tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
That's a good point, I bet the pop-pop-pop gets tiring in the long run. Thanks!
Honestly though, test drive them both (might be easier to test drive used). Compare their interiors, driving positions, etc. Sit in the back seat and have the salesman drive you around for a little while if you care about passengers. Look at hatch space, etc. Look into forums to see what the major issues are on both platforms. Choose the car that suits you best.
Sponsored

princeRS

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
i will say the dct option is nice if youre worried about a manual. im sure the veloster also doesnt come with 20’s and seeing how OP is in NY, the roads here are terrible

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a nice look at the new DCT version. The reviewer is nice too. ;)

Chrisp1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Type R, 12' Mustang, 05' STI
Country flag
honestly Im a car enthusiast but at the end of the day its a hyundai..reliability, resale, fit and finish, aftermarket support, practicality etc will all go Hondas way. Don't even have to mention the performance.

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's why I told the guy to ask the same question at a Veloster forum as well. For the most part, there won't be many unbiased opinions here.

I'm out.

OP
OP
Crazy Kanga

Crazy Kanga

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport Sedan MT
Country flag
That's why I told the guy to ask the same question at a Veloster forum as well. For the most part, there won't be many unbiased opinions here.

I'm out.
Fanboys being fanboys lol

REC13

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1999 Integra gsr, 2014 Mustang GT
Country flag
I wanted to consider the N version, but I really wanted the hatchback elantra and not the veloster. I purchased a used CTR because I couldn't stand the thought of getting poked so hard on the mark up most dealers were putting on the civic. I'm super happy with my choice, but I never did get to test drive a Hyundai N. The aftermarket support is far superior for the civic. If you plan to mod then I think the civic is the way to go. The buy in price on the Hyundai is much cheaper, but I do agree the resale will not be as strong on the Hyundai.

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
theres no comparing the build quality of ANY hyundai vs ANY honda product
You are right. The Palisade is MILES ahead of anything Honda has ever made.
That said, the Veloster N is really more of a GTI competitor. It’s not as fast as the CTR. I suspect most who chose it over the Type R did so purely because of price.

RMR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport/2018 Honda Odyssey Elite/2018 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
Country flag
This video is pretty informative on the two cars. Personally, Hyundai is really doing well. In the past 3 or 4 years they are appearing to really gain ground. I like the Veloster N a lot.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Lordy, the responses in this thread. :rolleyes:

I've touched on this in depth previously, but the very short version is that the Veloster N is an amazing car and a great value. It won't ever match the performance peak of the Type R, but it performs decently and offers a solid value as a total package. I've owned a Type R for over 2 years and had the pleasure of spending an entire afternoon putting a Veloster N press car through its paces. Handling and power are good, the stock N exhaust sounds way better than any aftermarket Type R exhaust, and (for the most part) it's both comfortable and practical.

Lastly, to those making comments about quality issues, I'd point out that Hyundai has ranked close to or better than Honda (depending on the year) in quality metrics for some time now, while continuing to offer superior warranty coverage.

OP, you need to drive both cars and then decide, full stop. They differ in many, many ways, and each excel in areas where the other is flawed.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
One more thing. The Veloster actually does a pretty good job overall in terms of sheer performance. Yes, the R is better. But when you consider actual out the door cost, the more "fun" personality, the better exhaust note, better infotainment, better warranty, etc., it's a fairly compelling package, if not quite up to Type R standards.

2020 Civic Type R
Honda Civic 10th gen Cross shopping with Veloster N r.JPG

2021 Veloster N DCT
Honda Civic 10th gen Cross shopping with Veloster N n.JPG

michaeljf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 CTR LE (AUS-008)
Country flag
I effectively own both (the Australian i30N hatch has the same driveline as the Veloster) and they are both great cars.

The i30N doesn't have the outright pace, chassis balance, driveline, driving position and shift quality of the Type R. However it is 75% of the price and mine came with a 7 year road and track warranty.

The Hyundai has got better visibility and is a more practical daily driver. I took part in a track day with 100 other Hyundais on a 33 deg celcius day (91 F) and the only problem of any car was a tyre rolling off an aftermarket rim.

They are bloody well engineered and their cooling (including brake ducting), brakes, gearbox and suspension are definitely up to street car level track work (4-5 hot laps at a time). It has plenty of character and for a do everything car (daily, shopping, track, interstates trips) for me it just pips the Type R.

However ultimately the Type R is a noticeable step up as a pure driving machine so if that is what you want more than anything else then the Honda wins.

Janssen098

First Name
Janssen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic si
Country flag
Just wait for Toyota to bring over whatever gr they are bringing to the states probably the Corolla gr. Or if you have access get the Yaris gr. A couple of videos of the Yaris smoking the ctr

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
I would have looked at a Veloster N if, one, the single Hyundai dealer here had had any, and two, if the single Hyundai dealer here wasn't, ahem, let's just say sub-par and leave it at that. I think the car is no weirder looking than the CTR, offers a great value proposition, and no doubt is also heaps of fun. Hyundai is making very well built cars these days, and certainly the infotainment in the Veloster is better than Honda's poor excuse for a stereo in the CTR.

I guess the DCT is a plus for some, but the thought of driving one of these types of cars with an automatic of any sort makes my skin crawl,
Sponsored