Cross shopping with Veloster N

Negitoro7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Winter beater currently
Country flag
You bring up an interesting dilemma ... next gen type R.... I don't really like the prototype pictures I've seen ... would it be worth to wait for it to come up?
I know Honda is more focused on performance with nothing wasted in that regard, but it would be really disappointing if they didn’t notice and strongly consider the complaints regarding the Type R’s abysmal exhaust note for the next gen. If they improve that, and add in customization of the driving parameters like its competition, it will likely be my next car.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
So I could test drive both the VN and the CTR. The VN was new (thanks Hyundai Buffalo for that), while I had to borrow a coworker's 2017 CTR (Honda Rochester were not keen on letting me test drive theirs)

Here are my impressions. Pls bear in mind that I try to be as objective as possible, and that this is based upon a short test drive only, I could not track them obviously:

- Looks: I have to give them to the VN. Although I like the CTR, I'm afraid it is a bit too much for every day. The VN is more plain, it resonates with me more.

- Interior: the CTR wins. It feels superior in almost every aspect. However, I have to say that I was surprised with the VN. Actually the drivers seat and surroundings are very well sorted out imo. The steering wheel is fantastic. In any case, I think that each interior is subpar according to each car price range.

- Ergonomics: Each car has its ups and downs. The shifter in the CTR is incredible, just such a pleasure to shift. The stick in the VN, although worse than the CTR, is not bad at all, I enjoyed it. Pedal placement goes to the VN. Although of inferior quality, it is easier to heel and toe. Seats: very good on both. However, there is a deal breaker for me in the VN. Me being 6ft3 - 6ft4, I felt waaaaay more comfortable in the CTR. The seat in the VN does not go as low as in the CTR, so my line of sight was closer to the top of the windshield than in the CTR, where I had no problem at all. Also, the stick is placed in a more comfy position in the CTR. The central console the CTR is just fantastically designed.

- Practicality: Obviously CTR wins by a large margin, no doubt about this.

- Performance on the street: They both felt similar to me. I could drive at 7 or 8 tens at most, and they both felt equally fast to me. They are both fantastic products.

- Fun factor: this one is subjective... to me ... this goes to the VN, no doubt. It feels more visceral, more raucous, more of a hooligan car. It's interesting how the one with the more sober looks is actually the most aggressive. Those exhaust sounds are wonderful. I smiled more on the VN than on the CTR. Also, you can tailor your preferred settings, and the rev matching can be disabled in a button.

In conclusion ... For me, the VN is a better fun-per-dollar car, while the CTR is more aseptic, refined and a better everyday car. Tough choice. However, for tall people like me, the CTR is the winner.
Fair (looking out for Team Fairness here) assessment.

Styling Is very personal but I found the CTR to be horrible. I was coming from an F80 M3 which I thought was fantastic inside and out. A test drive of the CTR sold me on the car and I’ve grown to like (but not love) the styling. I also had a Focus RS which, for me, is about perfect for what I think of as a hot hatch In terms of exterior styling.

The CTR really does need an exhaust. Would really help with the fun factor.

princeRS

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
so youre comparing a NEW/no mile hyundai vs a 4 yr old R? apples to oranges my friend

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
so youre comparing a NEW/no mile hyundai vs a 4 yr old R? apples to oranges my friend
Keep in mind that new Hyundai motor would be barely broken in. Two sides to that coin.

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
I suspect everyone would have a somewhat different write-up from a test drive. These things can't be distilled to an "absolute" yes/no type of verdict that works for everyone. I would have gladly tested a VN but there hasn't been one up here at the one dealer in, well, ever I think. Never seen one here. I have seen one other CTR at least.

I've heard the Hyundai's infotainment system is better too, but that's not exactly a high bar to clear! As for looks, as I think I've said before, I now really like the somewhat over the top aspects of the CTR; it looks interesting. After three German cars, which initially I liked for their understated approach to design, I was getting really bored.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
He isn't completely wrong with the comments. The CTR shifter actually did get looser and smoother over time; it kind of lost much of its notchiness. This is kind of to be expected with any shifter though. But other things will break in with a car too. Things like steering feel, bushings, suspension, etc.

I do feel like the N would probably still be a lot more fun on the street as the torque comes in very early at like 1500 RPM vs the R which requires you to hit 2500; and even then it's really more like 3k. That added in with the exhaust note (I'd end up turning off the pops though)...

