OP
catspaw

catspaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR, '04 RX8
Country flag
Thanks for all the great advice (except you 1lastnerve, who the fuck is whining?) - makes sense that temperature change could have caused a minor chip to expand pretty rapidly. I called up Safelite and will take the car in next week to see what the damage is. Luckily the 2019s have no Honda Sensing to complicate things.
Sponsored

1lastnerve

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR - Black
Country flag
Sorry for the whining comment... but of all the “advice” given... mine is the one you followed. ?

Setanta

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 CRX, 99 Integra Type R, MY19 FK8
Country flag
I've been through 3 windshields in 8000km. The original was scored by something under the wiper - a nice arc right in front of me. It was replaced by non-OEM. That lasted a week as there was bad distortion in the bottom of the windshield and the corners. It was replaced under my 1 free windshield a year policy. A complaint to the insurer about this resulted in an OEM shield and new seals which fixed the issue. 2 Weeks later I took a stone to the drivers side that cracked it. Insurance again but this time I had to pay excess. New OEM and so far so good for Windshield #4.

This excludes Honda repeatedly supplying the wrong windshield - all of our Type Rs run lane assist etc, share a windshield with the RS Civic... but nope, issues. The service manager ended up outsourcing to a presige center as the insurers' choice got it wrong the first time.

To put it in perspective: New windshield (OEM) plus new seals (OEM), plus fitting, plus calibration of sensors = 1400AUD. But worth it!

Jha_s_ani

First Name
Jhasani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic ex 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Happened to me a few weeks ago mine costed like 1200 for the windshield and calibration.

I went through insurance first (my deductible is $500) I then when through my windshield protection warranty at Honda which covers up to $500 for my model so I ended up getting mine fixed for free

OP
OP
catspaw

catspaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR, '04 RX8
Country flag
Maybe this is just confirmation bias, but it sounds like folks are having way more issues with the windshield of this car than normal. Is it made from the same stuff as our paint?!? It's just funny to me because in 15 years I don't think I've ever had an issue until now (maybe just luck?), but people here are talking about being on their third or fourth screen for their R.

Vic_L

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
That's fucked. Doesn't your local Honda have two glass option? OEM and Aftermarket grade OEM? It's basically the same glass minus the Honda sticker lol

I know this girl who got a crack on her 20 R and it cost around $1130CAD installed. She went with it even though I told her I could have gotten it for a few hundred cheaper
If you look at the far left side of the picture near the glue area, it kind of looks like point of impact. Minor crack was probably already there for a while.
Drastic temperature change (specially right at the air vent area) would cause it crack just like that.

I recently got a chip on my windshield near the LKA camera area, Spent 50CAD with resin fix, but I'm already mentally prepared to fork out 1k in the future to have it replaced.
Happened to me a few weeks ago mine costed like 1200 for the windshield and calibration.

I went through insurance first (my deductible is $500) I then when through my windshield protection warranty at Honda which covers up to $500 for my model so I ended up getting mine fixed for free
I know this is the Type-R section, but it came up on my CivicX feed, and I'm in the situation where I need to get my windshield replaced on my FK7 hatch.

A semi-truck kicked up a rock (or something) while I was on the highway heading into work, and put a chip at the bottom-center of the windshield. I was able to get it filled in at a local glass repair shop (SpeedyGlass), and that was done free of charge through insurance. That was in August 2020.

Car was then garage kept over winter, indoors, but not heated. I'm assuming because of the cold, and the expansion / compression, the windshield is now cracked horizontally about 7" ~ 8" along the bottom...so beyond repair.

My hatch has LKA and the whole HondaSensing suite. Do you know if all that needs to be recalibrated at the Honda dealer, or can it be done anywhere else (or even done myself) once the windshield is replaced?

remusrm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic LX 6spd
Country flag
Literally don't know how or when this happened, but couple days ago I noticed a massive 8-inch crack appear around the center of my windshield. Can't remember hitting anything and there's no other damage... just sort of appeared overnight. Does anybody know if this type of repair is covered under the warranty, or if there's another way to repair something like this?

IMG_20210225_200840.jpg
Is there an impact from being hit on the bottom? If not that should be covered under warranty! Why, because it might be a bad window, or there is too much stress on the window on the bottom of it!

jdm_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 FK8 CTR & More
Country flag
My hatch has LKA and the whole HondaSensing suite. Do you know if all that needs to be recalibrated at the Honda dealer, or can it be done anywhere else (or even done myself) once the windshield is replaced?
Honda. They have a specialized target and software to recalibrate

Kubo99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
I've heard that replacing a windshield through insurance might not be covered depending on the company, and that they might even view it as an excuse to raise your rates.

