First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport Sedan MT
Country flag
Hi All,

I was wondering who on the forum cross shopped the CTR with the Veloster N and what made you choose the CTR.

I was thinking on upgrading my base civic for next year into a CTR, but the N seems hard to beat. Those exhaust crackles and pops....
Sponsored

princeRS

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hi All,

I was wondering who on the forum cross shopped the CTR with the Veloster N and what made you choose the CTR.

I was thinking on upgrading my base civic for next year into a CTR, but the N seems hard to beat. Those exhaust crackles and pops....
its a hyundai...

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
To be fair, you should also ask the same question at a Veloster forum to see why they chose an N over an R. ;)

Thing is though, it doesn't matter what anyone else says. Get the car YOU like best.

OP
OP
Crazy Kanga

Crazy Kanga

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'd be willing to be used N's aren't selling at MSRP prices...
This is one of the main reasons for me to pick the N. CTRs aren't selling at MSRP where I live, which makes up to more than $6k difference between both cars

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Plus the 2021 N has some nice improvements like the incredible new seats and performance pack standard. They're both fantastic cars.

I'd say the R is slightly better technically but the N has more personality.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Hi All,

I would have cross shopped the two if the N was around when I was thinking about picking up the Type R. I would have found out that the seating position, due to my short stature, would require me to grind my shin against the dash every time I wanted to depress the clutch pedal. That said, you get about 85-90% of the performance of the Type R for like 75% of the price, it's pretty dang good.

Other things to look at though, would be the mod community and how strong it is. Both cars have this growing right now with power numbers being pushed. But if you're planning on modding, it's important to see what kind of support and the cost of parts and install. Even comparing what an FBO setup on both looks like and final costs of both.

Regarding crackles and pops. I drove my friend's MKV Supra a little while back. Fantastically fast car (even the 330 HP variant), felt very similar to my Type R at its peak to be honest. The crackles and pops were fun at first, but they got tiring and annoying after the 5th pop-pop-pop... It's always the same pop-pop-pop too; makes it sound very mechanical. From the reviews, the N would have similar issues with that regard. I'd end up turning that feature off completely, though I do understand on the N it's also used to try to combat turbo lag.

OP
OP
Crazy Kanga

Crazy Kanga

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
theres no comparing the build quality of ANY hyundai vs ANY honda product
I do not understand why you get so fanatic about Hondas.... Veloster N has been designed by BMW M ex-engineers, so they knew what they were doing, it is not that hard to acknowledge that....

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
theres no comparing the build quality of ANY hyundai vs ANY honda product
So I owned several Hondas back in the day... Civic, Integra, CRX. They were awesome. Then I owned a couple Hyundais and I was shocked how well built they were. Matter of fact, my 10th gen Civic has more rattles and worse paint than my Hyundai products.

This isn't the Hyundai of the 80's. They're run by the former Audi lead designer Peter Schreyer and the performance division is run by Albert Biermann who used to run BMW's M division.

OP
OP
Crazy Kanga

Crazy Kanga

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would have cross shopped the two if the N was around when I was thinking about picking up the Type R. I would have found out that the seating position, due to my short stature, would require me to grind my shin against the dash every time I wanted to depress the clutch pedal. That said, you get about 85-90% of the performance of the Type R for like 75% of the price, it's pretty dang good.

Other things to look at though, would be the mod community and how strong it is. Both cars have this growing right now with power numbers being pushed. But if you're planning on modding, it's important to see what kind of support and the cost of parts and install. Even comparing what an FBO setup on both looks like and final costs of both.

Regarding crackles and pops. I drove my friend's MKV Supra a little while back. Fantastically fast car (even the 330 HP variant), felt very similar to my Type R at its peak to be honest. The crackles and pops were fun at first, but they got tiring and annoying after the 5th pop-pop-pop... It's always the same pop-pop-pop too; makes it sound very mechanical. From the reviews, the N would have similar issues with that regard. I'd end up turning that feature off completely, though I do understand on the N it's also used to try to combat turbo lag.
That's a good point, I bet the pop-pop-pop gets tiring in the long run. Thanks!

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
It may be hard to beat now but once you go to sell the Hyundai you will notice the selling price difference compared to a Honda. Korean cars are nice to begin with but when the miles start increasing then you really see why they're cheaper. Money pits after a few years.

princeRS

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
It may be hard to beat now but once you go to sell the Hyundai you will notice the selling price difference compared to a Honda. Korean cars are nice to begin with but when the miles start increasing then you really see why they're cheaper. Money pits after a few years.
this^^^

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Hi All,

I didn't even consider it, just don't care for the rear end of it and I feel the Type R a much superior car. I feel the Veloster N is kinda like the new Neon SRT - Neat - glad it exists - but not in my garage.
Sponsored