GreyTypeR

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 PMM Type R
Country flag
Those bronze wheels on your N look superb on the car.

Enkei TSV?

I'd also like to hear your N vs. R thoughts.
Those bronze wheels on your N look superb on the car.

Enkei TSV?

I'd also like to hear your N vs. R thoughts.

Appreciate it!

Yep Enkei TSV

I will make a big post for my personal review!

princeRS

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
how is that comment wrong? lets be fair here, youre making a decision on what your wife thinks and clearly bc its a cheaper car but OK bud lol

Keep in mind that new Hyundai motor would be barely broken in. Two sides to that coin.
good point, didnt think of that tbh

OP
OP
Crazy Kanga

Crazy Kanga

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport Sedan MT
Country flag
how is that comment wrong? lets be fair here, youre making a decision on what your wife thinks and clearly bc its a cheaper car but OK bud lol

good point, didnt think of that tbh
Why do you mention my wife? and why would that matter if it was true?

I said: this is objectively what I felt driving these two particular cars, period. THat's the best I could do, I didn't have access to a. brand new type R.

Jesus these fanboys....

princeRS

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Why do you mention my wife? and why would that matter if it was true?

I said: this is objectively what I felt driving these two particular cars, period. THat's the best I could do, I didn't have access to a. brand new type R.

Jesus these fanboys....
Monday at 2:31 PM
If anyone of you knows how to convince Wife, let me know please. Then I'll handle the dealer problem. Step by step

Monday at 2:02 PM
I took Wife to have a look at the Type R BBP. Wife said it was horrible. My inner youngster died a little bit.

End of the type R road for me, pals.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crazy Kanga

Crazy Kanga

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport Sedan MT
Country flag
Monday at 2:31 PM
If anyone of you knows how to convince Wife, let me know please. Then I'll handle the dealer problem. Step by step

Monday at 2:02 PM
I took Wife to have a look at the Type R BBP. Wife said it was horrible. My inner youngster died a little bit.

End of the type R road for me, pals.
But that is not related to what I think of the car in the review I wrote.

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
Jeez guys...let’s keep the wives out of this... I come to this forum to escape my wife!!!! Hahahha! :D

Let’s all be civil. Not trying to be the adult here but everyone has a right to their opinion. Some like Burger King, some like McDonalds, etc..

I do agree the CTR can be a little “sterile” to some degree but one could call that being refined. When I drove my CTR at speed one night it was amazing how glued it was to the ground but no visceral noise to accompany the drive. Could almost say how an electric vehicle might feel, almost soul-less. Nothing an exhaust can’t fix of course.

It sort of reminds me of how people used compare a Viper/Vetter to a GTR. The GTR is super capable and easy to drive around a track (it’s sort of like the CTR) and the test driver even was driving it one handed it was so refined but the Vette was like a wild animal you had to finesse and fight around the track. Each had its own personality and did the same thing different ways. At one point my 2 Honda’s and my ‘72 Challenger all did 0-60mph in the 8 second range (per internet info) but while the Honda’s did it without fanfare the Challenger haunched up it’s rear then took off and and was loud and more visceral. Like the Veloster and CTR, it al depends what flips your cookie.

michaeljf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 CTR LE (AUS-008)
Country flag
Sorry but another perspective involving a wife ....

Our LE should be arriving in the next few months so we have to make the call as to whether the MY18 CTR or the MY20 i30N goes to make way for it. My wife will largely make the call as she will drive whatever is left more often.

The i30N is more practical as daily drive, has a longer warranty left and is more accessible to get our kids on the track. But she just can't part with the Type R. As a car she says it just feels more special and alive to drive.

I suspect that when the moment comes the Hyundai might stay but it will definitely be head over heart.

todda

2018 Aegean blue CTR 14103
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean blue Type R; 2011 Subaru WRX limited; 2003 Acura RSX-S were previous vehicles
Country flag
Maybe, with some of the ridiculous ADM I've seen people on here pay, maybe not.

But yes, if one does not over pay for an R they certainly have the better odds of slower depreciation.

Important to note as well for those looking at the N, they offer ridiculous incentives to move them as the market is not nearly as strong for it.
I looked at a Veloster N last summer, and the car I saw, of course in SoCal, had a markup of $5k. So hopefully the pricing has changed a little although I see very very few of them in my area. I think it is a great car but the CTR is superior if you can afford the price difference.
Sponsored