Cracked Windshield

Honda#2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Yep, it happened. A small pebble (at least I think it was) hit the windshield and left a small cracked star about the size of a nickel. Insurance covered the repair at no charge. Safelite repaired it, but it grew to about 4 inches. Of course it is right in front of the drivers seat and I have to look at it every time I drive. What is with all the cracked windshields? I would say this forum is a small segment of 2016's Civic owners, but there sure seem to be a lot of people that have had this happen. I'am not sure if the crack is growing (it may be), I will probably have to pay the $500 insurance deductible eventually. The car is on a lease and when I turn it in I think they will get me for above normal damage. Never had this happen it many, many years of driving. I think the glass may be a bit inferior. Stinks!!
Sponsored

cycledrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Accord sedan 4 cyl
Yep, it happened. A small pebble (at least I think it was) hit the windshield and left a small cracked star about the size of a nickel. Insurance covered the repair at no charge. Safelite repaired it, but it grew to about 4 inches. Of course it is right in front of the drivers seat and I have to look at it every time I drive. What is with all the cracked windshields? I would say this forum is a small segment of 2016's Civic owners, but there sure seem to be a lot of people that have had this happen. I'am not sure if the crack is growing (it may be), I will probably have to pay the $500 insurance deductible eventually. The car is on a lease and when I turn it in I think they will get me for above normal damage. Never had this happen it many, many years of driving. I think the glass may be a bit inferior. Stinks!!
Lower your comprehensive deductible. $500 is too high. Get quote for $150. I'll bet premium not that much more. I used to have $250, had to replace windshield 2 years ago. Lowered to $150, premium only went up a bit.

$500 is like deductible for Collision on a newish car.

tcl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T SOLD June 2016
Vehicle Showcase
... I would say this forum is a small segment of 2016's Civic owners, but there sure seem to be a lot of people that have had this happen. ...
I’ve been on many car forums over the years and I don’t recall seeing as many windshield damage reports as I’ve seen here. At least no one has yet reported a crack due to a bug impact.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
That's because most car owners understand that windshield chips are common, and not something worth "reporting."

Also, there are other things to consider.

A few years ago our Ministry of Transportation decided to outsource salting of highways in the winter. But the new contractor used coarse salt mixed with sand/gravel, and there was a huge spike in broken windshields.

LX16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic coupe lx
Does nobody have the $0 deductible on glass replacement? It only costs me an extra $20 every 6 months. You guys might wanna look into it.

JWFORD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Yes, I do! I live in SC, where there is a $0 deductible on windshield repair/replacement as long as you have full coverage. The problems is NO ONE HAS THE WINDSHIELD IN STOCK! I had been waiting OVER A MONTH for "side moldings" to come in from Safelite. Finally, last week I went to another well reviewed repair shop and took off work today so that the guy could come to my house and do the repair only to be told that they had ordered the WRONG WINDSHIELD. How does that happen? I don't know. The point is here I am still waiting to have my windshield replaced over a month from the date I filed the claim. First and last time I ever purchase a new year model car from Honda, or anyone else. :(

Molatte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Does nobody have the $0 deductible on glass replacement? It only costs me an extra $20 every 6 months. You guys might wanna look into it.
I'm pretty sure this varies by state. I tried to talk about this to my insurance and they said nope. Nothing at all. So I had to cough up $500 for an OEM windshield..which only costs near $700 or so..

RockyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Optima SXL, 2015 Honda CRV EX, 2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2003 Lancer Evolution
a small pebble hit my moms 2015 CRV touring and shattered the window... Safelite came out with a generic replacement. luckily she asked and they ordered the oem honda glass no questions asked. they came back and did an awesome job replacing it. i think honda is using some really cheap components these days. the glass on my 2015 kia optima has to be 3 times thicker than the glass on the civic/crv...

hybrid81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
My windshield has already cracked as well...and after only 2 months. 15 years worth of Hondas and I've only had a crack one other time.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
On the way to Texas, my girlfriend was driving and I wasn't looking when I heard this huge pop! Honestly, it sounded like something blew up in the dash. She told me it was a rock. Got extremely lucky, no breaks. The only thing I can figure is the smooth part hit the windshield.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
On the way to Texas, my girlfriend was driving and I wasn't looking when I heard this huge pop! Honestly, it sounded like something blew up in the dash. She told me it was a rock. Got extremely lucky, no breaks. The only thing I can figure is the smooth part hit the windshield.
Had a huge piece of rock/debris fly off and hit smack in the middle of my windshield on the highway yesterday @ 80 MPH. After reading everything here, I assumed it was done for...not even a chip :nixon: I think I lucked out...

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Had a huge piece of rock/debris fly off and hit smack in the middle of my windshield on the highway yesterday @ 80 MPH. After reading everything here, I assumed it was done for...not even a chip :nixon: I think I lucked out...
After an ice storm, a chunk of ice (approx 6 inches square) flew off another car on the highway and hit my windshield around 110 km/h. Huge cracking sound. No damage. Maybe the windshields aren't as bad as they're being made out to be?

Molatte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan Touring
Vehicle Showcase
After an ice storm, a chunk of ice (approx 6 inches square) flew off another car on the highway and hit my windshield around 110 km/h. Huge cracking sound. No damage. Maybe the windshields aren't as bad as they're being made out to be?
Its ice, not rock. In texture, they're much more weaker than a flying pebble. The crack you heard was the ice braking apart, not the windshield. I would guess that if your windshield gave in, you would hear a cracking sound similar to cracked glass. I was going at about 45mph when a pebble from a truck hit my windshield and cracked it immediately afterwards.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Its ice, not rock. In texture, they're much more weaker than a flying pebble. The crack you heard was the ice braking apart, not the windshield. I would guess that if your windshield gave in, you would hear a cracking sound similar to cracked glass. I was going at about 45mph when a pebble from a truck hit my windshield and cracked it immediately afterwards.
The chunk of ice was intact in the rear view mirror. It was about -15 degrees, so it would have still been pretty solid. Have you seen the damage hail can do?

Most of my drive is on the highway and I've taken a few pebbles also. A couple of surface scratches so far, but no real damage. im sure my day will come. I'm just not convinced that there's an issue with the strength of the windshield itself. Unless maybe there was a bad batch?

Last edited:

Jon Snow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic Blue Metallic
Country flag
Windshield repair place here in CA told me none available, he called Honda and they gave him a 6 month estimate. Which is insane, hopefully it can't be that long. Fortunately mine is cracked but there's no hole in it so I guess I can continue to drive with it while I'm waiting.
Sponsored