First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Hi
I had a 2002 Honda Civic EX Coupe got before this 2018 model, it was great and had great mpg, I had high hopes for this one. But the gas mileage is truly awful. I get 12-15 mpg the highest has been 21mg even on eco mode. It doesn't seem to change much between regular and eco mode or on the highway. It boggles my mind. I live in LA so there is stop and go traffic and I don't expect 30mg but it should be better than this. I have tried resetting. The car has 50k, oil changed consistently. Does anyone know why it would get such crappy MPG. I am not a heavy footer either.
Sponsored

Tac3403

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic EX-T sedan 1.5T Cvt
Country flag
These cars do not get very good millage in the city, but should be nowhere near 12 lol. Are you letting the car idle in the morning a lot before you drive? just during the winter while ive done this, my mpg dropped from averaging 35 to about 29. For the next few times you get gas, calculate your MPG manually or use something like fuelly to keep track of it

casper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Hatchback (6MT)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
If you habitually idle your car for minutes on end (I’m surprised at how common this practice is despite the wastefulness and even safety issue with carbon monoxide poisoning), your mpg are literally 0. So that will bring down your avg mpg pretty easily.

Not sure how the computer does the calculation, but just a weighted average hypothetically, if you idle for 25% of the total time you use the car, and got 40 mpg while driving, your weighted average would be 30 mpg, just as an example.

Just seeing if that could be another contributing reason.

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
Change your air filter. Check your tire pressure.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
My 2016 has over 90K miles and i still get 30 mpg even in the winter.

I use STP Fuel Injector Cleaner at every oil change. I would try adding a bottle for the next 2 tankfuls.

It could also be something as simple as a vacuum hose leak.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My 2016 has over 90K miles and i still get 30 mpg even in the winter.

I use STP Fuel Injector Cleaner at every oil change. I would try adding a bottle for the next 2 tankfuls.

Good to know , thank's

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Air filter, quality gas, tire pressure, spark plugs, are all things I would make sure are good. But none of these will have as big of an affect as how you drive, the climate you drive in, as well as the traffic. Youd be surprised how stop and go traffic will just drag mileage down. Even if youre stopped, the computer is still calculating MPG and will bring it down.

If you want an accurate assessment of how your car is doing, take it for a long drive through the countryside or on a highway where you can just put it on cruise and go. If you MPG shoots up, you know its the stop and go traffic.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
Are you getting a solid 12mpg based on the mileage you drove divided by the 11gal fillup OR based on what the range tab on the gauges is telling you?

One of the things I've noticed is that the fuel range logic on the newer Hondas are different than the older models. Honda shifted to a German car mindset when it came to calculating fuel range/mpg. If you idle the car a lot versus being in motion, the mpg will tank on the gauges. The gauge cluster will calculate engine run time into mpg now, so if you just sit there in traffic using gas but not moving, the cluster will decrease your mpg.

The next time you go on a longer trip, reset trip odometer A and B on the gauge cluster. You notice you get amazing mpg all of a sudden when you don't factor in idle time stuck in traffic.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
5 days car ride north west NY state , 2/3 highway 1/3 city ; 40mpg
Sponsored