Crate FK8 Engine: Has anyone done it?

ThorSellsCars

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR, 2019 Honda Civic EX 1.5T (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I recently read and article that you can buy a Crate engine from the Type R, for about 7grand. Just curious has anyone bought one? I find the Idea of putting it into a 2017 AWD CR-V, or in a 10th gen Civic Coupe, or even swapping it into a Fit or 240sx or anything really! It’s an awesome motor, and it’d be cool to swap it into stuff.
Sponsored

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
Unless the rules have changed recently you have to prove that you're using it for racing. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I think the only way to get one for street use is to get one from a wrecked car.

OP
OP
ThorSellsCars

ThorSellsCars

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR, 2019 Honda Civic EX 1.5T (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

chibo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Civic Si Sedan, 2002 S2000
Country flag
no, the 1.5t motor has been swapped into a fit...other than that I haven't seen 10gen swaps.
Boehm's SCCA STU Civic Si has a K20C1 in it

I was approved for HPD membership with a few NASA TT results, though I haven't tried to order a motor so I'm not sure if they have further checks.

LordeKyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You can get a fully built version of the K20C1 from 4Piston Racing as a regular consumer. It's a little over $8K.
If I get my hands on one of these puppies can I fit it into a civic ext 1.5t cvt? Or would the power of the engine overpower the rest of the drivetrain?

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
So if you own a CTR and mechanically overrev by accident or the front end is smashed up in a bad crash, Honda won't sell you a brand new engine to put in your car? Or are these the only exceptions?

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
You can get a fully built version of the K20C1 from 4Piston Racing as a regular consumer. It's a little over $8K.
This would be the way to go!

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
If I get my hands on one of these puppies can I fit it into a civic ext 1.5t cvt? Or would the power of the engine overpower the rest of the drivetrain?
The CVT can’t even handle a fully tuned 1.5T. You’d grenade your transmission with a 2.0T.

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
You guys are doing it all wrong! Save some cash. Buy an engine from a wrecked CTR. There are plenty to go around, you just have to search! :D

Like this example:
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-engines-and...9NOBg3Nb_FR-q569tw-p7we2VMB4FPw_0XwY8ECQTrzCS

This particular engine has been on sale for about 6+ months now, and still no takers (I can't imagine many people needing an engine this early on in the CTR's existence, and for modders, it's probably a bit too expensive). At $5000 CDN, That's about $3800 USD. For an engine with under 7000 miles.

I also noticed they're selling the transmission with it too, for a total of $8000 for both engine and tranny- That's about $6100 USD. I'd try to work a deal out with them. Seeing as it's been sitting for so long, $5000 USD might get you both!

Last edited:

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I mean, if money was no object, getting everything brand new would be awesome. But Honda engine swaps have been supporting the modding community for two decades now. An engine with ~7000 miles is likely in good shape and likely no cause for concern. And if it's for a weekend race car, you might as well pinch pennies wherever you can. Stuff adds up quick.

The thought of buying this engine has seriously crossed my mind more often than I'd like to admit. Just to have as a back up, for whatever reason. But then reality kicks in and reminds me that so long as I'm not abusing my CTR, there should really be no need for a new engine at any point. And I'm not interested in doing a crazy high powered build either, because I feel it takes too much away from the CTR in terms of driving dynamics. But that's just me.

omalleyman

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Type R
Country flag
So if you own a CTR and mechanically overrev by accident or the front end is smashed up in a bad crash, Honda won't sell you a brand new engine to put in your car? Or are these the only exceptions?
Insurance guy here...if you were involved in a wreck that required the engine to be replaced...that's a definite total loss.
Sponsored