First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport Touring Hatchback, 2019 Type R. 2021 CRV Black Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Define “rice” for me guys.... I always understood it to be a non functional cosmetic mod.

Struggling a bit to understand how the CTR is considered to be rice. I’ve raced a lot of very fast bikes over the years and driven some pretty serious cars and am pretty impressed by it.
Sponsored

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
Nope, just BS. There's absolutely no reason not to put a spoiler on a FWD car... Well, there's one and it's aesthetics.
Spoilers and wings are two different things. Also, a car being FWD does not make a spoiler or wing not do its job.

SiFever

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 2019 Jeep Rubicon 2 Door MT
Country flag
Define “rice” for me guys.... I always understood it to be a non functional cosmetic mod.

Struggling a bit to understand how the CTR is considered to be rice. I’ve raced a lot of very fast bikes over the years and driven some pretty serious cars and am pretty impressed by it.
Aesthetic sensibilities, really. American muscle cars are big, larger cars with even larger engines, making big power to go fast, mostly for dragstrip rather than track. European cars are more refined, subtle, well engineered, if they break often it is because somebody wanted it to break, Mercedes of the modern day has out done GM in the 50's as far as planned obsolecence goes. Japanese, Korean, and now Chinese cars have that bling factor, showy, huge spoilers and wings, in-your-face appearance, and a preference for efficiency over raw CID.

Part of this stems for attitudes about wealth, and who the market was for the cars when they were first developed. Muscle cars were first build up from basic model cars with big engine options, by young men from the midwest in the 50's and 60's; lots of people had decent jobs and could afford a decent mass produced car at a young age. The European market first catered to wealthier, more aristocratic sorts who wanted a tasteful car, to show off their wealth in a classy, understated way. The Asian market was more about showing off wealth, in the most noticable way possible, hence the noisy, look-at-me bling and focus on appearance and grabbing attention.

So, a ricey car is one that looks like something a teenage asian boy would drive, or like something you might see in an Anime movie.

Anyway, that is enough philosophic exposition for a blog post, peace.

Last edited:

Daniel644

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan, 2003 Trailblazer LS, 1999 Pontiac Firebird
Country flag

RICE= Race Inspired COSMETIC Ehancements

In short it means spending money on purely cosmetic crap to make the car look like a race car even though the parts serve no purpose like say a Wing on an FWD car, here read the final sentence https://www.motorauthority.com/news...a-front-wheel-drive-car-makes-sense-sometimes

Rayzorman1

I bleed Honda red.......
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Aesthetic sensibilities, really. American muscle cars are big, larger cars with even larger engines, making big power to go fast, mostly for dragstrip rather than track. European cars are more refined, subtle, well engineered, if they break often it is because somebody wanted it to break, Mercedes of the modern day has out done GM in the 50's as far as planned obsolecence goes. Japanese, Korean, and now Chinese cars have that bling factor, showy, huge spoilers and wings, in-your-face appearance, and a preference for efficiency over raw CID.
So the CTR is “showy” because of its huge spoiler and in your face appearance and is focused on efficiency? Have you driven one?

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag

The Type-R is just extremely over-the top in its appearance. You would be hard pressed to find one corner or line that doesn't have some jaggedy aero "feature" present. While Honda claims the majority of its modifications made from the normal Civic hatch are functional, I don't think it would be too hard for us to find a fake vent or unnecessary flair or two.
All that being said, I love what Honda did with it. Who's buying a Type-R and is hoping to 'blend-in'? Now, I would never buy one myself, but I can respect them from afar and I enjoy seeing them out on the road.

Rayzorman1

I bleed Honda red.......
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

In short it means spending money on purely cosmetic crap to make the car look like a race car even though the parts serve no purpose like say a Wing on an FWD car, here read the final sentence https://www.motorauthority.com/news...a-front-wheel-drive-car-makes-sense-sometimes
Oh shit it’s an acronym! Lmao! That’s pretty much what I said but without the heavy dose of judgement. Lol!!

