Crash mitigation can be DANGEROUS if you're a spirited/aggressive driver.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
BRAKE is the CMS... it throws up the visual warning first. If you totally ignore it, it'll press the brakes. Your speed and distance will determine how fast one vs. the other occurs. If you're flying and a car suddenly appears before you not moving (running a red light, then panic stops in the intersection, let's say), you'll likely have the brakes come on immediately without a chance to stop on your own with just the visual warning.

It'll warn you if you're not going too fast, too... but I would say if you want to "inch forward" into a wall, you'll be permitted to.
It's also disabled when you're moving less than 5mph so inching into a parking space isn't going to set it off.

As mentioned before , you can adjust the sensitivity.

The laws of physics aren't adjustable though.
By default the system is set to brake at what is likely a distance that would avoid an accident completely or almost completely.

At lower sensitivities you're likely falling below the min distance it would take to bring the car to a complete stop before an accident.

That said, I did turn my down a little bit.
I'm not anyone's idea of an aggressive driver but the brake warning was going off fairly often in stop and go traffic.

Haven't had it ever apply the brakes yet.
Hope to never have to find out how well it works really.
Sponsored

Hohum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
Currently looking at the Civic Touring 2016 and this is one of my big concerns. The sensing features sound great on paper, but I honestly feel that I'd turn off all the systems after a week. I have forward collision warning on my 2013 ATS, and it goes off at the most random times. Just today I was driving on a country road, going around a right-hander with a tree on the corner, and the system went into full arm-flailing alert mode with seat buzzing, dash lights, beeping etc. Couldn't help but think that if the same thing happened, but with auto-braking, might not end so well ...

somarilnos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I specifically avoided getting Honda Sensing for the exact reason that I'm not ready to trust an automated system to take over driving from me. I was picturing buying a new rim when Lane Keeping keeps me in the center of the lane where a pothole is, or doesn't let me veer to avoid the guy who can't stay in their own lane.

That being said, this exact situation you described is also why you shouldn't be doing that particular maneuver.

If there's a limited amount of space in that gap, you're accelerating to get into that space, and your car hits the brakes, and you're concerned this could cause an accident.

Yes, but it could also cause an accident if the same thing happens, but the car ahead has to slow down.

The chain of events causing the accident starts when you try to pass when there really isn't adequate room to do so. Not when the CBMS kicks in.

Rawnerve1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 crv
Country flag
Reading alot of these HS storys it made my mind up not to get it. Im sure the problems are few and far between but why take a chance I have kids and dont want this car in charge of my family. Im pretty sure in the next 5 plus years it will get better but im going to pass. Will i regret it maybe, but for the past 23 years of driving i been fine

ICanLiftACivicUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Aegean Blue Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'll clarify.

I merged onto the highway and made my way to the middle lane where I got stuck behind a driver going 35mph. I noticed a driver coming in the left lane and decided to let him pass prior to me making the lane change. Once he passed I made the lane change and accelerated up to speed. I didn't floor it or over accelerate. Nor did I accelerate or close the gap on him faster than he was accelerating (so it thought). Apparently Honda's sensing feature felt I was and with no notice brought my car from about 55-60mph to about 30mph in a matter of 2 seconds. To be honest I was quite startled! The deceleration was hard enough to send me forward into the steering wheel and send my cell phone flying out of the cup holder on to the passenger floor.
What happened was that, while you were changing the acceleration, it went from detecting 'no' car while you were merging to detecting 'a' car much within the range that you have ACC set for, which made it think there was suddenly a car much closer to you, even for a moment, than was safe. I'm not going to sit here and pretend I don't occasionally do the same driving, because someone going 35mph on the highway is an idiot :p. If you are going to drive like this though, you should just turn it off. ACC and LKAS are nice but you should always turn them off just before making a sudden change in vehicle acceleration.

mojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic black ex-l with nav
i'd like to say I'm the asshole driver ... I'm also the aggressive driver or spirited whatever u want to call me.... i knew that the honda sensing feature wasn't for me before i even purchased the car .. I've driven other vehicles with similar features where it corrects your steering or does some other nutty move .... i would have had to leave it off as i am always finding myself behind some moron in the left lane doing 50 right along side someone in the middle lane doing 55 and i have to squeeze thru the both of them... so i purchased the ex-l ... i didn't want to pay extra for something i was going to keep off with all that being said that feature is for ppl 65 and older driving miss daisy .... turn it off and drive how your suppose to drive before all this tech

MisterEnigma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
I'm an aggressive driver, and living in NYC, you have to be. Fact is, you will deal with insanely slow drivers, double parkers, multiple people who never signal, people who drive in the middle, people who are terrible at parking in narrow streets, etc. These are the kind of drivers that impedes traffic.

Safe feature like these aren't going to fix anything, and only makes it more dangerous trying to quickly avoid idiot drivers.

The rhythm to city driving is to not hesitate. Braking out of random would be as bad as indecisive drivers hesitating.

staged84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic touring
Country flag
Is it more dangerous than an aggressive driver? I don't think so.

mojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic black ex-l with nav
my friend just purchased the touring model i drove it on the belt parkway the cross island and the clear view parkway in nyc... with those features on .. while it isn't perfect they are nice and performed pretty good considering the lanes aren not painted good the camera uses the white lines as a guide.. once the car applied the brake heavy because i was cut off when the feature is to be used on open highways or not nyc traffic not just on all the time.. do i need it nope .. would it have been fun to use on a trip hell yes.. it took away some fatigue on the belt in that stop n go traffic i set it for 1 car length and 55 mph and it kept pretty good pace and corrected the steering as best as it could with the lines on that horrible highway which is under construction i took hands off wheel and brake and it did about 75% of the work which made the trip less annoying

bcfmb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 16
What happened was that, while you were changing the acceleration, it went from detecting 'no' car while you were merging to detecting 'a' car much within the range that you have ACC set for, which made it think there was suddenly a car much closer to you, even for a moment, than was safe. I'm not going to sit here and pretend I don't occasionally do the same driving, because someone going 35mph on the highway is an idiot :p. If you are going to drive like this though, you should just turn it off. ACC and LKAS are nice but you should always turn them off just before making a sudden change in vehicle acceleration.
The speed limit on the West side highway in Manhattan is 35mph. For the majority of the road there are street lights every few blocks. But between around 180th street to 57th street there are no lights and you can actually cruise at highway speeds, but the speed limit does not change. Its actually very annoying because of the mix of people following and not following that speed limit. On most days this just causes clusters of cars, mixed with ultra aggressive drivers, and creates plenty of accidents. Luckily for the OP he was not in this situation because it could have been bad for him on this road.

bcfmb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 16
Is it more dangerous than an aggressive driver? I don't think so.
Whats wrose, the aggressive driver or the driver who insist on driving the speed limit in the left lane?

whaaaaa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L, Black w/ Ivory interior
Country flag
Whats wrose, the aggressive driver or the driver who insist on driving the speed limit in the left lane?

The aggressive driver. The slow driver is of course an inarguable nuisance, but to suggest that nuisance forces another driver to be aggressive is insane. The only way that slow driver is posing any danger is if one automatically assumes that the other surrounding drivers are going to be jerks about it, which is an unfortunate truth in reality but still in no way the fault of the slow driver. There is always a choice whether to be aggressive or to apply the breaks and wait patiently for a safe opening to pass— ultimately only adding mere seconds to the total trip, if even anything at all, but that's really beside the point.

What's more, it's baffling that this sort of behavior is so easily rationalized when it comes to the roadways, considering it would be so obviously condemned in any other context. Would it be okay to aggressively tailgate or shove past someone if they were walking too slowly on a narrow sidewalk? Sure you might want to, but you hopefully wouldn't, because we live in a society where it's more appropriate to simply wait for enough room to go around in a way that isn't offensively rude. And that's at walking speeds, where there's near zero risk of a life-threatening injury. To draw another comparison, perhaps at the risk of some slight hyperbole (but not really), the idea that an annoyingly slow driver forces another to drive dangerously is pretty much the same as saying that an attractive woman wearing a short skirt forces a creep to grab her ass. No. Just no.
Sponsored