Windshield replacement at Honda is right around $900 if you have the sensing package. 450 for the glass and 450 for calibration. They say that other shops can't calibrate but I went to Glassmasters (its similar to apple autoglass) and they did it for half the price and I haven't had a sensor issue in the last two years.
Though its only 8 inches, I'm sure you could go to one of those parking lot stalls where they just fill the crack in with epoxy so it doesn't spread further. Probably a $30 fix for a crack of that size. I've had good results with those too.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You may have glass coverage - or should - in which case you will have no out of pocket. Also, some auto glass companies will cover your deductible to get the business.
This is why I always have glass coverage on my auto. The one thing I can almost guarantee will get used with all the construction around here, and rocks kicked up on the highway. Even without glass coverage, you will still be covered under comprehensive.
The windshield is shot. Get it replaced asap. '

Installer from 'Terminator II' Auto Glass to Cats Paw: 'Come with me if you want to live.'

lexro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2006, Civic Sedan Sport 2019, Type R 2021
Country flag
Maybe this is just confirmation bias, but it sounds like folks are having way more issues with the windshield of this car than normal. Is it made from the same stuff as our paint?!? It's just funny to me because in 15 years I don't think I've ever had an issue until now (maybe just luck?), but people here are talking about being on their third or fourth screen for their R.
yea for real, My 06 civic went through hell on highway driving and never had so much as a micro chip. Mind you I drive in heavy traffic with a lot of 18 wheelers. And I travel to ski a lot during winter too. so imagine and the road salts and tiny rocks.

I think it's not just Honda, the entire global supply chain is cheapening out in every sectors and fields. We're are exhausting resources and cost of materials are increasing much faster than the counter balance of our overall purchasing capability. wait for the cars designed and manufactured AFTER this pandemic lol

Vic_L

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Honda. They have a specialized target and software to recalibrate
I've heard that replacing a windshield through insurance might not be covered depending on the company, and that they might even view it as an excuse to raise your rates.

Windshield replacement at Honda is right around $900 if you have the sensing package. 450 for the glass and 450 for calibration. They say that other shops can't calibrate but I went to Glassmasters (its similar to apple autoglass) and they did it for half the price and I haven't had a sensor issue in the last two years.
Though its only 8 inches, I'm sure you could go to one of those parking lot stalls where they just fill the crack in with epoxy so it doesn't spread further. Probably a $30 fix for a crack of that size. I've had good results with those too.

Oh shii... okay.
Well if I go through my insurance's glass/windshield comprehensive, I *hope* the fee for re-calibrating is included.
Jeez, hope I don't need to fork out $450 for the calibration part...

It's been filled before, and THAT filled area cracked even further.
The chip/crack was JUST under the size of a $1 dollar coin.
When they filled it in, the chip actually spider-webbed to become bigger.
It was because the vacuum / suction needed when filling in the chip, or so what I was told during pick-up.

At least here in BC, if it's bigger than a $1 coin, the windshield will need to be replaced.

Kubo99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
Oh shii... okay.
Well if I go through my insurance's glass/windshield comprehensive, I *hope* the fee for re-calibrating is included.

It was because the vacuum / suction needed when filling in the chip, or so what I was told during pick-up.

At least here in BC, if it's bigger than a $1 coin, the windshield will need to be replaced.
Oh wow, I didn't know it was so strict in BC.
Still, try to get a few quotes from other places. Vehicles with built-in cameras and sensors are pretty common now, I'm sure there's many autoglass places that can properly do a recalibration without charging a ridiculous price.

jdm_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 FK8 CTR & More
Country flag
No because insurance is cheap af and only price out glass at msrp + warranty time which doesn't include calibration, it's an extra couple hundred in labour

I'm sure there's many autoglass places that can properly do a recalibration without charging a ridiculous price.
I know all of the aftermarket glass companies in Alberta (speedy, cal-alta, go! glass masters, etc) doesn't have the tools to recalibrate, I've seen them come back to Honda to get a proper glass or a proper calibrate

lexro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2006, Civic Sedan Sport 2019, Type R 2021
Country flag
Oh shii... okay.

Yeah mine too, got a big spiderweb like crack about the size just under a dollar coin after filled in with resin. I was chatting with the tech that performed it. He told me he didn't go all in because it was really close to the edge.
Sponsored