I haven’t hit the link on your article because it’s simply going to say that you need enough speed for a wing to generate downforce right? Hence you feel it’s rice on a street car?

Rayzorman1

I bleed Honda red.......
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Type-R is just extremely over-the top in its appearance. You would be hard pressed to find one corner or line that doesn't have some jaggedy aero "feature" present. While Honda claims the majority of its modifications made from the normal Civic hatch are functional, I don't think it would be too hard for us to find a fake vent or unnecessary flair or two.
All that being said, I love what Honda did with it. Who's buying a Type-R and is hoping to 'blend-in'? Now, I would never buy one myself, but I can respect them from afar and I enjoy seeing them out on the road.
Well put brother. Kudos.

SiFever

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 2019 Jeep Rubicon 2 Door MT
Country flag
So the CTR is “showy” because of its huge spoiler and in your face appearance and is focused on efficiency? Have you driven one?
Yes, drove the neighbours CTR, was nice, had more power than my Si, ofc. Yea, any car that makes 300hp from a 2.0 is pretty efficient, I would say. As far as Muscle cars, the old V8s were popular in the 20's and 30's, efficiency was not really an option due to the state of technology, so for more power they made bigger engines.

Said it better than I ever could.

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
Race Inspired COSMETIC Ehancements is a backronym.

Saying aero is only effective at high speed is pretty much stating the obvious.

Rayzorman1

I bleed Honda red.......
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Most people define rice as anything THEY don't like. If the ctr is the king of rice...consider me one of it's most loyal subjects!
You’re cutting to the end. Lol!
Yes, drove the neighbours CTR, was nice, had more power than my Si, ofc. Yea, any car that makes 300hp from a 2.0 is pretty efficient, I would say. As far as Muscle cars, the old V8s were popular in the 20's and 30's, efficiency was not really an option due to the state of technology, so for more power they made bigger engines.

Said it better than I ever could.
You’re making statements without a point in specific reference to the CTR being rice. Me no understand

Daniel644

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan, 2003 Trailblazer LS, 1999 Pontiac Firebird
Country flag
Oh shit it’s an acronym! Lmao! That’s pretty much what I said but without the heavy dose of judgement. Lol!!

I haven’t hit the link on your article because it’s simply going to say that you need enough speed for a wing to generate downforce right? Hence you feel it’s rice on a street car?
I'm a recovering Ricer myself (I mean you saw the photo I posted earlier where if you look closely you see all the stickers and the fact my hand is actually underneath that rear tire and that tire is spinning because I had Air Cylinders on the car at the time and had the car 3 wheelin') so I do what I can to prevent this crap and I honestly believe the shape and design of that wing simply isn't right for the sedan at all, it's very hard to find a wing that looks right on a sedan, coupes are easier, they feel more at home on a coupe.

And yes the TL;DR is that spoilers are for race cars, not street cars, the final line specifically says "There's more physics involved here, and we'll let Jason walk you through it all. Just know that you still don't need a spoiler on the back of your Civic... but if you think it looks cool, it's certainly not hurting anything."

Rayzorman1

I bleed Honda red.......
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm a recovering Ricer myself (I mean you saw the photo I posted earlier where if you look closely you see all the stickers and the fact my hand is actually underneath that rear tire and that tire is spinning because I had Air Cylinders on the car at the time and had the car 3 wheelin') so I do what I can to prevent this crap and I honestly believe the shape and design of that wing simply isn't right for the sedan at all, it's very hard to find a wing that looks right on a sedan, coupes are easier, they feel more at home on a coupe.

And yes the TL;DR is that spoilers are for race cars, not street cars, the final line specifically says "There's more physics involved here, and we'll let Jason walk you through it all. Just know that you still don't need a spoiler on the back of your Civic... but if you think it looks cool, it's certainly not hurting anything."
Have you ever taken any of your cars or bikes on a track?
Sponsored