hold up after a few years are all things Hyundai has not proven themselves on yet.
I agree, the Type R is a "better" car, but a good portion of what you wrote is not even remotely accurate. I get it, you're preaching to a Honda board but the OP was looking for objectivity.

For starters to say the difference between a regular Veloster Turbo and a Veloster N is like the difference between a regular Civic Turbo and an Si is ludicrous. I mean the N uses a different engine than the non-N. Forgetting the N's multitude of upgrades, like the limited slip diff, let's just look at the power number difference.

2021 Veloster Turbo - 201 hp / 195 tq
2021 Veloster N - 275 hp / 260 tq (overboost button gives you 278tq for a short time)

And Hyundai still needs a couple decades to catch up to Honda quality? I got news for you, this isn't 1987.

I've owned Hondas for 20+ years and Hyundai/Kias for 15. The gap is getting noticeably smaller and in some areas Hyundai has surpassed Honda build quality.

The Type R? It's nothing less then the best Civic ever and a world class hot hatch. The Veloster N is a helluva good effort from Biermann and Hyundai. The choice boils down to personal preference, driving style and budget.

Just because you wouldn't touch a Hyundai with a 10 foot pole doesn't mean the OP shouldn't even consider it.

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
When I jump out of my CTR into my Audi, it’s a huge difference. When I get out of my CTR into my Miata, I keep thinking, “The CTR needs more of this!” As I giggle and laugh at its immediacy and responsiveness.
Heh, yeah, always thought a Miata would be a hoot, but no way I can have a car like that up here, a car I'd have to store half the year. I will say that the CTR is, to me, more visceral by far than my Golf R was, though I'd agree that my old WRX and GTI came pretty damn close in terms of just plain fun.

What it really reminds of though is my old Mustang GT. Not in performance--the CTR is far and away a much higher performing car than the GT I had in the mid-late 1980s. But that car too was just fun, and equally unpretentious.

mauiSI19

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Fk a Hyundai
My cousins husband has a 500whp 2012 sonata ?my 260whp si doesn’t like him. ?

Honda Civic 10th gen Cross shopping with Veloster N 7D188C1D-7F26-419B-AAED-C79000F8BF50

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
My buddy just bought a Veloster N. Paint quality is significantly worse than the R. Still Hyundai quality. Shifter is decent and the exhaust sounds better.

Type r is still the superior car by far.

jrho

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R LE (#30 CAD), 2004 S2000
Country flag
In Canada the price difference between the two is a little under $10k. I was considering both as well because they get compared a lot.

A lot of the points have been made by others already but what ultimately made me go the Honda direction was it was more usable as a package since it's bigger, more hatch space, and traditional 4 door layout. The Veloster was very fun to drive and playful in it's manner but I wasn't a huge fan of how dark the car felt because of the smaller rear glass and the interior was felt lesser in quality. I see and hear a Veloster N drive in my area quite often and it does sound great stock compared to how sterile the CTR sounds. Ultimately it's what you're looking for and the purposes of the car.

A fun fact is that Hyundai and Kia actually can pass on savings because they do a vast majority of parts manufacturing in house compared to other manufacturers (Hyundai owns their own shipping, steel manufacturing, etc.). Hyundai have definitely come up in quality in recent years and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their products from a quality stand point. If anything, Hondas quality has dropped in the past years and other manufacturers have caught up or exceeded. I get it's a Honda forum but that doesn't mean it's the best brand in the world...

Litfuse

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered CTR
Country flag
Here lies the problem with when someone asks for advice on what car to buy, what oil to use or what brand of gas. So many opinions, the only thing that ends up happening is frustration and people’s egos getting hurt.
To no fault of the OP, all they are trying to do is find information. Take this thread as one point of information. Ultimately, you’ll have to drive each one of them, weigh the pros and cons of each and see if you can live with the cons of your selection and do the pros tickle your fancy enough. The pros of the CTR over the other models I was looking at was the available interior space. The interior has a good layout and well packaged. The other pro is the overall performance that I may or may not exploit on a track day. I won’t be able to on the street. So the question I need to answer for myself is does the higher performance capabilities out weigh the lack of character? I’m going to take some time to decide. OP, I suggest taking time as well. Multiple test drives as possible and decide what cons you identify for each car and which ones are you able to live with.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
In Canada the price difference between the two is a little under $10k. I was considering both as well because they get compared a lot.

A lot of the points have been made by others already but what ultimately made me go the Honda direction was it was more usable as a package since it's bigger, more hatch space, and traditional 4 door layout. The Veloster was very fun to drive and playful in it's manner but I wasn't a huge fan of how dark the car felt because of the smaller rear glass and the interior was felt lesser in quality. I see and hear a Veloster N drive in my area quite often and it does sound great stock compared to how sterile the CTR sounds. Ultimately it's what you're looking for and the purposes of the car.

A fun fact is that Hyundai and Kia actually can pass on savings because they do a vast majority of parts manufacturing in house compared to other manufacturers (Hyundai owns their own shipping, steel manufacturing, etc.). Hyundai have definitely come up in quality in recent years and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their products from a quality stand point. If anything, Hondas quality has dropped in the past years and other manufacturers have caught up or exceeded. I get it's a Honda forum but that doesn't mean it's the best brand in the world...
The interior is definitely super cheap feeling (even compared to the Type R, which is pretty heavy on the plastic). The 2020 models introduced new alcantera race seats with a backlit N logo that completely eliminated my complaints there, but it's still a lot of plastic otherwise.
Sponsored