Crackling sound coming from turbo when accelerating.

HaRDYSi925

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
So sometimes when I am getting out of gear and just pressing on the gas to build up turbo I get a crackling sound from the turbo and it's very unsettling. It sounds as if it's tearing itself apart from the inside it's a very heart-wrenching crackling and cracking sound. although this only happens sometimes and it happens when I accelerate doesn't matter from a soft acceleration to hard acceleration still does the same thing at times with this sound. when I hit the gas and I hear the cracking sound come out of the turbo I instantly let go of the gas pedal. What is this? Is it normal? Is there something I can do to get rid of it? I've been actually nervous to drive my si fast and instantly have to let go of the gas every time I hear that sound it's been pretty embarrassing at times when I'm trying to pass.

Thanks guys appreciate all your help!
:imnew::nixon:
Sponsored

jeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 LX Hatch 6MT, 15 Forester Limited w/tech
Country flag
Did you ask your dealer?

No a crackling sounds is not normal from the turbo, but how do you know that's where it is coming from?

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Sounds more like the Radiator Fan knocking against the shroud. If your Turbo were crackling you wouldn't be crackling for very long.
Get it checked out or check your Radiator fan (if you installed something in that vicinity).

Austinhr97

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
Did you get it fixed? My car was doing this and it ended up being a cracked turbo and bent turbine. It's covered under warranty. I hope you're not still driving on it. I'm replying to old threads from people who had this issue who never posted an update.
Sponsored